Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Dubia Cockcroaches feeders for large fish

More
16 Apr 2011 08:37 #1 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Blaptica dubia.

I haven’t done a complete set of photos for these showing male/female differences…but, as opposed to locusts, there is probably no need.

These are an excellent food for reptiles, amphibians, tarantulas, and large fish.
(and, in my opinion, would also be good for human consumption)

The Dubia Cockroach can be obtained from some pet shops as a feeder insect for reptiles.

They are not the dreaded cockroach of house-destruction fame.
This species is a very poor climber; it cannot fly; and it is unlikely to breed outside of its breeding container in a house.

The ability to gut these animals is quite impressive: fed on a variety of choice food, the gut-loading will be passed onto fish (or other animals) that eat them.
Hence, if you have a large Arowana who really won’t eat the goodness in an orange then gut-load the cockroach with orange and that will do it.

Sexing:
Adult males have large wings; younger males have larger wing buds.

Lifespan:
Males 9-12 months; females 18-24 months.

Starting your culture:
Buy as many starter animals as possible. Crowding helps breeding and gives a kick start to a colony.
I started my present colony, however, with only 12 individuals. I found that there is no need to ‘have to buy’ a 100 adults (as some would say)

Setting up a breeding container:
Have a container of 10 litres or above.
Make sure it has some ventilation (drill holes in top and at the higher end of the sides if using a plastic container).

I use a coire (coco-husk) compost and orchid bark as a substrate. But you could have a bare bottomed breeding container.

On top of that I place many (and I mean many) egg cartons.

Spray luke water on the odd occasion, but most water should be obtained from the food.
If water availability is too low then molting could be difficult and it seems as though lack of water may encourage cannibalism. !

Too much water and humidity will cause rot and molds to grow as well disrupt molting.
Have the temperature set at 25 to 30 C.

Feeding:
There are lots of foods available.
Oranges are about the best….and a must for good colony.

Other foods include apples, dandelions, rocket, breakfast cereal (oats, ready-brek).

Breeding:
You need do nothing special.

The adults mature at about 4 months, and will breed within a month after that.

The females will store the eggs in an Ootheca within a special ‘pouch’ for about 1 month.
After that month, the young will hatch….and that looks like she is giving birth as a live-bearer.

The small babies (about 5mm long) are ghost white, but soon colour up.
Leave the young in the colony, and feed what the ever the adults eat.

These also make great pets.

Ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds