Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

absoultely scared rigid male

More
19 Sep 2011 21:35 #1 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
I very recently got a pair of wild apisto Macmasteri :cool: , they have settled in fantastically but here comes the weird part, i have placed them in a 2'x1'x15" tank with 8 nannostomus morthanlerei (excuse spelling) and 6 cory venezualan reds, some plants a few caves and leaf litter, now the female has gone into breeding dress and every time she sees the male she does her corting dance and guess what the male does...... legs it to the nearest bunch of plants and hides :crazy: ... any suggestions folks :blink:

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Sep 2011 22:29 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: absoultely scared rigid male
Gay Macmasteri?

Kev.

More
19 Sep 2011 23:17 #3 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
Get him an ironing board and a copy of Cosmopolitan magazine.

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 Sep 2011 23:35 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

More
20 Sep 2011 10:34 #5 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
ironing board and cosmo didnt work ;) anything else

More
20 Sep 2011 12:22 #6 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

ironing board and cosmo didnt work ;) anything else

You need to get him to have empathy after doing the ironing and reading Cosmo, not just do it or read it.
When she asks if her bum looks big in her new outfit.....he should know from reading cosmo that he cannot say 'yes' and he cannot say 'no' either: it is a fine balance to tread when aksed such questions.

But failing all metro-man advice, the natural world is quite ruthless when it comes to a duff male trying to attract a female.
He may be showing signs only obvious to the female that he is not going to be good enough at tending the young (for example).

I've seen many a superb siamese fighter do a fantastic dance ritual, but when the female finally got tempted to go to the nest....and saw that he was a duffer with a crap nest then the male suddenly became a victim.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
20 Sep 2011 21:36 #7 by murph (Tony Murphy)
If he won't take to a vacuum cleaner and play Freddy, it's always best to buy more than one "pair" of apistos. The males will fight to the death to impress the females, who will then be sufficiently wowed to surrender their eggs to the winner. They might kill him later, if not suitably impressed, but shit happens.

More
21 Sep 2011 01:17 #8 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
strangely enough i tried this approach today and now i have two males cowering in the corner from her... any other ideas guys

More
21 Sep 2011 08:38 - 22 Sep 2011 07:11 #9 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Try this link

<link deleted>
Last edit: 22 Sep 2011 07:11 by ().

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Sep 2011 08:52 #10 by stretnik (stretnik)
Any point in putting in a divider to allow the Males and Females familiarise themselves with each other?

Kev.

More
22 Sep 2011 00:19 #11 by murph (Tony Murphy)

strangely enough i tried this approach today and now i have two males cowering in the corner from her... any other ideas guys

Is there still the one female?
When there's more, they usually get off the blob quickly enough and compete for the male, when suitably impressed with their choice. Unless she plays tennis........

More
22 Sep 2011 00:37 #12 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
yep still 1 female and 2 males and she frightens the hell out of both of them

More
22 Sep 2011 01:38 #13 by ger310 (Ger .)
jaysus christy,please tell me this is a mistake.....ehh delete please,kids look at this forum!!!!

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

• ()
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Sep 2011 07:15 #14 by ()
Replied by () on topic Re: absoultely scared rigid male
link deleted in post above :ohmy:

More
22 Sep 2011 08:39 #15 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)

jaysus christy,please tell me this is a mistake.....ehh delete please,kids look at this forum!!!!

The link that was deleted was for a site that is dedicated to (wait for it) ..... FLY FISHING . Why do some people always assume the worst :crazy:

More
22 Sep 2011 12:51 #16 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
because if you had clicked on it christy it certainly didnt bring you to flyfishing

More
22 Sep 2011 13:41 - 22 Sep 2011 13:43 #17 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
:blush: :blush: :blush:

My attempt at humour has fairly backfired on me. Sincere apologies to all. I'll be sure to double check links in the future.

Last edit: 22 Sep 2011 13:43 by christyg (Chris Geraghty).

More
22 Sep 2011 14:52 #18 by ger310 (Ger .)

My attempt at humour has fairly backfired on me. Sincere apologies to all. I'll be sure to double check links in the future.

No harm done Christy,easy mistake to make :lol: :lol: :lol:

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
22 Sep 2011 17:43 #19 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)
No harm no foul christy just a case of double check all posts just in case, anyway if the males are frightened of a female imagine what's seeing a fish caught on the fly would do to them, heart attack central

Time to create page: 0.059 seconds