Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

new 60l tank

More
08 Apr 2012 00:55 #1 by minnion (jimmy white)
hi guys just bought a secondhand 60l tank yesterday was thinking of putting in a pair of convects but not sure maby a pair or small group of small mbunas have coral sand and rocks set up just need to ad water and fish any ideas if anyone has fish that would suit that would be cool looking foward to some help here cheers :unsure:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Apr 2012 13:59 #2 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Replied by BillG (Bill Gray) on topic Re: new 60l tank
Its a matter of personal choice if you decide to put convicts or mbuna into the tank, but it is not recommended to keep convicts in less that 100l and mbuna in less than 150 to 180l. There are other options for smaller cichlid species such as the shell dwellers or perhaps Kribensis that would be much happier in a tank of 60l. Would not recommend keeping more than one pair of any cichlid in the tank either as territorial disputes will definitely result in serious aggression in such confined quarters.

More
08 Apr 2012 15:32 #3 by minnion (jimmy white)
kribensis sound like a good choice nice fish how many would u put in i'll have to read up on them
thanks for taking the time to post

More
08 Apr 2012 15:40 #4 by Bettaria (Pedro Santos)

but it is not recommended to keep convicts in less that 100l

Why is that ???

I thought the fish only grew at a certain proportion with the enviroment their put into ????

IBC (International Betta Congress) Proud Member
PBA (Portuguese Betta Association) Proud Member
BP (Betta Portugal) Proud Member

More
08 Apr 2012 15:40 #5 by BillG (Bill Gray)
Replied by BillG (Bill Gray) on topic Re: new 60l tank
Would still only put a pair of Kribensis into a 60l. About the best option is to get a pair in the tank. You have 2 options regarding a getting a pair, you can buy a pair from a shop or you can get a group of 5 to 6 juveniles and once you get an established pair, remove the rest from the tank.
Where are you based? If you are interested, I have a group of 8 juveniles ranging from 35 to 45mm that I am looking to re-home at the moment. There is a mix of males and females in the group and they are from 2 different sets of parents too, so there is a bit of genetic diversity in the group. If you are not too far away from me, then you are welcome to some or all free of charge.
Would suggest doing some research on them as they make a good community tank fish too :) so there are plenty of tank-mates you could add with them.

More
08 Apr 2012 16:01 #6 by minnion (jimmy white)
im in monasterevin kildare i've been reeding up on them since your last post and it was suggested that u put in other fish like rosey barbs to chace because the barbs are fast to curb agression it all sounds cool to me thanks very much for your offer would love to take u up on it if poss my only issue at the moment is transport and the fact i dont know dublin to well

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Apr 2012 16:16 #7 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: new 60l tank
Shelldwellers.

Kev.

More
08 Apr 2012 16:29 #8 by minnion (jimmy white)
which type and from which lake

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds