Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Please Help!

More
28 Apr 2012 21:09 #1 by LukeB (Luke Kennedy)
Okay I've been asked to set up a large 800 liter tank. I wanna put malawis in there but im just not 100% sure how many to put in there. I was thinking of around 25-30 but last time it looked a tad empty with only that amount. I'm just looking for some advice as to how frequent i should do water changes, how many fish and if anyone has any advice for me as this is the biggest project ive taken on to date. Plus i'll get fired if i screw up :P hahathanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Apr 2012 22:53 #2 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Are you putting adults in or juvies if your using juvies you can add a lot more but when they mature you might have to cut down the numbers as for water changes what filtration are you gonna use I would recommend external x2 depending on the filter as 800l with malawis will be heavy on the filter. water changes go weekly is always a good start and if you need more or less depending on the filtration you'll know

More
28 Apr 2012 23:25 #3 by LukeB (Luke Kennedy)
Its a build in trickle filter. the sump below it is 100 something liters. It's been going for quite some time. Nearly 4 and a half years at this stage but it was recentally drained. having a bit of a snail crisis too :P i was thinking of juvenilles but i dont wanna have to remove some when they are older. I have a species list made out of about 9 diff types and a plec. the count so far is 25 fish :) hopefully 14_15 females and only 9-10 males. Really dont know if thats enough tho. :( whould i need an extra external filter do you think? thanks very much. any idea of % a week in water changes with all the abgove in mind? :P thank youuu

More
29 Apr 2012 10:32 #4 by john gannon (John Gannon)
Hi Luke
Why not go for a male only tank there more colorful and it would cut down on aggression
You say that the tank was recently drained ,was it left empty does the filter need to be re established if so stock the tank slowly ,is there fish still in the tank .
What fish have you got in mind ,post up a list it would be nice to see ,
Best of luck with the project and don't forget the photos
John

IRISH TROPICAL FISH SOCIETY CLUB MEMBER

More
29 Apr 2012 10:42 #5 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
5 to 6 fish per square foot is a good starting point.
And lots of rocks, lots.
And as has been said, double filtration, and weekly water changes.
I did 25% in my Malawi setup

More
30 Apr 2012 20:33 #6 by LukeB (Luke Kennedy)
its re establishing at the minute. i wanna give it another few days-two weeks. filter still has its bacteria and all that rigmarole :P

im hoping to put in the following. most of which ive tried myself in my own set up.

Pseudotropheus elongatus chailasi (red x 2 and yellow x 2)
maylanda zebra x 2
yellow labs x 4
aulonacara kandeensis (blue orchard) x 2
aulonacara jacobfreibergi x 2
metriaclima estherae (orange x 2)
albino ice blues x 2
giraffe x 2
pseudotropheus demasoni x 2
and ofc a pleco :P

i'm not too worried about aggro coz id love to be a daddy :P
Attachments:

More
01 May 2012 22:42 #7 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
That size tank with a sump could hold 60-80 mbuna no worries.more mbuna less agression. You could go with big groups of loads of different mbuna. In a big tank like that i would go for bigger haps as it will take you a long time to source 80 fish.

Follow me up to Carlow

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds