Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

mixed cichlid tank advice please? video & pic aded

More
02 May 2012 08:59 - 05 May 2012 07:22 #1 by liamcutting (liam)
Hi guys i guess you could say im kinda new to the hobby (tho not really its just work then lack of work and other commitments have had me in and out of it the past few years) i have a 200ltr up and running for a while now and looking nice (well i think so) with mixed African cichlids,what im wondering is how many fish should i have in the tank? id love to be able to get to seahorse every time i wanted to get a fish so i know exactly what fish im buying and get advice but that's not possible really with working nights and other things,from what i can tell from online fish identification i have the following in the tank at the min:

(Cynotilapia white top) x2
(Labidochromis yellow) x1
(Melanochromis auratus) x1
(Pseudotropheus sp acei) x2
(unknown) x1 this one is all orange with kinda a bump on his head?
(unknown) x1 this one i got from the same tank as the acei and is all brown with jade green eyes and he kinda has a thicker jaw if that makes any sense?

plus:

red minor serpae tetra x1
cherry barb x1
common pleco x2
unknown alge eater/sucker x1

The biggest cichlid in the tank is roughly 4inch give or take and both plecos are at least 6inch,there's loads of rocks and fake plants in the tank for the fish to swim in and out of, the tank itself is 4ft.

One other thing Ive noticed the last couple of days is one of my fish isn't eating and is behaving weird like shaking his head and rubbing it off of the rocks and gravel and doing a lot of yawning, he seems reluctant to want to move from one area of the tank,also he does seem to be getting bullied a little bit by the 2/3 bigger guys would that be it? i get my water tested every week from my local pet shop (im rubbish i know) and im told its good,to be honest i do a weekly water change of 10% sometimes more if needed with evaporation (open top tank) and i rarely have a fish die or get sick like the only fish that's not made it in the tank in the past year was an angel and im pretty sure he just got the shite kicked out of him,
All advice and comments welcome,

Thanks
liam.

heres a video i took yesterday morning,i have 2x 20kg 10mm bags of coral sand to go in im just still trying to figure out what to do about the ph levels

also im going to try add a picture of the cichlid i was saying about getting bullied ,i think she is carrying eggs in her mouth :)

Last edit: 05 May 2012 07:22 by liamcutting (liam). Reason: forgot to add the video lol

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 May 2012 09:12 #2 by SouthAfricanInIreland (Ryan Dokter)
some pictures would be great, when you get a chance, otherwise it sounds like a great setup

More
03 May 2012 10:54 #3 by liamcutting (liam)
yeh i just got my camera back today so will try get some up later this evening

More
05 May 2012 07:41 #4 by liamcutting (liam)
couple of pics maybe some1 could help me find out the names of these guys

More
05 May 2012 19:18 #5 by SouthAfricanInIreland (Ryan Dokter)
Some fantastic specimens there, not sure what they are as i'm still a noob but if i had to wager a guess i would say they were african variety, more specifically Malawi cichlids but i stand corrected, sorry i can't help more

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds