Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Tank size suitable?

More
30 Jul 2013 18:14 #1 by Finn86 (Paul Finnegan)
Hi guys, just a quick question, is a 4ft x 2ft x 2ft clearseal aquarium large enough to house a single male green terror (gold saum) for life, maybe even a female down the road? Ive read conflicting reviews online and from what I can see the majority of GT'S grow no bigger than 8 to 9 inches, with 12 possible. so any opinions on this? Thanks B)

Oh ill add that the filter is an external aqua one aquis 1250, with air stone running 24/7

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2013 20:17 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I'd think that was temporary digs at best for a green terror. Even if he only grew to 8 inches he'd still end up looking oversized in that tank; they're a heavy, thickset fish. And adding a female would be a possible disaster. There's no guarantee that they'd take to each other and she could end up getting torn a new @£$€hole. They don't call 'em terrors fer nuthin'! :evil:

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
30 Jul 2013 20:25 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Oops. I misread the dimensions. You probably could keep a green terror in a tank that size as a species tank. Rather than adding a female later though, I'd still go for trying to get them to pair off as juveniles

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
30 Jul 2013 21:28 #4 by Finn86 (Paul Finnegan)
Thanks for the reply, I only want to keep a species tank, the male I have now is close to 5 inches, I didnt want to get any females that he had in the tank with him in the lfs because they were prob siblings, im going to look around now for a few females and put maybe 3 in with him and give the others back as they pair off. The main thing was tank size, I want to enjoy the fish not feel bad everytime I look at him :laugh:

More
30 Jul 2013 21:49 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
They are a seriously good looking fish, one of my favourites. Wish I had a tank big enough for one :-((

More
30 Jul 2013 21:58 #6 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Have a green terror in my 350
Beautiful fish with fantastic temperament, never seems to be acting aggressively but has odvious respect from tank mates
Also when I put in fish (small convicts) wondering if they might survive or be eatten, he guarded them from a few others that were trying to attack them!

More
30 Jul 2013 22:17 #7 by Finn86 (Paul Finnegan)
I love green terrors, they are by far my favourite big fish, apisto cacatuoides being my fav small, I always wanted a nice large display fish so im delighted with him.

Have you any pictures of yours? What size is he now?

More
30 Jul 2013 22:18 #8 by davey_c (dave clarke)
I had a breeding pair of gt's in a substantially smaller tank and they were fine once there were no eggs present. The male was 7" and the female was 5". I had the male in a 120L tank with community tankmates till he was 5 or 6 inches and he was fine but when I got the female too I put them in a larger tank... she was the demon but their a fantastic fish. The only thing I'd say is without tankmates ye won't get to see him in all his glory fending against other equally aggressive cichlids whereas a female will show straight out why they got their name once she's defending eggs... she'd nearly come through the glass at ye :lol:
I'd love a silver saum or red saum with the latter being my preference but haven't seen a silver in a few years and only pics of reds because of how rare they are.

Anyways I'd say you'd be fine with the mentioned tank even with a pair but if they do breed I'd suggest a non-transparent devider for obvious reasons ;)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
30 Jul 2013 22:38 #9 by Finn86 (Paul Finnegan)
Ive read so much about green terrors in the last few days my head is going to explode, is the white saum the "true" GT? amazing fish none the less, and ive never seen a red in person or even heard of anyone having one, I think the red would be my first choice. would I be best off getting another cichlid about 6 inches or so instead of the female? This is going to sound ridiculous but I thought he might get lonely never receiving a "womans touch" :laugh: typical male thinking eh? :lol:

Here he is in all his glory

More
30 Jul 2013 22:41 - 30 Jul 2013 22:48 #10 by Finn86 (Paul Finnegan)
I cant upload pictures at the moment so ill try again another time :)
Last edit: 30 Jul 2013 22:48 by Finn86 (Paul Finnegan). Reason: no photo attached

More
30 Jul 2013 23:57 #11 by davey_c (dave clarke)
The saum is the fake green terror regardless of colour. The real gt is a silver but with their scale pattern colour opposite to the fake. Rare aquatics had a true gt for sale last year but from what I remember the price was mental... wouldn't be surprised if they still have it :laugh:
Its much of a muchness whether ye get a tankmate or female gt, at least with a tankmate 1 will put the other in its place and it could be like that for a long time with the dominant thing whereas with a female, everytime they breed your half waiting on her to kill him and it does happen or if she doesn't accept him he could kill her so there are risks either way. If you were going the tankmate route though I would say a jaguar cichlid would be a nice addition

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
01 Aug 2013 17:20 #12 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)

Theres mine, about 4.5 - 5 inch
An absolutely stunning fish

More
02 Aug 2013 19:58 #13 by Finn86 (Paul Finnegan)
Really nice terror hammie, mine is around that size as well, looking forward to watching him grow :) I was thinking about adding a salvini but havent read much about them, good or bad idea?

More
02 Aug 2013 20:29 #14 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Have a small salvini in with my lot
No issues so far

More
02 Aug 2013 21:40 #15 by davey_c (dave clarke)
I also had a salvini and had to move it on because he was terrorising everything in with him... cracking fish though.

Hammie thats a nice little gt, looks a female to me :dry:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
03 Aug 2013 07:24 #16 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
To be honest I am not fully sure what sex terry is.......
But a beautiful healthy fish that I would be heart broken to loose for any reason

Time to create page: 0.061 seconds