Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Biodiversity and Invasive Species. Links

More
01 Apr 2011 19:37 #1 by igmillichip (ian millichip)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Apr 2011 20:35 - 01 Apr 2011 20:47 #2 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Biodiversity and Invasive Species. Links
The greatest defence this Country has re Invasive Plant Species is our Geographical position on the Planet.

I have been growing sub-Tropical species of plants for decades, as the years progressed, more and more were making it through the winters as they probressively got less and less cold, I grew plants from practically every continent, I even grew these
Datura sanguinea.
outdoors along with
Erythrina crista-gali

Each year there was less and less damage and the plants recovered quickly and flowered well. If the trend had continued, I have no doubt that I would have gotten to the point where Seed would have been produced and it might have been viable, however, the last two Winters have reversed the process and everything was killed, no half measures this time, scuttled beyond belief.

This cyclical cold is what keeps natives natives. This is not to say that plants continue to surprise with their genetic disposition toward Hardiness and will continue to surprise.

Plants from countries that have similar climatic conditions like ours, ie. The UK etc. Could thrive but being from outside the 32 Counties they still are called exotics and are.

Plants exhibit hardiness by surviving temps they are used to but the amount of direct, warm sunshine is a huge contributor to a plant surviving freezing, I had an Agave americana, 5 ft x 5 ft and thriving for the last 8 years, a huge monster but it suffered badly but in it's native habitat in Nevada and across the Northern USA it survives temps way below our coldest. Sunshine produces Sugars that behave like Anti-freeze and prevent cells from rupturing due to the formation of Ice crystals which cause a mush like appearance after a deep freeze.

Plant hunters in the 18th Century brought back all manners of species from their trips with Darwin and Cook etc., little consideration was given to invasive species then and given the legacy of Ireland under British rule, we inherited things like Heracleum montagazzianum or Giant Hog Weed , Balsam and Japanese knotweed, Fallopia japonica which are at plague proportions as is Rhododendron ponticum, a beautiful Plant but a really difficult to eradicate Plant. I think this is what lead to the dismal record we have on protecting what is ours but it doesn't stop at Plants, our inherited beautiful Georgian architecture was being demolished to beat the Band until someone stood up to Dublin Corporation and forced a re-think.

OK, I'm done and sorry for the long-winded if irrelevant reply.

Kev.
Last edit: 01 Apr 2011 20:47 by stretnik (stretnik).

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Apr 2011 20:52 #3 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Biodiversity and Invasive Species. Links
Here are a few interesting links:

www.japaneseknotweedireland.com/

This Garden was owned by a friend of mine in Howth, he is no longer among us but remembered.

www.earlscliffe.com/picture_gallery.htm

www.geneticheritageireland.ie/growingwild/habitatinvasive.htm

Kev.

More
01 Apr 2011 21:11 #4 by murph (Tony Murphy)
Nice Datura! Glengarrif was the only place I was aware of them growing well outdoors in Ireland before this.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
01 Apr 2011 21:25 #5 by stretnik (stretnik)
Nope, a few places were successful, i did manage to get viable seed but because the plant is pollinator specific I had to Hand pollinate, the tuber like stem which was very bulky under ground sprouted each year for about 5 years and flowered toward the end of summer, I currently have Hedychium Greenii, gardnerianum, spicata and a host of other Himalayan Gingers growing outside and flowering beautifully.

Roscoea grow and provide seed and Edgeworthias which are stated to be half hardy just finished flowering and they were superb.
I suspect Glengarrif lost a huge amount of species, especially their succulent collection.

Kev.

More
01 Apr 2011 22:02 #6 by murph (Tony Murphy)
I spent a lot of 1990's summers down there. Haven't been down there much since 2000. I would have thought Garnish would be pretty immune to harsh winters, with the size of the body of warm water enclosed within the bay.
The OPW's concept of garden managment would have been (i.e. WAS) far more destructive there than a cold winter.

More
02 Apr 2011 01:08 #7 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
What's this got to do with fishkeeping?????????

More
02 Apr 2011 08:24 #8 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
.....a great deal to be honest.

One underlying point in any such legislation would be noting biological indicators as being a support or denial of the suggestions.

If we see invasive plants do well, then that is a biological indicator.
If we see turtles thrown into duck ponds and doing well, then that too is a biological indicator.

The legislation will tend to use those types of examples in addressing preventive measures against allowing fish species into the country.
It is not just about solving a problem species already in existence.

I bought some very nice little coldwater fish the other day.....Dace (Cyprinella lutrensis). If I still lived in the UK, the shop selling them would be required to have a special license for them and would be required by law to tell the Government agency my name and address. I wouldn't need a license though (under the present legislation) to keep them.

But this thread is supposed to be about conservation in general.....and anything that may be seen to be profoundly prompting a discussion on non-fish species will also be about fish and fish keeping.

A lot of the written info on what species will survive in Ireland has been based upon what will or won't survive outdoors in the UK.
Plants have been the main topic of discussion in the past as gardeners often use UK books in determining when to plant annuals etc etc. and what is hardy or not.

But we do see some interesting things here in Ireland....I know many tropical orchids will thrive outdoors all year round, but they would stand a chance in the UK.
I used to live up the hill from Avoca Handweavers outside Bray......they have some enormous Eucalyptus trees and conifers. The conifers (redwoods etc) are growing at an enormous rate....maybe Ireland will soon hold the world record for the tallest trees in the world??

Those indicators may show legislative bodies that they may want to review the species of fish sold....that may affect fish keeping.

I also think that as responsible fish keepers, we stand to inform the fish keeping community that being irresponsible and throwing an overgrown goldfish, koi, sun-fish or whatever into the local lake is the type of action that will make legislative bodies pull the strings up even tighter.

Failure of proper conservation efforts in the past have, in my opinion, been due to too much of a focus on single items. The broader picture needs to be looked at, and if the focus is fish then that focus needs to be widened to bring in other species. Hence, the posts on plants are a nice bit of sauce to add to the main meal.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
02 Apr 2011 08:30 - 02 Apr 2011 08:32 #9 by stretnik (stretnik)

What's this got to do with fishkeeping?????????

General Nature Conservation - News and Updates, doesn't specify anything so therefore anything pertaining to the topic is acceptable.

Kev.
Last edit: 02 Apr 2011 08:32 by stretnik (stretnik).

Time to create page: 0.045 seconds