Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

monster carp 3 off the yr so far 12 pounder

More
02 Mar 2013 10:54 #1 by eugene99 (eugene)
well lads and girl being ah up an down week for me great week angling but up and very down with my disuc tank mellin face dead was very bulled and small. the other two small one wouldt let it feed an my fully growing disuc is very very dark in colour being buy my water from the lfs for last month an half as my ph from the tap is 8 well hope ye like the clip

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Mar 2013 11:40 #2 by joey (joe watson)
errrm.... what clip?

More
02 Mar 2013 12:13 #3 by eugene99 (eugene)
wont go up it call carp eugo on utube whooper carp.....

More
02 Mar 2013 12:16 #4 by eugene99 (eugene)
Attachments:

More
02 Mar 2013 12:17 #5 by JohnH (John)
If you copy the URL from youtube and post that here the video will appear in your post.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
02 Mar 2013 12:22 #6 by eugene99 (eugene)

More
02 Mar 2013 12:35 #7 by JohnH (John)
I'm sorry to add a note of scepticism to your obvious pleasure at having caught this carp but you should not go fishing for such fish without a landing net and a soft unhooking mat.
You could have saved an awful lot of discomfort for the carp if you had had these.
Much as I loathe carp I still hate to see ill-treatment of even them.
Please - buy yourself a landing net and an unhooking mat - for the sake of the fish you catch.

John

ITFS member.

More
02 Mar 2013 13:36 #8 by eugene99 (eugene)
to be honest john you always have something negatibe to say. why dont you do your job an run the site and at the end off the day the carp swim away and in other country there eattin them and if in the furture you feel like add some off that negatibe do it on some one else away the same with you when i put something up rant over

More
02 Mar 2013 15:50 #9 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Nice fish eugo!
Was it caught in Dublin?
Are you using boilies or worms?
Well done!

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
02 Mar 2013 19:05 #10 by eugene99 (eugene)
yes was cot in dublin on dog treats was my 3 one this week so lucky.lads were fishing it all day an got nothing like 7 lads so not easy fished. fish are very easy spooked an sorry lads cant give out the location as the lads wouldnt be to happy about it.......

More
02 Mar 2013 19:26 #11 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Nuff said,
The sound of the traffic gave it away!

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
02 Mar 2013 20:57 #12 by JohnH (John)

to be honest john you always have something negatibe to say. why dont you do your job an run the site and at the end off the day the carp swim away and in other country there eattin them and if in the furture you feel like add some off that negatibe do it on some one else away the same with you when i put something up rant over

That wasn't negative, it was sound advice with the well-being of the fish at heart.

I firmly believe that no-one should go fishing without a landing net - I hope others here would agree with me.

Likewise, on hard ground it is very important to have something soft to lay your catch on while it is being unhooked.

Now, if you think that is negative perhaps you should choose to post your videos elsewhere.

John

ITFS member.

More
02 Mar 2013 21:08 #13 by sheag35 (Seamus Gillespie)

Hang on here a minute Eugene99, Johnh is voicing a genuine concern for the welfare of the fish and not being negative at all...i think you owe him and apology, i have been angling for 30+ years and would never go out with out such equipment, this opinion is not being negative it is being constructive, this is a site for voicing our opinions whether you agree or not, if you dont like getting comments be they constructive positive or negative then i suggest you dont post. i mean you can hardly comment on how this site is run with 24 posts in 14 months as a member

Fishkeeping the Only way to get wet and wild

currently 25 tanks, and breeding is the aim of everything i keep

More
02 Mar 2013 22:44 #14 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

Hang on here a minute Eugene99, Johnh is voicing a genuine concern for the welfare of the fish and not being negative at all...i think you owe him and apology, i have been angling for 30+ years and would never go out with out such equipment, this opinion is not being negative it is being constructive, this is a site for voicing our opinions whether you agree or not, if you dont like getting comments be they constructive positive or negative then i suggest you dont post. i mean you can hardly comment on how this site is run with 24 posts in 14 months as a member

+1 Sheag.......Eugene, you have som brass neck criticizing John.....go post this cruelty somewhere else....u wanna fish, then do I responsibly or don't doit at all....at least don't go posting it here and giving out shite for nothing but responsible advice....why is John so wrong? It's a no brainer....

More
02 Mar 2013 23:03 #15 by joey (joe watson)

+1 Sheag.......Eugene, you have som brass neck criticizing John.....go post this cruelty somewhere else....u wanna fish, then do I responsibly or don't doit at all....at least don't go posting it here and giving out shite for nothing but responsible advice....why is John so wrong? It's a no brainer....

+ 1 from me too
eugene - you were lucky no serious damage was done to the fish and just because people poach means that YOU can to handle fish irresponsibly? now i'm not having a go i appreciate anyone practising catch and release but there are a few bits of equipment that are essential for responsible angling and its a habit that other responsible anglers, such as john or sheag, pass on through their knowledge and experience

and john does a lot of work for this forum, for fish keeping and angling, something you need to respect and appreciate

More
02 Mar 2013 23:11 #16 by eugene99 (eugene)
you lads are gas fish had ah hook in it mouth not ah sofa under his ass it a fish im out there hunting them not looking to rear it in my tank its angling not fish keeping an if i wanted to kill the fish i would be well in my power to do so but why.....love carp an love fishing an most off all love my tank so you lads off the mark...an as landing net go"s do have one but not to hand an as math go"s look at the clip grass all round.you"S ever have to carry al the gear to carp.....lot off gear.......

More
02 Mar 2013 23:25 #17 by joey (joe watson)

you lads are gas fish had ah hook in it mouth not ah sofa under his ass

yes it did have a hook in its mouth. something that can pull and damage its mouth, in turn affecting its feeding. i have caught a few fish with old mouth injuries and its not pretty you wonder how they feed. hang 12lb of you from a size 8 or whatever hook, and see how you like it.
i am angling for just 2 years and had a landing net nearly before i got a rod. i now have 3 landing nets including a new specimen/pike net even though i mostly fish for smaller silvers - i have it just in case.

ah sofa under his ass its a fish im out there hunting them not looking to rear it in my tank its angling not fish keeping

and so are those of us that post in the angling section of a fish keeping forum. we do both! look at my recent post in this section - i've been doing alot more fishing that i feed my own fish lol, so my ass barely touches a sofa

you"S ever have to carry al the gear to carp.....lot off gear.......

yes. plus my coarse gear and pike gear depending on venue. sometimes 2 trips nearly a mile over fields. but its what i do to make sure i have everything i need for fishing and SAFE HANDLING and return of caught fish.

by the sounds of it on the video, a road was not too far away...

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds