Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

fly fishin season almost here

More
25 Feb 2014 20:32 #1 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Another few days n it'll be time to wet the waders again... hopefully they won't leak but anyone else preparing, better still tying flies or thinking of taking it up?
:)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Feb 2014 20:38 #2 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
Never appealed to me,
The fly fishing,
I used to fish my local river with a hand line one hook and a pocket full of garden worms :laugh:
Now there's a challenge for you,
In all fairness I Used to catch some nice trout
That way and it was great fun,
Different strokes for different folks I guess B)

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
25 Feb 2014 20:40 #3 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Big day planed for monday, Open day on the lake here is Saturday its private run lake so it will be packed and hard to find a good spot without someone else trying to catch the same fish. I leave it to my father to tie the flys and have my fly rod setup lol it keeps him happy
and he uses my fly rood as a second setup so its handy for me and no messing on the side of the lake.

Something fishie going on here

More
25 Feb 2014 21:00 #4 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Ill be out in a week or two
New waders are priority atm

More
25 Feb 2014 21:18 #5 by Debrick (Ciaran barrett)
Looking forward to heading home for a spot of fly fishing , as I don't eat trout my local publican is willing to trade pints for fish , always a gud deal

More
25 Feb 2014 21:30 #6 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Looking forward to the season. It should be great fun. Cannot wait for all the competition s and making more New friends.
Pints for fish having heard that in YEARS. Do u fish rivers and lake's

More
25 Feb 2014 21:34 #7 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Started off with a line on a stick myself but luckily enough that stream was only 3foot wide :P
Good to see your stickin at it hammie, must be gettin a liking for it again :)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
25 Feb 2014 21:48 #8 by davey_c (dave clarke)

Big day planed for monday, Open day on the lake here is Saturday its private run lake so it will be packed and hard to find a good spot without someone else trying to catch the same fish. I leave it to my father to tie the flys and have my fly rod setup lol it keeps him happy
and he uses my fly rood as a second setup so its handy for me and no messing on the side of the lake.

Nothing like some quality time without the wimmens :P
Haven't tied a fly myself yet but was thinking of giving it a shot this year although if I had of used my head I should have used the winter time instead of valuable casting time but anyhow B)
Liking the sound of your lake though :)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
25 Feb 2014 21:52 #9 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
pints for fish lol :cool:
pity my local pub has not got a deal like yours
Debrick its right next to the river
so i never go home.

More
25 Feb 2014 22:20 #10 by Debrick (Ciaran barrett)
I like to fish the river , we have small river called the Geal it's in west limerick , nice few brown trout in it , but at the end of July 1 few weeks in August we get a run of sea trout , and nite time fly fishing is the best way to catch them , 2 pints per sea trout sweet as a nut

More
25 Feb 2014 22:23 #11 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Yes that sounds good. We cannot take them on the east coast. But I normally just fish for Brown's on lakes and rivers

More
25 Feb 2014 22:26 #12 by JohnH (John)

I like to fish the river , we have small river called the Geal it's in west limerick , nice few brown trout in it , but at the end of July 1 few weeks in August we get a run of sea trout , and nite time fly fishing is the best way to catch them , 2 pints per sea trout sweet as a nut

Sounds really good, nighttime Sea Trout fishing - that's the bee's knees (putting it politely).

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
26 Feb 2014 04:04 #13 by killiman (Jon Lobello)
Opening day of stream trout fishing here in Michigan is not until the last saturday in April; however, trout can be had in the Great Lakes year round and certain sections of rivers are open year round for migratory rainbow trout(steelhead) and brown trout. I usually flyfish brook trout (S. fontinalis) exclusively in the summertime and I'll also fish Bluegill with my flypole on local ponds. And, yes, I do tye all my own flys. My favorite fly are wooly worms, wooly buggers, muddler minnows, egg sucking leachs (it's a variation of the wooly bugger), bead headed wooly bugger and various types of grasshopper flys.
I'm not a dryfly fisherman. In the fall when Coho salmon start rnuning the rivers I switch back to using bait (salmon row tied into nylon mess bags--spawnbags), nightcrawlers (large earthworms) , spinners and cranks baits such as rapalas and flatfish. Right now it is way too cold out and I can't wait for the snow and ice to go away.There is over 3 feet of ice onthe inland lakes around here right now.
jon

More
05 Mar 2014 12:12 - 05 Mar 2014 12:56 #14 by JohnH (John)
Myself and James (irish-zx10r) ventured out on Monday March 3 and, after a dreadful weekend's weather we were blessed with a quite pleasant afternoon.

James was rewarded with a smallish Rainbow Trout with his first cast and I suddenly thought 'this was going to be too easy' but - as usual with fishing - that wasn't to be!

Anyway, we fished on and around 3.45 I finally caught a quite nice pound-plus Brown Trout, after quite a lot of half-hearted takes where the fish were pulling at the flies without actually taking them (I think the 'fishing' term is "coming short"). I changed to a smaller fly and that had the hoped-for result.

It was carefully unhooked and returned to hopefully become a three-pounder next time we meet.

Although I fished on for a while afterwards that was to be my only fish caught.

It's a very nice lake, well worth a trip across to the Midlands for a day's 'water-whipping'.
Very well maintained with platforms all around the lake and - for the less-youthful among us each one has a seat upon which to rest weary bones. A nice touch is that each seat is hinged so that when not used it can be folded forward to stop it becoming a 'rain-trap', remaining dry for the next person wanting/needing to use it.
I has a nice car park too, no parking in mud!

Here are a few more snaps taken by James showing the Information Board and Fishery Map.

Oh yes, there are shelters placed back from the lake and set at strategic positions so you needn't get caught if a sudden downpour occurs

This lake has been in existence as a Fly Fishery for over ten years now and has been bailiffed by James' father - Jim - all the time.
There is hope a cabin will be able to be built onsite later this year too.

Give it a try - you can contact James here by PM for further information.

John

edit:
Has anyone else been out yet?

ITFS member.

Last edit: 05 Mar 2014 12:56 by JohnH (John). Reason: Addition

More
05 Mar 2014 12:28 - 05 Mar 2014 12:31 #15 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Sounds good. Never fished it. Glad u had a good day..anyone interested in a fish in. Lake steam river lake. A lot of us fish...
I am all up for it depending on the day. If we got enough interested we could have a few events or just a yearly get together
Last edit: 05 Mar 2014 12:31 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding).

More
05 Mar 2014 12:52 #16 by JohnH (John)

Sounds good. Never fished it. Glad u had a good day..anyone interested in a fish in. Lake steam river lake. A lot of us fish...
I am all up for it depending on the day. If we got enough interested we could have a few events or just a yearly get together

I'd be up for that - count me in.

John

ITFS member.

More
05 Mar 2014 13:09 #17 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)
Thanks John
It was a very enjoyable day and great to get away from everything for some piece and quite I won't say its relaxing lol once the trout start biting and not taking the fly proper some can get frustrated good job we caught a fish each. For anyone that has not visit the lake its a very nice place for a day out and its only 1 hour from either Galway or Dublin. My father is always there for help and tips and if I am not busy with kids and work I join up with anyone from here. One of the big projects for the lake this summer is a log cabin. Cloghan Village is only 1 mile so there is hot food toilets and light refreshments any other questions
Feel free to send me a pm or comment thanks
Irish-zx10r
James

More
06 Mar 2014 21:51 #18 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Nope, haven't gotten out yet because their flat out flooding the river from the dam up the road :(
Glad to hear someone got out and had a good day, nice pics john... must look that spot up myself sometime :)

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
06 Mar 2014 23:36 - 07 Mar 2014 01:06 #19 by JohnH (John)
I have to hold up my hands and confess that all pictures were taken either by James or his partner, Catherine.
Foolishly I left my camera in the car!

It was nice, though, to manage to get a bend in the rod, first fish this year!

John

ITFS member.

Last edit: 07 Mar 2014 01:06 by JohnH (John). Reason: Wrong name, changed it, sorry Catherine.

More
15 Mar 2014 22:08 #20 by Tomi (Tomas Kurman)
Guys, just to let you know as someone might be interested on this one...
Newly formed NCFFI Predator Club will be organizing qualifier for the National Team to represent Ireland on the Bank Lure Fishing Championships in Bulgaria in May 2014.
I'm not sure if it is ok to post link here, so if someone will be interested all information and rules can be found on NCFFI Predator Club page on Facebook.

Special thanks to James and Tommy for their help :cool:

More
15 Mar 2014 22:53 #21 by irish-zx10r (James feenan)

Guys, just to let you know as someone might be interested on this one...
Newly formed NCFFI Predator Club will be organizing qualifier for the National Team to represent Ireland on the Bank Lure Fishing Championships in Bulgaria in May 2014.
I'm not sure if it is ok to post link here, so if someone will be interested all information and rules can be found on NCFFI Predator Club page on Facebook.

Special thanks to James and Tommy for their help :cool:

I am delighted to help, hopefully this will put Cloghan Lake on the map

James

More
15 Mar 2014 23:02 #22 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
What we have to Do to qualify

More
16 Mar 2014 00:15 #23 by Tomi (Tomas Kurman)
You just need to catch more fish than everybody else ;-)

Bank Lure World championships qualifier is organized to select National Team to represent Ireland on the Bank Lure World Championship in Bulgaria- May 2014

INTRODUCTION

To take a part in the Bank Qualifier you must be a member of the NCFFI Predator Club (membership is £20/25 euro).

Additional entry fee for each qualifier apply, and is set at £20/ 25 euro, paid towards the NCFFI Predator Club to secure funding to send the NATIONAL TEAM to the main event, and to cover the costs of qualifier organization.

Also this qualifier will require all anglers to pay further 15 euro (no sterling equivalent) for the "day ticket" as this is private/ Club owned commercial water.

Qualifier will select 4 anglers as a National Team and two Reserves.

Maximum number of entries is limited to 30 anglers and all entries must be made to This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it., at first come first served basis. Confirmation email will be sent back.

Each competitor is expected to follow all the rules as stated here, and introduced and explained, before competition starts.

This is individual qualifier and all points will be awarded to the individual competitor. (*)

All participants must provide a non- fishing steward, which will be allocated to other entrant/s. There is a minimum of ONE steward for every two competitors. If you enter qualifier/ travelling with a friend who's also taking a part in the qualifier you are allowed to present ONE steward, otherwise individual entrants are obliged to provide ONE steward each.

Stewards are not allowed to help competitors in any way.

Fishing will start at 9 or 9.30am, but all competitors and stewards must show up for 8 am sharp!

Only brown trout and rainbow trout will count in this qualifier and every fish caught regardless of it's size will be awarded with 1 (one) point.

Fishing will be divided into 4 separate rounds and all scoring will be made individually for each round. Results from 4 rounds will be added to get final score. Angler with lesser number of points will become a winner.

Any competitor who don't catch the fish in any of the rounds will get number of points determined by number of anglers in the zone or total number of anglers (if zones will not be assigned) + one (1) penalty point for each round with no fish.

GENERAL RULES

1) All fish caught must be shown to the allocated steward, and after marking a point in the score sheet, must be released immediately after steward's confirmation of the catch.

2) All fish caught must be kept in the water, in the landing net, until allocated steward confirm the catch by giving unique signed on the day marker/ card to the competitor.

3) At this stage competitor must stop fishing, and lure must be out of the water. Fishing starts again, after releasing the fish and obtaining a marker/ card from the steward.

4) All foul hooked fish will not count (fish must be hooked by at least one hook attached to the head).

5) All fish lost and not landed in the hand or landing net, will not count.

6) All fish which will touch the ground at any point, (even when they are still in the net or hand) will not count.

7) All fish unable to swim off or found dead or dying after releasing, will not count and will get ONE penalty point (minus one point from total number of points)

8) Only artificial lures made of steel, wood, rubber and plastic may be used. "Fly" "aquatic larvae" (nymphs, buzzers etc.) imitations are not allowed.

9) Any type of natural bait such as fur, feather,(dressed hooks on spinners), natural skin, will not be allowed.

10) Hooks on lures can't be baited in any way.

11) It is not allowed to use any additional weight of any kind, on the line. Only lead headed hooks, or lead wire mounted on the lure may be used.

12) Drop shot, paternoster and other techniques are not allowed.

13) Groundbaiting is prohibited.

14) Each competitor must keep distance of minimum 20 meters from other competitor.

15) Each competitor must have landing net and unhooking pliers/ forceps.

16) Competitors may carry and assemble as many rods as they wish, but they are allowed to use only one rod at the time.

17) The length of the rods is limited to 2.75meters/ 9 feet.

18) All fishing starting/finishing times must be strictly followed.

19) Anglers are not allowed to wade or enter to the water.

All questions and issues raised by entrants before start of the competition, will be answered immediately and dealt with before commence of the qualifier.

Any breach of the rules 1, 2, 3, 6, 7, 14, 17, 18, 19 will result with a warning and 1 point reduction from the leg/ round.

Two warnings will result in immediate disqualification and entry fee will not be refunded.

Any breach of the rules 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, will results in immediate disqualification and entry fee will not be refunded.

Organizers decision is final on any matter.

(*) exact scoring procedure along with number of zones if any, pegs if any, legs/ rounds if any, will be announced after venue inspection, made by organizers.

More
16 Mar 2014 06:53 #24 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
Brown and rainbow trout.. ncffi starting a trout fishing club. But with lures no fLys. ...that is interesting

More
16 Mar 2014 12:02 #25 by Tomi (Tomas Kurman)
It's not NCFFI, staring the club. It's other way around and it is not trout club. It's Predator Club. Brown and rainbow trout are without a doubt predatory fish along with perch, pike, salmon and many other species which do not exist in Ireland but are included on FIPS-ed species list counted on International/ multi species events. On the main event in Bulgaria there will be 3 species of fish counted. Brown trout, rainbow trout and chub.
Obviously Ireland has no venue with those 3 species present so at least we got two.
This qualifier is organized to select best lure trout anglers to compete on the main Event on the same species and under the same rules.

More
14 Apr 2014 22:08 - 14 Apr 2014 22:09 #26 by Tomi (Tomas Kurman)
It was a cold and wet April day when the newly formed NCFFI Predator Club hosted the World Bank Lure Qualifiers at Loch Clochan in the Lough Boora Parklands. It was hard going in the conditions with casting at times difficult in some zones where the anglers where fishing for Rainbow and Brown Trout Despite the weather, an enjoyable day was had by all and some lovely Trout were caught by the nine anglers keen to secure a place in the Ireland Lure Team.

RESULTS
1ST......TOMI KURMAN.................QUALIFIED
2ND.....JACEK GORNY.................QUALIFIED
3RD.....COLIN RUTHERFORD......QUALIFIED
4TH......DAVID DENNIS...............QUALIFIED
5TH......LINDSAY MCFADDEN
6TH......STEVEN POWELL
7TH......ANDREW POWELL
8TH......Kanstantsin Markevich
9TH......MARK FLYNN
The top four anglers will represent Ireland at the FIPsed World Bank Lure Championships to be held in Bulgaria on the 17th & 18th May. Ireland will host this event in 2015.

I would like to thank James for all his help, and all guys at the Clochan lake.

Tomi
Last edit: 14 Apr 2014 22:09 by Tomi (Tomas Kurman).

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds