Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

468 liter planted tank

More
18 Apr 2014 11:55 #1 by swai (Simon)
Hi all,

So i've purchased a 468 liter Eheim Scubaline tank. I'm going to be starting a planted tank for the first time so i'll need a lot of help and info from some forum members in the near future.

What i have purchased so far.

Eheim Scubaline 460, 4 x 54watt T5
Eheim professional 3 external
5kg fire extinguisher co2 set up, solenoid etc
around 40kg of ADA amazonia with a small bit of JBL manado mixed in.
Vecton 600 UV stereliser

Tank should be with me in less then 2 weeks. As per the shop.

For now I need info on what diffuser/reactor i need for the co2 in a tank that big. The co2 set up i have came with a glass in tank diffuser which i don't think will cut it on a tank that large.

Are the inline diffusers my best option? or the reactors? I'm not really sure.

Any info appreciated.

Thanks.

Marino, Dublin 9

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Apr 2014 14:39 #2 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
Something very similar to what I am doing. (large Planted tank)

If you using a sump, Co2 is tricky to keep in the water unless you cover the sump.
With a large tank though you'll need to be pumping a good number of bubbles per second, you'll need a drop checker to get it right, but any diffuser is fine once the drop checker is installed

Not to sure what a reactor is in this context.

Keep water arrogation to a minimum,

ADA is the best from what i hear but when you put it in first do a 90% water changes for the first 3 or 4 days.
You shouldn't need ferts with that soil.

another piece of advise - be very careful with your lighting - too much and algae goes nuts, too low and the plants wont grow.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

Time to create page: 0.031 seconds