Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

plants

More
26 May 2006 06:18 #1 by Gavin (Gavin)
plants was created by Gavin (Gavin)
there is no way you will grow cuba with any success without c02.Most of the "grassy foreground" plants are the same unfortunately. :cry:

dont make me come over there.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 May 2006 14:32 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Looks like i will have to run another line and valve from my Co2. :cry:

More
30 May 2006 01:28 #3 by Gavin (Gavin)
Replied by Gavin (Gavin) on topic Re: plants
you'll need heaps of light for them too....

More
30 May 2006 14:43 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
light wont be a problem.
Would you sugest 4 or 6 wpg?

More
01 Jun 2006 02:44 #5 by Gavin (Gavin)
6 watts should be enough.t5 tubes are three times the strenght of normal tubes so they are ideal..

More
01 Jun 2006 18:45 #6 by zig (zig)
Replied by zig (zig) on topic Re: plants
CO2 will definatly help but unless this is a really small tank under 10 gallons 4-6 WPG is a lot of light and would need to be fertilised probably each day, i grow Hemianthus calitrichoides "Cuba" with 2.8WPG with no problem in a 40 gallon tank,

Its slow to take off in the beginning but eventually it will take hold after about a month, the gravel you use needs to be quite small because the roots of this plant are tiny, its also better to break the plant into as many small rooted pieces as you can and plant these about 1-2cms apart with a tweezers, this is a much better method IMO than planting it in larger clumps which will take a lot longer to grow and cover any sort of area, it can take upwards of a couple of hours to plant this plant properly in a aquarium to cover say a 24x6 area in the foreground. If you have fish that like digging this can also be a major problem as the plant is easily uprooted, a nutrient rich substrate will be of great benefit to this plant as well and help it carpet an area quicker.

Good luck with it.......dont forget to post the pics

:D

More
02 Jun 2006 00:50 #7 by Gavin (Gavin)
first layer laterite will do the trick as a fertiliser.It's the gift that keeps on giving.... :D

as for gravel try aquagrit. I've had great success with both.

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds