Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

fungis

More
08 Jul 2005 15:39 #1 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I have a large piece of bog wood that i've been using for about 2 years now and in the last week a rapidly growing fungis is growing on the under side (shaded).
It is almost clear in colour with a hint of brown/green.
None of my pleco's or oto's will touch it.
I dont want to remove the bogwood if posable as i only recently have managed to grow some moss from some of it that is above the water level.
Any ideas what it is and how to get rid of it.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
08 Jul 2005 16:56 #2 by Dave (Dave Fallon)
Replied by Dave (Dave Fallon) on topic Re: fungis
Whats your water stats? Especially Nitrate and possibly Phosphates?

Have you added anything recently?

Qui Vivra Verra.

• Paula (Paula)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Jul 2005 07:47 #3 by Paula (Paula)
Replied by Paula (Paula) on topic Re: fungis
Is the tank in a sunny spot? If it is, that could be a factor.

Also, as Dave said, the Nitrate level is the likely answer.

More
10 Jul 2005 14:49 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Water parameters are as follows;
ph. 7.5
kh. 2.24dh.
gh. 4.48dh
amonia. 0.1 A little high.
nitrite 0.0
nitrate 0.0
phosphates i'm not sure about.
The only changes i've made to the tank is the adding of some algae tablets (aquarium pharmaceuticals inc) to remove some hair algae.
All the tablets did was spread the algae so i had to cut back some plants to remove the algae before it got to much out of controle.
That is when the fungis started to grow and grow rapidly. :x

More
10 Jul 2005 15:04 #5 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
The tank gets a taste of the early morning sun, but not directly.
It has been in this position for over 2 years now with no problems.
I do a 10% min. water change twice weekly. The plants love this.
This tank is 1 of 5 that get the early morning sun and no problems with the rest of them.
It look like i will have to remove the wood and disenfect it.
I believe milton is good if you wash it with stress coat afterwards. Any comments on this or alternative ideas?
I will have to get a large tub to do this as the wood mesures about 18"x18"x15".

• Paula (Paula)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
10 Jul 2005 19:11 #6 by Paula (Paula)
Personally, I wouldn't use Milton or any chemical detergent unless I was very sure it was safe. When setting up my planted tank the bogwood was boiled for a few hours to clean it. But you'd need a VERY big pot with the size of your piece. :D

It might be good to find the cause of the prob before cleaning the bog wood. I don't know much about reading the levels.....so can't help there, but I'm sure others here can.

Maybe a blackout period would be a good idea. Turning off all tank lights for a week or two, and covering it with a large towel (or similar) to kill off the algae bloom. Conor recommended this method for my thread algae prob.

More
11 Jul 2005 14:59 #7 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Hay Paula, unfortunitly it dosent seem to be any kind of algae and it's growing on the underside were no light hits.
It is also growing at an alarming rate. It has doubled its lenght and width in the past 2 days.
If i taught it was harmless i would leave it because it flows like soft coral and is nice to look at. But it has to go, to be on the safe side.
This leaves me with a slight problem of re housing the big fat sleeper goby that lives under the wood. I know if i leave him in the tank and take out the wood (his home) he will trash the tank to try and find something to lay under. problems,problems.
I'm of to a fish meeting tomorrow so i will ask for advice their.
Sometimes it takes many minds to come up with great little ideas.

• Paula (Paula)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Jul 2005 17:09 #8 by Paula (Paula)
I hope you get your tank weed prob sorted out and that the goby is ok. :D

Sorry I was no help :(
Paula

More
12 Jul 2005 11:44 #9 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Hay Paula, all coments are helpful comments.
I would boil it except i have some plecos in the tank. Boiling it could remove some of the stuff plecos need to digest.
I have heard of milton been used before, but i'm just not sure if i want to do this or not.
I will let you know how i got on in a couple of days.

More
13 Jul 2005 17:26 #10 by darragh (Darragh Sherwin)
I have heard of Milton being used to clean equipment before but I am not sure what precautions you would need to take, maybe rinse very well.

There is a good article at www.littlefishtank.com/FAQ/disp_faq.asp?faqid=9 that maybe of some assistance to you.

More
14 Jul 2005 14:49 #11 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Thanks Darragh, i will try something this w/end.

More
19 Jul 2005 15:41 #12 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Well i got rid of the Goby over the weekend so this ment takeing out the wood was no problem.
I removed the wood, scrubed it in a salt water solution and gave it a good scrub and rince.
I let it dry out and then wet and scrubed it again. Hopefully this will work.
Fingers crosseed.

More
07 Aug 2005 14:00 #13 by goldy (goldy .)
Replied by goldy (goldy .) on topic Re: fungis
hi platty did yo get your bog wood sorted out. sad to see your goby go but gives you room to fill it all up again.

Time to create page: 0.053 seconds