Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

co2 how important is it?

More
19 May 2012 10:33 #1 by paulv (paul vickers)
hello. ive a planted tank about 450L, the plants are growing but have brown edge to the leaves,ive read about co2 but dont know anything about it only its expensive to set up. how important is co2 in a planted tank? im feeding ferropol24 every day.the water is good mayb slighty high nitrate but its ok.

this pics does not realy show the brown edges but it gives a good idea of my tank. great forum, full of good advise
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• Alex (Alex)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
19 May 2012 22:52 - 19 May 2012 22:55 #2 by Alex (Alex)
Replied by Alex (Alex) on topic Re: co2 how important is it?
C02 isnt needed unless your using very strong lights and nutrient rich substrate... Its all about balancing the 3 when it comes to plants. Normally with medium/low light and basic ferts there is enough C02 in the tank for plants.

If you're happy enough with the plant growth at the moment i wouldnt try fix sumthin that aint broke.

High nitrates cause algae... If you increase water changes it would help the problem.

You have a big enough tank for a group of Siamese algae eaters.. Best algae eaters around ;).
Last edit: 19 May 2012 22:55 by Alex (Alex).

More
20 May 2012 08:34 #3 by paulv (paul vickers)
thanks Alex for replying, i have 2 lights 54watt T5 one white and one blue, i put Manado substrate for the plants, i have 4 SAE, 4 clown loach and 2 bristle nose pleco but i still have to clean the green spot algae off the glass every week. the nitrate is high about 100mg/l but i change 20-25% water weekly so its not a problem for the fish. mostly my tank is doing fine just the brown edges of the leaves look kinda bad.as u say Alex if it aint broke dont fix it B)

More
20 May 2012 09:58 #4 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I guess the title should be reading "how important is it to dose with CO2".

Carbon dioxide is pretty vital in a planted tank.
But it is the source of that carbon dioxide that is the real question.

Dosing with Carbon Dioxide gas is not, however, vitally important if the tank contains a sufficient source of carbon dioxide for the plants and the rate of photosynthesis within that tank (there are other factors, but they can be ignored for most general purposes). Doing is just one of many methods of getting CO2 into the water.

For effective plant growth, carbon dioxide is not the only vital component, you need:

Water (well....there should be some of that, at least, in a fish tank :) );

The Correct Lighting to split the water into oxygen gas and protons;

A Carbon Dioxide source (to make sugars);

A nitrogen source (it could be ammonium or nitrate depending on the plant and the pH etc) to make, for example, amino acids for proteins from sugars etc

Certain 'vitamins' (especially ones that are required in order to start protein manufacture);

Magnesium (for chloroplasts), Phosphorus, Potassium, calcium and Sulphur;

and various numerous other nutrients to make use of the major components (ie if one of these micro-nutrients is missing then it make little difference if you have a tonne of the major components)

Those could be sourced from either an added fertiliser or from natural fertilisers added by fish and dying plants etc. Some items are re-cycled within the tank, others need ro be replenished (as either fertiliser or from fish waste etc).

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
20 May 2012 18:21 #5 by paulv (paul vickers)
water i have, fish i have, plants i have, :blink: without spending a months wages :-(( whats the best way to dose with CO2?. now im totally confused by science, thanks Ian. the ph is 7.2 maybe thats too high for the liquid fert to work well. what do you think?.i've a feeling theres no easy answer to this. great reply Ian,

More
20 May 2012 23:10 #6 by AquaticGardenDan (Daniel Madziag)
I've a solution for You :)

If You want to have a try is the CO2 system good for You have a try with one of those:

www.hagen.com/uk/aquatic/addinfo/co2system.html
or
www.tetra.net/de/en/kaltwasserfische/pfl...ge/tetra-co2-optimat

They will show You is the CO2 good for Your tank. B)
I know many people who wasn't to sure are they really want to have CO2 system, but after they try with systems like those I show You they go for CO2 cylinder with all the stuff.
Yes they found hard to buy it (price of full sets) but they way happy after few months :)

Dan.

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds