Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Protalon 707

More
06 Jul 2012 21:27 #1 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Anybody using this stuff? Having some problems with algae.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Jul 2012 21:22 #2 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re: Protalon 707
Yes, used it in the past and it works well. It's the only product that cleared hair algae for me. Remember to shut off C02 during the treatment (if you are using C02).

Regards,

Ken.

More
07 Jul 2012 22:01 #3 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)

Yes, used it in the past and it works well. It's the only product that cleared hair algae for me. Remember to shut off C02 during the treatment (if you are using C02).

Thanks Ken,

Think i have every kind of algae known to man!

Stephen.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jul 2012 00:36 #4 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Protalon 707
Hi Stephen,

In addition to the above, reduce your feeding, try adding Phosex to your Cannister and make sure there are no dead spots in the Aquarium.

Kev.

More
08 Jul 2012 11:13 #5 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Thanks Kev,

Will try anything at this stage. I have Black Brush, Blue Green Algae, Hair Algae, Oedogonium Algae and Staghorn Algae all in a 30l shrimp tank.!

Stephen.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Jul 2012 13:40 #6 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re: Protalon 707
What are your water perameters? Get a Phosphate tester or get the folks at lfs to test for you, Phosphates are usually as a resulr of overfeeding and the variety you mention would indicate that something is out of whack .

If you can order some Seachem flourish excel off the net, not available in Ireland sadly, you can use it to kill off Algae by switching off Filtration and administering it directly on the Algae via a Syringe or dropper, the results are very quick but here is a warning, it is NOT Shrimp safe so remove them or the plants first and treat seperately.

You can, after the Algae has died, treat with an increased dose of Conditioner, esp Easylife Fluid media to remove traces of Copper that is in excel.

Kev.

More
08 Jul 2012 18:41 #7 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Hi kev,

Thanks for the info. I did some testing today: PH:6.8, Phosphat:0 mg/l, Nitrits:0 mg/l and Nitate: .1 mg/l.

I did a water change yesterday so i will retest mid week. I use Easylife Fluid media after every water change. I have seen Seachem flourish on some sites alright but it would be a near impossible to get all the shrimp out, lots of little baby shrimp!

Stephen.

More
08 Jul 2012 22:14 #8 by Axolotl (mark gethings)

I have had great success using hydrogen peroxide to rid my tank of hair algae when nothing else has worked for me.

More
09 Jul 2012 10:28 #9 by murph (Tony Murphy)

What are your water perameters? Get a Phosphate tester or get the folks at lfs to test for you, Phosphates are usually as a resulr of overfeeding and the variety you mention would indicate that something is out of whack .

If you can order some Seachem flourish excel off the net, not available in Ireland sadly, you can use it to kill off Algae by switching off Filtration and administering it directly on the Algae via a Syringe or dropper, the results are very quick but here is a warning, it is NOT Shrimp safe so remove them or the plants first and treat seperately.

You can, after the Algae has died, treat with an increased dose of Conditioner, esp Easylife Fluid media to remove traces of Copper that is in excel.

Kev.

Easycarbo is available in most of the sponsors shops. It's essentially the same as Flourish Excel.

More
09 Jul 2012 11:27 #10 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Thanks for the info guys. I will see how i get on with the Protalon 707. Hair Algae seems to be out of control now, im taking it out by hand and its growing back just as fast! There must be some water chemistry out of wack so i will retest mid week. Also going to fit a spray bar today for better water circulation.

Stephen.

More
10 Jul 2012 18:01 #11 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Need some help with this guys. I have checked water again and still 0 Phosphates. Checked ammonia also 0. Could it be a bulb problem? Maybe need a new bulb? Im grasping at straws! :crazy:

I cleaned out the filter, fit a spray bar, reduiced light time to 8 hours and increasted CO2 to 2 bubbles pre sec. HELP :ohmy:

Attachments:

More
10 Jul 2012 22:33 #12 by murph (Tony Murphy)
How about trying a black-out?
3 days should work.

P.s. Nothing is instant with fish tanks, except death!

Time to create page: 0.051 seconds