Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Leaves covered in a brown film

More
03 Dec 2012 14:25 #1 by damp squid (sean)
My anubias barteri leaves are starting to become covered in a brown film.

Unlike algae it seems difficult to remove (The tank is located out of direct sunlight so algae shouldn't be an issue)

The tank doesn't have a co2 unit, I've been using easycarbo.

Will update pics later

thanks

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
03 Dec 2012 18:59 #2 by Aquaman (Brian Gillick)
Get yourself some S.A.E.s to work on the leaves :)

100L 2 Foot Betta Aquarium & Cabinet For Sale:
www.adverts.ie/pet-accessories/100l-aqua...-accessories/2240157

More
03 Dec 2012 21:34 #3 by damp squid (sean)

Get yourself some S.A.E.s to work on the leaves :)

I have a hill stream loach in the tank, but he's too interested in protecting his rocks and stone territory and doesn't really bother with the plants.

More
03 Dec 2012 21:34 #4 by Gavin (Gavin)
Anubias has a tendency to collect debris on it's broad leaves due to their size, as a result a biofilm which encourages algae can tend to take hold.Clean what you can and increase flow if possible.Easy carbo has slighty caustic (but unharmfull) properties in concentrated form.You can take the plant out and paint "neat" easy carbo directly on to the leaf and it will burn off what is on the leaves.(good trick this, with amazon swords and any other broad leaved plant where algae has taken hold.In a general sense it's a good idea to have a strong flow and if that isn't possible with either a filter or power head then wipe the leaves regularly so no debris lingers.hope this helps

dont make me come over there.

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
03 Dec 2012 22:29 #5 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Leaves covered in a brown film
The thing with Anubias is, the Leaves last way way much longer than those of other plants and as such, they grow algae over a long period of time and it is difficult to remove without damaging the surface, if only a couple of leaves are involved and it is a decent size, remove the affected Leaves.

Kev..

More
07 Dec 2012 11:55 #6 by damp squid (sean)
Thanks for the advice, I will give it a go over the weekend.

Some of the leaves have holes appearing on them, however, it has grown to a quite a big size and the removal of some of the leaves may make it look a little bare.

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds