Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Algae Problem

More
15 Jan 2013 16:52 #1 by Wackoo (Niall)
Algae Problem was created by Wackoo (Niall)
I have brown patches growing on my anubias, brown hair-like algae on my swords and my vallis is going brown and dying...

I don't know how to get rid of this algae? i must point out though that i have a sword that isn't under the light directly and is more shaded and doing perfectly also the java fern has no algae?

Has anyone had this experience before?

The tank is 96ltr with one T8 18w bulb, about two weeks ago 7.5 ml of easy life profito was added over four days, I stopped because i realised my lighting wasn't good enough to be adding anything.
This was definitely a mistake but I'm learning... even if it is the hard way :)

Is there anything i can do to solve the problem?

Cheers
Niall
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Jan 2013 17:21 #2 by JSleator (Jason Sleator)
I had similar problems as well, and used doses of easy carbo which helped a lot, but it did not eradicate the problem. Im still working on it! A healthy thriving planted tanks is a fine balance between a lot of factors, and really its a learning curve, no better place than this forum for that!

The hair like algae you describe is something i also experienced shortly after setting up my planted tank, on recommendation I got a couple of flying fox fish which sorted it out pretty quick, and it has never come back. Apparently they are the only fish that will eat hair algae but I stand open to correction on this. Either way they are good algae eating fish for any planted tank.

Ideally you would need to upgrade your lighting for plants to grow well, along with profito that is, and co2 or easy carbo. I dose weekly with profito, and 2 to 3 times a week with easy carbo ( 2 x 45w t5, 180L tank with co2 injection) I would suggest getting a few fast growing plants (all depending on funds available!)as this helps out compete algae, especially in a younger planted tank.

Hope this helps and gets the ball rolling..... I look forward to hearing others opinions as well.

More
15 Jan 2013 19:31 #3 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
Hi wackoo,
Just to add, prevention is better than cure and if you can have a look at the amount of food your adding to the tank just in case this is adding to your problem.
jim

More
15 Jan 2013 20:01 #4 by Wackoo (Niall)
Replied by Wackoo (Niall) on topic Algae Problem
Thanks a million for the help, yes i am definitely going to improve the lighting but I'm not sure when that'll be?

I was also thinking of adding a few amano shrimp to eat the algae?

In regards to feeding; i feed every second day and i think it's not too excessive but I'll be more aware of it...

In terms of prevention is there anything else i should/shouldn't be doing to prevent growth?

Cheers
Niall

More
15 Jan 2013 21:01 #5 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hi

I would prefer a natural solution as I have similar issue but if ottos do not like hair algae what do you guys think of something like interpet hair algae remover?

More
15 Jan 2013 21:45 #6 by dzukas76 (audrius)
Replied by dzukas76 (audrius) on topic Algae Problem
hi everyone.i have ottos too,but in my opinion they are way overrated as algea eaters.i am battling with algea on some plants aswell,but i am afraid to introduce siamies algea eater as i have riccia carpet.i wonder is anyone had experience with SAE and riccia in same aquarium.thanks

More
17 Jan 2013 19:28 - 17 Jan 2013 19:41 #7 by Anj (Andrew B.)
Replied by Anj (Andrew B.) on topic Algae Problem
Hello.
If this algae is easy to clean by the finger, this is a brown algae. If is hard to clean this is a diatom. I think this is brown algae but better check it out.
To kill Brown algae you need more light(0,6W-1W/liter)and mechanical cleaning. There is no helpful chemistry, fish or shrimps.
Diatoms can be eaten by otocinclus + mechanical cleaning with gravel and not to many light.
In both, changing a portion of the aquarium water (20%-40%) on a regular basis (every 2-3 days for now) is the easiest way to reduce it.
Good luck.
One more, hair algae are green or grey-green, not brown.
Last edit: 17 Jan 2013 19:41 by Anj (Andrew B.).

More
17 Jan 2013 21:11 #8 by Wackoo (Niall)
Yes the brown algae does rub off easily, i am planning to upgrade the lights to two or maybe a three bulb t5 unit like this

www.aquaworld.ie/50,1101,t5-aquarium-lightning-3xt5-fixture

would Amano shrimp eat the hair algae? sorry you are right it is a grey/green colour

Cheers!
Niall

More
17 Jan 2013 22:09 #9 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Have you anymore photos ?
You shouldnt have brown and green algae in the same tank.
That anubia leaf looks like it might be dying.
Your vallis is dying off too, have a look for a new shoot a few inches away.
If the plant is established enough it will send out runners and new shoots will appear.
I noticed this on vallis when adding easy carb etc.
Anj gave a few good points above too.
How long do you leave your lights on ?
Your tank lights should be suitable for easy growing plants
as designed by the manufacturer.

More
17 Jan 2013 22:36 #10 by Wackoo (Niall)
I have the lights on 10hrs a day. I have been adding 1ml of easy carbo a day for the last week trying to combat the algae. the vallis does have one or two shoots around
Attachments:

More
18 Jan 2013 17:06 #11 by Anj (Andrew B.)
It`s me again, hello.

I have the lights on 10hrs a day. I have been adding 1ml of easy carbo a day

No, no, no! EasyCarbo, if you think can help, is possible with some algae, you should add (100l tank) 6-8ml per day! Only like that can work. 1st day:2-3ml, 2nd:4-5ml, 3th:6-8ml and next days 6-8ml. Because 2ml is normal dosage for your tank per day. Even with small light.
Sometimes will not work this metod. Too many types of algae we don`t know. But should work for Rhodophyta, Euglenophyta, Spirogyra, Rhizoclonium. With Brown Algae, i don`t think so. Anyway is good for plants.
Brown algae, as i said before, mechanical cleaning and filtration and new 40% of fresh water.

Good luck mate.

More
19 Jan 2013 11:50 #12 by Wackoo (Niall)
Thanks a million Anj!

I have started as you said dosing with more easy carbo so fingers crossed! Water changes are now 40% every three days so we'll see how it goes, always learning in this hobby! :)

More
20 Jan 2013 00:48 #13 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Ive had a bad connection yesterday and my reply didnt post.
Brown algae is usually from lack of light, but you have 10 hrs.
If you have green algae then theres enough light and maybe too much co2 and or nutrients.
Im not familiar with Anjs method, maybe its for the plants to outgrow the algae?
The other thing that I suggestes was to clean the anubias with a toothbrush and
do a water change aimed at removing any floating pieces of algae.
Your water changes also help introduce fresh micro nutrients for the plants.
If adding profito, add the dosage daily over the week rather than all on one day.
Im interested in how you get on with Anjs approach.

More
21 Jan 2013 17:19 #14 by Wackoo (Niall)
Anj your method seems pretty solid!! :)

I know it's only been for days on the higher dosage but i've noticed "blotches" on the Swords where the algae has died off and it's just the plant leaf...

The Anubias leaves look good after three days since i've rubbed the algae off too

Thanks a million!!
Niall

More
22 Jan 2013 02:18 #15 by Anj (Andrew B.)
Hi again.
As we know is hard to recognize algae 100%.
I used this metod with EasyCarbo and worked for me with some green algae.
JustinK, 10h is pretty much but we still dont know how many W/l. If this is Brown Algae i think is not enough Watts. Probably 0.3W/l. Wackoo tell as about your Watts.
About method: This method is cheap and easy to try (see my posts in this topic). I`m using as well lemon to clean plants and works perfect. Of course maybe better is to use Phyton Git ADA but is not cheap.

Brown algae, as i said before, mechanical cleaning and filtration and new 40% of fresh water.

Are you familiar with this method JustinK? That`s from my previous post, but by fingers not a brush as you said. Brush is good for diatoms.
Good luck Niall.
Greetings Justin.

More
23 Jan 2013 08:34 #16 by Wackoo (Niall)
My lighting is 0.2 W/Ltr

The easy carbo definitely seems to be working! It has stopped growing completely on the leaves that were just getting it and the patches are getting bigger on the ones that were really bad...

I'll post photos of the results tomorrow

Thanks a million Anj!! :)

More
24 Jan 2013 00:26 #17 by Anj (Andrew B.)

My lighting is 0.2 W/Ltr

Niall, in your tank is darkness ? :ohmy:
Do something fast if you want to hold plants with out new problems.
Glad to see is better.
;)

More
28 Jan 2013 16:50 #18 by Wackoo (Niall)
Hi everyone, just an update on the algae problem... good news!! :) :) :)

there's still a bit of algae on some of the plants but nowhere near as much as there was!

Thanks a million to Anj for his advice! the easycarbo really seems to have done a good job!

Also, my new baby pleco has devoured a huge amount of the algae as well :)

I know the lighting isn't near enough, but i plan to upgrade to a new light unit with two t5's whenever i can afford it :crazy:

Cheers for all the sound advice!

Niall
Attachments:

More
28 Jan 2013 19:46 #19 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hi

I have to add my own thank you here also. Upped my easycarbo from minimum dose to maximum and added a fast growing plant and upped lights to 10 hours.

All this and some algae eaters has made a big difference to my tank also.

Thanks
Dec

More
12 Feb 2013 06:32 #20 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
40 to 50% weekly water changes are the best way to combat algae..

Following that!

Keep your lights to a max of 8 or 9 hours..

Dont overfeed..

Dont overstock..

Plenty of plants (the more the merrier)..

A team of algae eaters..(Ottos, SAEs, and Nerite snails are the best)

Daily dosing with Easycarbo..

3 or 4 times weekly dosing of Profito (The bottle says dose once weekly but you should split that weekly dose up into 3 or 4 days)(Spreading it out will stop algae from taking advantage of it and also ensures slower growing plants get plenty of nutrients too)

Having said all this if you have bad lighting your wasting your time...........

Once again i cant emphasize enough the importance of 40 to 50% weekly water changes..Your fish will love it too...(Freshwater fish love freshwater that is low in Nitrates) and algae just loves Nitrates!

More
04 Jun 2013 10:53 #21 by voicingb (marek)
Replied by voicingb (marek) on topic Algae Problem
I using easy carbo no algae at all.

Time to create page: 0.072 seconds