Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

LED lighting for fresh water set up

More
05 Feb 2013 18:24 #1 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
Hi,
I'm trying to find a led light that fits onto the rim of a tank for freshwater planted tank, the tank is 90cm long and about 45cm deep its 200ltr and i would hope to have up to .75 watt per litre equivalent, so have any of you seen something suitable or have any suggestions?
jim

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Feb 2013 20:26 #2 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
i have a tmc mini led over my nano cube and i must say my plants love it, you should have a look at their website they sell some led call gro beam than you can mount with a bracket on each side wich is nice for an open tank otherwise some people put 2 or 3 led fixtures over the length of the tank but you end up spending a fortune ! i dont think i m aloud to give the name of the shop where they sell them but they were very knowledgeable in aquascaping so definetly worth the phone call. i will pm you the name if you re interested.

More
05 Feb 2013 20:37 #3 by Tigger (Abe Bardez)

More
06 Feb 2013 08:23 #4 by newbejkjimk (damien kelly)
Hi anthony you are allowed say where you seen them or if you still dont want to then pm me cheers!

More
06 Feb 2013 19:48 #5 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
pm sent.
Here are pictures of my led light.

Attachments:

More
06 Feb 2013 19:57 #6 by fishhope (pat)
How much and where u get it?

More
06 Feb 2013 20:11 #7 by davey_c (dave clarke)
lookup waterproof smd 5050 led stips on ebay and see if any suit, their cheap enough.

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
06 Feb 2013 20:23 #8 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
the led was 65 sterlings and the bracket was 20 i think.
the one i have is the tmc mimi led 400 and is rated for a max tank size of 50 litres.
could someone tells me about the rules of naming a shop on the forum, is it allowed or not, i m confused !

More
06 Feb 2013 20:38 #9 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Don't be worried about it! Where you got the light is simply a fact!! You're not passing comment about the experience e.g way overpriced or anything like that and your not recommending this shop over any others.....

I'm sure a variety of sponsors carry stock items like this but surely this isn't censored.....

More
06 Feb 2013 20:51 #10 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
thanks gonefishy i was not sure as i m new to the forum. I bought the light in aquaessentials.co.uk

More
06 Feb 2013 21:08 #11 by davey_c (dave clarke)
there have been posts edited in the past for advertising and naming non sponsors once you can get the same item in a sponsors shop. there is a low tolerance here for it so by pm is the best and mostly the only way to do it without censorship ;)
i'd write down the name quickly :lol:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

More
06 Feb 2013 21:12 #12 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
Well surely sponsors should respond to simple questions then if posed......he was not advertising anything....I agree that sponsors play a critical role in this forum running but censorship on something as benign as this is simply crap.....

More
06 Feb 2013 23:30 #13 by davey_c (dave clarke)

Well surely sponsors should respond to simple questions then if posed......he was not advertising anything....I agree that sponsors play a critical role in this forum running but censorship on something as benign as this is simply crap.....

lad i'm in the same frame of mind and wish it was allowed but just puttin ye's wide ;)
i don't shop localy either for the sake of sporting the sponsors but i'll keep my thoughts in my head there also because they don't allow for bad talking sponsors either :evil:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

Time to create page: 0.060 seconds