Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

JBL manado/ADA

More
10 Mar 2013 20:28 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
ok, so i'm setting up my juwel rekord70 as a half-planted tank for rams (as soon as i get rid of the 2 convicts and the 80 or so fry). i've been thinking of using JBL manado or the ADA equivalent as a substrate but when i've looked into either, alot of the comments online mention the fact that they break apart over time. does anyone have any experience of this? or is the crumbling only over a longer time period ie negligable?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
10 Mar 2013 22:34 #2 by JSleator (Jason Sleator)
I have ADA Amazonia and cant say its broken down any at all and my tank is 13 months running, and gets a good vacuum each week. I have not come across this breaking down thing before, id say it would take a LONG time to break down, hope this puts your substrate fears at bay! BTW, the Amazonia is good stuff, its a bit more expensive than Manado, which by all accounts is a good as well, and the preference of many, but im very glad i got it, like the dark colour of the amazonia, it looks great against the green of the plants. I have a layer of the ADA power sand under the substrate.

More
10 Mar 2013 23:23 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
thanks. i really just didn't want to buy a bag of gravel and 18 months later end up with a tank full of sand :blink:
what is power sand exactly?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
14 Mar 2013 19:10 #4 by JSleator (Jason Sleator)
As per Ada website: Power sand is the base of the Nature Aquarium substrate. Power Sand is composed of porous volcanic stones to secure proper water circulation and of organic materials including fertile peat to provide rich nutrients to aquatic plant roots. Ideal conditions for bacterial activity and development of plant roots are created and maintained for long periods with Power Sand.

Did you choose a substrate yet? I got my ADA products from sponsor aquaworld, at the time I remember the price being as good as you will get on Ada products, got all my plants posted from them as well, recommend them.

More
14 Mar 2013 20:26 #5 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
no substrate yet. i still have the small matter of getting rid of a breeding pair of convicts and their 80 or so kids first... :blink:

More
03 Apr 2013 11:47 #6 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
From what I have experienced ADA Amazonia and New Amazonia will not break down after certain time. I have heard of people reporting that Amazonia II will break down and turn into mod after a few weeks/months (Amazonia II was later replaced by New Amazonia)

More
03 Apr 2013 21:33 #7 by blade (Michael G)
Replied by blade (Michael G) on topic JBL manado/ADA
I have ADA Amazonia in 2 tanks no breakdown at all ,it does need a small vacuum from time to time , but the stuff is great , id rate it over manado haven used both in the past

Michael

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds