Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hydrocotyle tripartita... discuss...

More
16 Mar 2013 15:36 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
i've just bought some Hydrocotyle tripartita. i think i'm going to use it to replace my lileopsis brasiliensis, which is doing ok, but is growing soooo slowly that it's got that dark fuzzy algae growing on it (in a tank that is otherwise pretty algae free). any tips on how to plant and maintain it?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Mar 2013 00:42 #2 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
or... not...

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
02 May 2013 09:19 - 02 May 2013 09:25 #3 by Homer (Kevin)
I recently acquired some of this from a Forum member.

If you look at a length of stem, you will notice that where a leaf emerges, so too, do roots below, this is called a node, the space between pairs of leaves is called the inter node. Where a leaf and roots emerge, this will be a new plant, cut the stem separating the plants half way between the two plants, you will now have a T shape, a length of stem, a leaf and roots, and then another length of stem. Push the T shaped cutting into the substrate so you bury the roots while leaving the Leaves exposed. This will form a new plant and put out suckers that will root themselves into the substrate.

You can of course, push the length of stem containing a lot of plant-lets into the substrate but it is awkward and will usually result in the stems popping up and you having to push them back in again, the laborious way is by far the best way.

Apparently, it loves CO2 to thrive and to maintain it's lush, compact growth habit, after you get it established, press gently with the Palm of your Hand, it causes the same effect as with mowing your Grass, it causes the plant to extend extra shoots, it is called tillering in Grass, it causes the plant to increase it's bulk.
H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
Last edit: 02 May 2013 09:25 by Homer (Kevin).

More
02 May 2013 09:43 #4 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
think i might do that because mine is doing good, but could be doing better

Time to create page: 0.038 seconds