Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Centre Piece plant suggestions please

More
30 Apr 2013 19:23 #1 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hi

I am setting up a vision 180 one third planted, will have 2x 35w T5s, easy carbo no co2 system and JBL aqua basis.

I need some suggestions on a medium height centre piece plant that will be kinda easy to grow. I don't know the name of most of what will be in with it as I got most of them in LFS and they could not name them but here is what I know.

vallis for the back anubias barteri and barteri nana on bog wood I think baby tears and some tall slow growing plants.

Thanks
Dec

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2013 20:39 - 30 Apr 2013 20:42 #2 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Put up a photo of your tank planted.
Usually Sword plants (echinodorus) are used as a centre piece.
It all depends on what look you want and how it is with what you have or are using.
Sometimes a plant with a bit of red leaf can be used.
If plants are bushy, then a slender plant might suit
or if theyre all broad leafed then maybe a stem plant would give that contrast.
Last edit: 30 Apr 2013 20:42 by JustinK (Justin Kelly). Reason: typo

More
30 Apr 2013 20:54 #3 by ghart (Greg Hart)
Keep an eye out for a large Nymphaea Lotus . This makes a wonderful off centre display piece.
Or a large Echinodorus 'Ozelot'

Greg

More
30 Apr 2013 21:38 - 30 Apr 2013 21:39 #4 by blade (Michael G)
Hi , i Used this in one of my planted tanks
hygrophila angustifolia , its easy plant , doesnt need alot of light or any Co2 ,like most plants better with, and looks ok for cenre-mid,

Michael
Last edit: 30 Apr 2013 21:39 by blade (Michael G).

More
30 Apr 2013 21:50 #5 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Thx guys gonna look up all those. This plant will be focal point on one side with stone on the other so off centre is right on the button what I need.

I took a couple of pics so I may get an ID post up.

More
01 May 2013 18:05 #6 by Homer (Kevin)
Nymphaea sp. 'rubra' is a beauty , just remove the Leaf when it hits the surface, that way, you will have leaves at all stages of development all the way from mid-water to below the surface and the red is beautiful.

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
01 May 2013 20:41 #7 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hi homer

Are red plants hard to grow? I was planning a juwel day 9000k and a juwel nature 4100k, would this be suitable light for red leaved plants?

More
02 May 2013 08:07 #8 by Homer (Kevin)

Hi homer

Are red plants hard to grow? I was planning a juwel day 9000k and a juwel nature 4100k, would this be suitable light for red leaved plants?

It should be fine in moderate lighting just google how to trim it to prevent the leaves taking over the surface, they are a really beautiful plant and usually not too difficult.

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
02 May 2013 08:29 #9 by blade (Michael G)

Hi homer

Hi , Kelvin of bulbs does not matter as plants will adjust to what ever kelvin provided, par is more important,
Lights , Nutrients & Co2 etc... its a balance , more light = more nutrients needed & Co2 etc..., do some research on google , Tropica have a good site

Michael

More
02 May 2013 14:33 #10 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hmmm so now that I have some notion of kelvin and spectrum I have to take up golf :huh:

I'll check out tropica and see if I can get a lighting/dosing plan worked out

Thx
Dec

More
02 May 2013 18:53 #11 by blade (Michael G)
Heres a great UK site www.ukaps.org/forum/

Everything you will ever need is here , well re.plants / lighting etc.....

All the best Michael.

More
02 May 2013 22:33 - 04 May 2013 17:59 #12 by des (des)
Hey Man

Bolbitis heudelotii is a lovely Plant, makes a fine centre piece, I have a big whopper one in My 240, I'll stick a pic up...

lovely Plant, grows huge etc. etc.

Des
Last edit: 04 May 2013 17:59 by des (des). Reason: had to be done ???

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds