Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Carpeting plant suggestions?

More
30 Apr 2013 20:41 #1 by Wackoo (Niall)
Hey

Any suggestions for a carpeting plant in a 25 ltr with Manado soil, Diy co2 and this light?

www.aquael.com/index.php?option=com_cont...e&Itemid=392&lang=en

Cheers!

Niall

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
30 Apr 2013 20:49 #2 by davey_c (dave clarke)
Whats going in it? I quite like moss as a carpet in small tanks and the likes of shrimp would love it

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
30 Apr 2013 21:02 #3 by Wackoo (Niall)
At the moment there's a male betta

I have some 'weeping moss' but i can never really get the effect i want with it :crazy:

Any tips for moss carpet?

More
30 Apr 2013 21:03 #4 by blade (Michael G)
Hi , Hydrocoytle sp. Japan is anice carpet plant ,with light & Co2 it does well, an easy one as well

Michael

More
30 Apr 2013 21:17 #5 by Wackoo (Niall)

Hi , Hydrocoytle sp. Japan is anice carpet plant ,with light & Co2 it does well, an easy one as well

Michael

They look very nice! It says they produce a nice carpet, anyone have any experience with dwarf hair grass either?

More
01 May 2013 18:01 #6 by Homer (Kevin)
Eleocharis is a fab plant but make sure it gets planted at the level it was in the pot, Echinodorus tenellus is a lovely dwarf Amazon and Lilaeopsis and Staurogyne will carpet beautifully. As Michael says, Hydrocotyl tripartita "japan" is a gorgeous little thing, much nicer imo than the usual Hydrocotyl.

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
01 May 2013 21:05 #7 by Wackoo (Niall)
I like the look of the dwarf amazon... I can see a lot of them making a very nice carpet!

Do they require much attention to get a carpet effect or just let them grow wild?

Cheers lads
Niall

More
01 May 2013 21:21 #8 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
I have eleocharus sp mini in one of my nano and I love it looks like lush a green lawn, quite patchy at the minute but finger cross It will keep spreading in the tank !

More
02 May 2013 07:54 #9 by Homer (Kevin)

I like the look of the dwarf amazon... I can see a lot of them making a very nice carpet!

Do they require much attention to get a carpet effect or just let them grow wild?

Cheers lads
Niall

Just let them at it, they reproduce by means of adventitious shoots which means, a runner sprouts from the base and grows a few cm from the mother Plant.

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
02 May 2013 17:24 #10 by Wackoo (Niall)

I have eleocharus sp mini in one of my nano and I love it looks like lush a green lawn, quite patchy at the minute but finger cross It will keep spreading in the tank !

Any chance of a picture of that? :)

Niall

More
03 May 2013 17:48 #11 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
here are two pictures of the eleocharus sp mini

Attachments:

More
03 May 2013 20:01 #12 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hi

Is there lots of trimming etc in maintaining a carpet plant?

More
03 May 2013 23:25 #13 by Wackoo (Niall)

here are two pictures of the eleocharus sp mini

Thank you for those! Plants look very healthy, lovely shade of green

can i ask what lights you have that under and do you run co2?

Cheers
Niall

More
04 May 2013 00:04 #14 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)

Hi

Is there lots of trimming etc in maintaining a carpet plant?

It depends how short you want it.
Also the growth rate and eventual size are factors too .
its like trimmimg moss to keep it against some wood, if not it gets unruley.

More
More
04 May 2013 16:37 #16 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
i use a tmc led light and dose profito and pro ferro when i think about it, i personally wouldnt like to use a co2 system and dose fertilizers daily to have speedy growth and have to trim the plants often and if i dont i would end up with a green mess. You only see the best looking tanks in the best shape on internet but you rarely see the ones who are out of control because the owner skipped the maintenance. i prefer being patient and be a bit limited in my choice of plants.

Time to create page: 0.065 seconds