Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Notice: Undefined variable: end_tag_params in /home/web/itfsweb/www/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 2719

Notice: Undefined variable: end_tag_params in /home/web/itfsweb/www/libraries/kunena/external/nbbc/src/BBCode.php on line 2719

a quick question

More
18 Jul 2013 14:23 #1 by Inza (philippe launois)

a quick question was created by Inza (philippe launois)
Hello fellow fish-keepers, I post here today because something showed up on one of my plants and it scare me a little. Here is a picture of the plant itself:

It is the one attach to the wood and as you can see it start to form some kind of moss or algae on the leaves.

I would like to know if any of you know what it is, why does it appear on this plant only and is it bad for the plant. Also is there a way to remove it without damaging the plant ?

I am new to aquatic plant keeping so any advice is very welcome !

Also as you can see in the back i got myself a Jbl Proflora bio 160. It as not started to produce Co2 yet, after 24 hours of installation. Do you guys have ever use on of these ? is it good ? can i use my "home-brew" mix in it if necessary ?

thank again for your answers, hope i'm not bothering you with my questions :woohoo:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2013 15:25 - 18 Jul 2013 15:34 #2 by Homer (Kevin)

Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic a quick question
Hi Inza,

The Algae you are getting is usually found on thicker leaves on slower growing plants and on plants that keep their leaves for a long time, if it covered the leaves entirely it would reduce the ability of the plant to make food because the light reaching the leaf would be reduced. It is usually caused by either light that is too intense or lights that are left on too long. The plant you have is called Anubias and this is seen often on them.

Reduced light and CO2 will help, you could put in some liquid CO2 like easycarbo while you are waiting on your kit to start producing but consider a proper CO2 system when you can.

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
Last edit: 18 Jul 2013 15:34 by Homer (Kevin).

More
18 Jul 2013 21:13 #3 by Mike53 (Michael)

Replied by Mike53 (Michael) on topic a quick question
I have loads of Anubius and have the same thing
As H said above, less light and easy carbo will help. You can also clean leaves by hand but once it gets a grip it is hard to remove. I've heard a bleach dip 1/19 dose for 30 seconds then give your plant a good wash before putting back in tank will work but my anubius is fixed to bog wood so hard to remove and don't like the bleach idea.

The best way to stop it growing on the leaves is to move your anubius out of direct light as this seems to be the main cause, i.e move it to the bottom of the tank in a sheltered area. Anubius doesn't need much light and is very hardy so don't worry about the plant.
It's very hard to get rid of and I gave up trying and it's sort of all over my anubius plants that are close to the surface.
It grows on the leaves of slow growing plants and you'll find it will grow on the glass as well, I find an old credit card to scrape the glass does the trick.
Mike

More
18 Jul 2013 22:18 #4 by Inza (philippe launois)

Replied by Inza (philippe launois) on topic a quick question
thank you homer and mike for your instructive answers, I'll try that as soon as possible !

More
18 Jul 2013 23:23 #5 by jeff (Jeff Scully)

Replied by jeff (Jeff Scully) on topic a quick question
Hi Inza

I had the same problem with my Anubias plants it use to wreck me head

Amano Shrimp, Siamese Algae Eaters and Oto's are all great for this

I personally added all 3 a couple of each and never seen the stuff again

Only thing i would stress about is the Otto's MAKE SURE you acclimate them very slowly i mean very slowly, on a drip for 1hr. is the way i done it and never lost one

And the good thing about all 3 is they dont take up any fish space so you dont have to worry about the over stocking rules 'like we pay attention to that anyway' but it does help

Where the tongue slips, it speaks the truth.

A life making mistakes is not only more honourable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing at all.

More
19 Jul 2013 09:33 - 19 Jul 2013 09:37 #6 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)

Replied by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez) on topic a quick question
Hi there

I have had that type of algae growing on my plants. The reason why they grow is normally due to a lack of phosphate so I would suggest checking your phosphate levels first! Buy some liquid phostpate and pour some, then check the levels again.

It will go away in a day or two.

My siamese algae eaters dont bother with algae anymore, but its my fault as I feed them a lot, they are so fat that they almost look like puffers! I have put everyone on a diet now, no more obese fish in my tank!
Last edit: 19 Jul 2013 09:37 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez).

More
23 Aug 2013 02:17 - 23 Aug 2013 02:21 #7 by Inza (philippe launois)

Replied by Inza (philippe launois) on topic a quick question
Hi everyone:

A couple weeks ago i got myself a Alternanthera reineckii Pink as it looked beautiful in the lfs tank and i thought it would bring a nice contrast in my. Unfortunately, the plant is not doing as good as in the lfs tank :(

this is how it looks in my tank:

As you can see the top leaves are not red at all, the bottom one have holes in them and start turning brown and will soon detach and disintegrate in the water. there is also some kind of hairy algae growing on some leaves...

I change the back bulb to a t8 juwel 18w day-lite hoping it would be better for the plant.

this bothers me a lot as that plant was not cheap ;x

If any of you would have some advice on keeping this plant i would really appreciate it. I am planing to get some Esaycarbo, would it help ?

Also if you know of any plant that i could use to make some kind of green carpet, as the one i got does not seems to work ;x

thanks again, Inza.
Last edit: 23 Aug 2013 02:21 by Inza (philippe launois). Reason: adding stuff

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds