Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What's up with my Anubias?

More
20 Jul 2013 12:22 #1 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hi all

The pics below show my Anubias one with a little and the other on nearly all leaves.

A little tank info. Vision 180 easy carbo 6mm a day profito 15mm a week in three doses. Recently did a three day black out to kill cyano the Anubias had some brown algae but the bristle noses completely cleaned the night before last. Lights t5 07:00 to 12:00 and 16:00 to 20:00 the tank gets some indirect sunlight.

Is it lost?

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Jul 2013 22:31 #2 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hi all

Bit of a bump here but have been googling and have not found any good info on this. I'm going to remove the affected leaves tomorrow and see how it goes.

Should I just remove the badly affected plant?

Any ideas?

Thx
Dec

More
21 Jul 2013 23:56 #3 by m_sb (Zac)
hey its happend to me but it doesn't effect on any other plants just this plant and only roots left and after 5 months now its starting again and small leaves are coming what with mine fish was eating roots and snails was killing the leaves, some time these extra plants care products hurt plants as well, thats why its happend so if you have any lethal snail or product just remove them and they will be fine also if you can use direct sunlight for them is good as well thats what my openion and i don't have any experience on plants

More
22 Jul 2013 10:00 #4 by blade (Michael G)
Anubias are very hardy plants. I would pull off the dying leaves so the plant can put the energy back into new growth. Then its a wait and see any new shoots/leaves grow. Like I said they are hardy and hopefully it will come good.I would cut it close to the rhizome,never put rhizome in substrate , and Anubias dont require much ferts as slow grower , potassium maybe , whats your flow rate in tank ? id look there

good luck
Michael

More
22 Jul 2013 10:54 #5 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
@blade. I did have flow issues which caused the cyano bacteria issue but I have adjusted the spray bar and flow is better. I'll trim the affected leaves today and see how it goes.

Thx all
Dec

More
22 Jul 2013 12:49 - 22 Jul 2013 12:49 #6 by J.Wang (Jay Wang)
Hi, I think two things might cause this issue.

1. There might be snails in your tank which kills the plants(spend sometime take a look at the tank see if you can find any.)

2. Low PH sometimes could cause the leaves turn like that.

I did some research on the internet before. It seems to be the main solutions in most of the links. Hope it will help you a bit. Good luck with your plant!

PS. trim some bad leaves is a good thing.
Last edit: 22 Jul 2013 12:49 by J.Wang (Jay Wang).

More
22 Jul 2013 15:06 #7 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
@J.Wang I think I have both 1 and 2

Have some pond snails at the moment and PH is 7.2 it's mostly South American so I am keeping the PH down with peat.

I'm going to set a snail trap and hopefully get some assassins

More
23 Jul 2013 08:53 - 23 Jul 2013 08:56 #8 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
Hey there

Pond snails dont usually eat plants, they love anubias as they are perfect for them to lay their eggs. Other snails my eat plants by pond snails dont (at least not the common variety).

There are many reasons why this could be happening, I had a similar problem at it was all because of an ammonia spike, the plants were literally melting but as you already have fish I doubt its an ammonia spike.

Another thing could be your water is too soft. Check your GH/KH. Also, what are your nitrate levels?

Also, is this a new plant? Anubias tend to die off when first introduced (I dont think it is but just checking)

Parasite its a possibility, but I have no idea on how to treat it

Also, I wouldnt cut the light cycle, leave the lights on for a constant period of time, eg 10-12 h dont give the plants a lunch break as this doesnt happen in their natural environment.

By looking at the pictures it looks like the plant is rotting away.
Last edit: 23 Jul 2013 08:56 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez).

More
23 Jul 2013 13:07 #9 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hi I'll take a look at the light times. TBH the times are due to some selfishness on my part as it allows the lights to be on in the evening when I am home. It is nice to see your fish :-)

More
23 Jul 2013 13:34 - 23 Jul 2013 13:35 #10 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez)
I did the same at the beginning, I know what you mean!
Last edit: 23 Jul 2013 13:35 by Bohrio (Alex Rodriguez).

More
23 Jul 2013 13:47 #11 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Hmm now I think of it the cyano may have been covering the leaves and preventing photosynthesis. Is this a possible cause? The cyano bacteria issue seems to be resolved now.

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds