Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hemianthus callitrichoides

More
03 Sep 2013 20:39 - 03 Sep 2013 20:39 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Does anyone have any experience growing this? I'm getting mixed info online with some sites saying it grows quickly and easily with good light and CO2 and others saying it's pretty difficult. Any ideas?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."
Last edit: 03 Sep 2013 20:39 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2013 01:37 #2 by Inza (philippe launois)
Hi LemonJelly !

I do not have a big experience with this as i planted some in my tank 3 weeks ago. Actually The plant is doing fine, it grows slowly but surely. I only use a diy co2 and add esay carbo and profito every day. From what i read on various French web site this plant require a lot of light, from 1w/2l to 1w/1l.

Up until today I had only 36w t8 of light in my 150l tank, but I change my ballast and now I have 2x24t5 and 2x28t5 so I just can't wait to see the results on the plants !

when planting this plant, do not cut all the moss holding the roots, try to keep around 1/2 cm of it so the plant can hold on to your substrate. I got mine from seahorse and I just trimmed the moss of and cut the plant into 6 pieces each. Then I planted it in a cross pattern, or like you would see the number 5 on a dice :)

Hope that helps !

ho and I updated my previous topic because of an Alternanthera reineckii Pink problem so if you have any knowledge on that one I would really appreciate !

thx Inza.

More
04 Sep 2013 11:37 - 04 Sep 2013 11:40 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Thanks. I'm in two minds about using it. I have Hydrocotyle tripartita growing in another tank very successfully but was considering the dwarf baby tears for my new shrimp setup. I think I might go for the hydrocotyle now, since I don't think I have the lighting for the hemianthus; I only have two 9w clip-on nano lights.

Wish I could help you with the Alternanthera but I have limited (and unsuccessful) experience with red leaved plants and now I generally steer clear of them! Sorry

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."
Last edit: 04 Sep 2013 11:40 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley).

More
04 Sep 2013 22:21 #4 by mars (Gedas)
From my experience , if you have high tank, make shore, Co2 reaches HC, I have inline co2 and to help spread bubbles by the bottom of the tank I use wave maker, works really well, spreading bubbles all over the tank.
But the main think light and co2.
I hope it helps .

More
06 Sep 2013 00:29 #5 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
If you have 2 x T-5's over the length of the tank you will grow most plants, including HC Cuba.
Take your time splitting the portions and you will get more out of it and it will carpet quicker.

With pressurized Co2, good light and good plant food you will have to trim it on week 2/3. Be ruthless and cut it right back. This will stimulate growth and keep it tight to the substrate.
It should carpet within 4/6 weeks.

It can be grown without Co2, but it takes time, a lot of time.

IME this plant loves micro nutrients and fresh water. So extra profito (or similar)and water changes. I would start with 2x30% water changes a week at least.
Start with 6/8 hours of light a day. This can be brought up slowly after a couple of weeks.

Darren.

More
06 Sep 2013 07:41 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I take it the general consensus then is that EasyCarbo won't do the job on its own. And would DIY CO2 suffice in such a small tank?

More
06 Sep 2013 08:28 #7 by Homer (Kevin)
Great to see you active Darren, what a wealth of knowledge, I miss our chats

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
06 Sep 2013 23:09 #8 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Cheers Homer.

Lemonjelly you don't mention the size of the nano tank the 2x 9watt lights are on.
You may be able to grow it depending on size of the tank (measurements not volume).
Also what filter will be on the tank?

More
07 Sep 2013 09:52 #9 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
It's 60cmX30cm and about 30cm depth. All told it'll come to about 55L. It'll be filtered by an air driven sponge filter with 2 sponges since I'll be keeping shrimp in it too

More
09 Sep 2013 00:35 #10 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Ok, HC Cuba wont work here. Not enough light or flow. Just adding Co2 is not going to do it.

An alternative would be to use Christmas moss cut into 2-4cm strips and planted like grass. Just push it into the substrate and it will form a matt like carpet.
After it starts to grow push it down or rub your hand across it to keep it growing across the bottom of the tank and not growing up in the water Colum.

Go easy with the easy carbo when using moss. It doesn't like it.
But if you could add Co2 somehow it will love it. So will you for the dense growth and the lovely light green color.
It also likes water changes, so with the shrimps small but often water changes is probably best.

If algae starts to take hold on the moss reduce lighting and change water, change water, change water, ........

More
09 Sep 2013 11:35 #11 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Definitely not going down the moss route. It looks good but it's a bugger to tidy. I've already sourced better lights and flow is easy enough to increase. Do you think DIY CO2 would suffice for such a small system? Or would I have to look at a pressurised system?

More
09 Sep 2013 19:39 #12 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I would go with a min. of 24 watts T-5 and a max of 48 watts.
24 not quite enough and 48 may be to much without pressurised Co2.

It should work with DIY Co2 but it needs to be stable.

More
09 Sep 2013 19:49 #13 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

I would go with a min. of 24 watts T-5 and a max of 48 watts.
24 not quite enough and 48 may be to much without pressurised Co2.

It should work with DIY Co2 but it needs to be stable.

stable how? as in the mix would have to be replenished once it shows any signs of tailing off?

More
09 Sep 2013 20:10 #14 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
thanks for answering my million and one questions, by the way :blink:

More
12 Sep 2013 01:05 #15 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Yes the Co2 would have to be kept stable by not giving it time to tail off before changing for a new Co2 DIY mix.
The new mix would have to be run in for a few days first to build up steam.

There is a good article in the article section (found on the home page) on DIY Co2.

The idea is to keep the Co2 stable and constant. Algae seems to have a taste for fluctuating Co2.

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds