Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Disposable CO2

More
07 Sep 2013 14:54 - 07 Sep 2013 15:31 #1 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
Does anyone have any experience with the Disposable CO2 sets? I have a 55L tank. Would this kit be suitable?

www.seahorseaquariums.com/Blau-NaNO-C02-Set//4773

How long would it last for?

Would a DIY setup be a better option? Or are the not really worth it?

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."
Last edit: 07 Sep 2013 15:31 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley). Reason: addition question

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Sep 2013 15:31 #2 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)

Does anyone have any experience with the Disposable CO2 sets? I have a 55L tank. Would this kit be suitable?

And how long would it last for?

Never used them lj but you could look into diy CO2
And after what you would pay you would be left
With a few quid to buy more fish,
Or drink :laugh:

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
07 Sep 2013 15:36 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

And how long would it last for?

Never used them lj but you could look into diy CO2
And after what you would pay you would be left
With a few quid to buy more fish,
Or drink :laugh:

Yeah, the more fish thing is more persuasive with me :P

I've tried DIY on a bigger tank and it worked (only) okay, so maybe it'd work better on a smaller one. But I've heard so many people say that they're at best only moderately useful

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
07 Sep 2013 15:38 #4 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Disposable CO2
CO2 on an Extinguisher on a small tank could last you the guts of two years or more.

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
07 Sep 2013 15:42 #5 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
I've had great success with diy stuff
In conjunction with easycarbo!

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
07 Sep 2013 15:43 #6 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)

CO2 on an Extinguisher on a small tank could last you the guts of two years or more.

H.

Are they simple enough to refit for that purpose? And more to the point, safe? I like my hands and need them for stuff like scratching my head in confusion, doing water changes, picking up cups of coffee etc :cool:

More
07 Sep 2013 16:00 #7 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
There are a few kits like that on the market, some with an on/off valve, some without.
They do work reasonably well.
I used the Hagen kit for a few years,
usa.hagen.com/Aquatic/Watercare/Additives---Supplements/A7690
Each refill lasted about a month. Co2 tok a few days to get going, and died off slowly towards the end of the month.
There is a DIY mix for this system, which makes it cheap to run
www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f24/hagen-...nt-system-59483.html
There is no shut off on this system, so it runs 24/7
I would go with what Homer said, and get a Fire Extinguisher, (you can get some small ones now,) some connections, valves etc.
Best option in the long run.

More
07 Sep 2013 16:28 #8 by Homer (Kevin)

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
07 Sep 2013 16:34 #9 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)

More
08 Sep 2013 01:49 #10 by Inza (philippe launois)
This system looks very intresting, could you post some feedback on it homer ?

Also i would be very interested on knowing where you got the parts to do such a co2 dispencer :-)

And finally can you turn it of at night ? Do you use a selenoid co2 regulator ? And how much does the all thing cost you ?

Thank you !

Inza

More
08 Sep 2013 05:50 - 08 Sep 2013 05:59 #11 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph)
CO2 pressure reducer with 2 manometers and needle valve.
Ceramic CO2 reactor/bubble counter.
CO2 hose.
Check valve. Special CO2 Check valve with safe mounting and threaded connections.
Magnetic valve. Usable as night shut off with a timer.
About €100 , Without night shut off about €70
Made in Germany.
Last edit: 08 Sep 2013 05:59 by CrustyCrab (Peter Biddulph). Reason: Spelling

More
08 Sep 2013 08:36 - 08 Sep 2013 11:17 #12 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Some very good info here wish i had got some advice before buying a kit. Be careful with the glass diffuser, i have broken a load of them. Try to get the diffuser under the filter out flow or under a power head. The longer the co2 bobbles are in the water the better.

Defo go with a solenoid shut off. My co2 comes on an hour before the lights come on and go off an hour before the lights go off.

Stephen.
Last edit: 08 Sep 2013 11:17 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey).

More
08 Sep 2013 19:02 #13 by m4r10 (m4r10)
Replied by m4r10 (m4r10) on topic Disposable CO2
I was using a fire extinguisher for my tanks as it's much less hassle than the DIY method and not to mention not really suitable for bigger tanks. As mentioned already, get a solenoid as well as it saves you the hassle of turning on and off the CO2 every day and then getting the right amount of bubbles in the tank the next day.

Since I run out of CO2 a few months ago, algae started to appear in the tanks, but I kind of like it as it is, looks a bit more natural than before.

More
09 Sep 2013 00:40 #14 by Inza (philippe launois)
great stuff ! thank you guys for the info !

I was looking on ebay and various site but there are quiet a lot of brand for the regulator and price rang can go from 34€ up to 200+...

What brand would you recommend for the system, which one would be to avoid ? And where can you get an extinguisher ? does shops like Woodies would sell some ?

Thank you ! Inza.

More
09 Sep 2013 01:59 #15 by Homer (Kevin)

More
09 Sep 2013 03:25 #16 by m4r10 (m4r10)
Replied by m4r10 (m4r10) on topic Disposable CO2
I got my JBL CO2 kit second hand but some people are happy enough with the Chinese stuff off ebay. You could go round a few shops and compare prices for CO2 kits or could wait for one to pop up on the for sale section as they do regularly.

As for the FE, don't know if any of the LFS refill them, but I got mine refilled by D&D wholesale in Tallaght. They even sell FE if you need one.

More
09 Sep 2013 07:04 - 09 Sep 2013 11:13 #17 by Homer (Kevin)
Error.

Last edit: 09 Sep 2013 11:13 by Homer (Kevin). Reason: Error

More
09 Sep 2013 09:00 #18 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
I may be wrong, but I think there's a set up for sale in the 'For Sale' thread?

J.

More
09 Sep 2013 11:03 - 09 Sep 2013 11:05 #19 by Homer (Kevin)
Error.

Last edit: 09 Sep 2013 11:05 by Homer (Kevin).

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds