Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Putting plants into a new aquarium

More
21 Sep 2013 14:39 #1 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Hi there,

As I've posted in the Intro forum, I'm starting my first tank. It's a 165L and I've decided that I'd like to add some plants to it. My basic plan is to plant just the back left corner (maybe 20%-25% of the tank will have plants in it). I don't want to call it a 'planted' tank, 'cos there won't be a lot of plants in it, and calling what I'm doing 'planted' seems like a joke compared to some of the stunning tanks on here!

Anyhow, I've a few, hopefully quick, questions! I've got some AquaBasis Plus and some gravel to go over it. I'm thinking of putting the AquaBasis Plus into the back left section, and then covering the whole lot with gravel, as that will then give me the other effect I'd like, a slope from the back left to the front right.

So, firstly, when do I put plants in? Do I put in the AquaBasis, and then the plants, and then the gravel and then water? Do I put AquaBasis and Gravel in, then plants, then water? Or should some water be in before adding plants (maybe fill the tank halfway)? Basically, what's the order to do it in?

Secondly, I have a gravel cleaner for the tank, but I've heard that you shouldn't use a gravel cleaner on the Gravel over the AquaBasis, as it'll suck up the AquaBasis too. If that's true, how do I clean the gravel in that section?

And finally, what will I need to 'feed' the plants? I've heard I need some plant food, and also something to give them CO2 (I won't have a CO2 setup with a cylinder and all that).

Any other advice really would be appreciated, I'm only going to use hardy plants (so I don't kill them!), maybe some Vallisneria in the back and something smaller in the front.

Hope I've explained that all clearly, thanks!

J.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Sep 2013 14:56 #2 by davey_c (dave clarke)
1stly don't go putting down your initial effort at adding a few plants based on fully planted tanks, I'm sure yours will look just as well and without a positive attitude I don't think it'll be to your best so stay positive pal :cool:
I added plants when my tank was full and it was a pain to keep them down so id say add them before the water but keep spraying them so they don't dry out. No need ferts at the start realy and with vallis ye won't need co2 either. I'll let the more knowledgeable expand on that though because I wouldn't really be a plant person ;)
Best of luck with it :cool:

Below tank is for sale

my plywood tank build.

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php/forum...k-build-diary#137768

More
21 Sep 2013 15:09 #3 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Place your substrate in the way you want and i would fill the tank about 30% with water.Put a plastic plate into the tank and when you start filling aim for the plate, this stops the water messing up you substrate.Once your at 30% full start positioning your plants(leave them in the pots for now) once you think you have them where you want them whip em out of the pots and plant them. Make sure you bed them in well so you don't have any floaters.Seen as you will be planting a fresh tank, the plants will have no food what so ever, so i would start adding ferts right away.I have found that new plants in any of my set ups will start to wither in the first week or two after planting, but then they get used to their new surroundings and start to come to life.If this happens just remember to keep removing any dead leaves(this is a must)The plants will eat fish waste so i wouldnt be too worried about the gravel cleaner, just a light tidy up should be ok. Hopefully the more experienced plant people will have more detailed info.

Stuart.

Multi tasking: Screwing up more than one thing at a time.

More
21 Sep 2013 15:28 #4 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Excellent, thanks for your replies.

So basically I put in the AquaBasis Plus and the Gravel and then about 30% water? Sounds like a plan, thanks...

J.

More
21 Sep 2013 15:54 #5 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
There's a few ways to plant,
It's really down to personal preference
You can use gravel only
Or soil base capped with your choice
Of substrate.
Also plants weighted down sitting on top
Of substrate
There roots will find there way to the bottom
If left alone-

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
22 Sep 2013 21:42 #6 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Cool, thanks for that. I hadn't even thought of having to weigh the plants down. Beginning to wonder why I decided to go with real plants!

Another quick question: how many plants do I need? If I want around 30-40cm of Vallisneria along the back, how many individual plants do I need to buy?

Thanks...

J.

More
23 Sep 2013 08:27 #7 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Valis will grow and spread as with most aqua plants, so if i were you just buy a few pieces of it and once it takes hold you can split it and spread it.

Stuart.

More
23 Sep 2013 09:14 - 23 Sep 2013 09:15 #8 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Thanks for your reply Stuart.

Imagine you're talking to someone who knows nothing about this! :) When you say a few, do you mean around 3 or 4? And when you say split it and spread it, you mean what exactly?

Thanks...

J.
Last edit: 23 Sep 2013 09:15 by Jasonb (Jason Browne).

More
23 Sep 2013 09:31 #9 by anglecichlid (ciaran hogan)
As soon as it starts growing it will start sending out runners
Like little roots.

Anyone with a aquarium can keep fish,
But it takes real skill to be a fish keeper,

And it's spongeBob,
SpongeBob lives in a pineapple under the sea
BLANCHARDSTOWN

More
23 Sep 2013 19:28 #10 by wylam (Stuart Sexton)
Yeah sorry lol. Just like Angle said as it grows it will send out shoots under the substrate that will pop up and grow and so on . So if i were u id by maybe 3/4 clumps of it (probably about 5/6 shoots in a clump)plant them and see how you get on and soon enough you will be cutting the stuff out because it will out grow you tank lol.

Stuart.

Time to create page: 0.049 seconds