Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Questions about some 'bad' leaves...

More
22 Nov 2013 17:19 #1 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Hi there,

I've had some Cryptocoryne pontederifolia and Cryptocoryne lutea in my tank for nearly two months now, since I started the fishless cycle.

They're doing ok, but one of the leaves of the pontederifolia has three 'holes' in it. It's been like that for weeks, it's like it started to melt and then stopped. You can see it in the left of the picture below. Can I just leaf it (do you see what I did there? :) ) or should I remove it, and if so, where should I cut it?

Also, some of the leaves on the lutea are beginning to lose their green colour and go a bit more yellow. This has only started to happen in the last while. I'm guessing some sort of deficiency, but I'm not certain. It's on the right in the pic. Any suggestions?

Thanks...

J.

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Nov 2013 10:10 - 25 Nov 2013 10:11 #2 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Ok, so a few more of the leaves on the Crypto have started to Yellow, and I had to cut off the one on the right hand side of the pic as it had gone completely yellow.

From what I've read, this tends to be caused by either not enough light or not enough nutrients. I'm still adding 3 drops of Ferropol24 a day, which is the recommended dose. And I'm also adding approx. 3ml of Easy Carbo a day.

However, the lights are only coming on for 5 hours, as I reduced them from 10 a few weeks ago when I had the big Algae problem. I'm thinking maybe I should increase them again, as maybe that'll be the problem? I could put them up to 7 hours this evening?

How does that sound, thanks...

J.
Last edit: 25 Nov 2013 10:11 by Jasonb (Jason Browne).

More
26 Nov 2013 01:14 #3 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I would increase the light to a min of 6 hours and a max of 10 hours. Slowly increase the lighting period.

Any leaves showing these signs (deficiencies) should be cut or pinched off as low to the substrate as possible. New leaves will grow back soon.
The rest of the plant is just using up energy trying to keep these leaves alive.

I would be a little hesitant to add more plant food.
I would add some fast growing plants first (I think it was Proca who suggested this in one of your other posts). You don't want algae coming back into your life.

More
26 Nov 2013 09:54 #4 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Hi Darren,

Thanks for your reply...

Yeah, I was doubtful about adding more plant food too, but I did increase the lights to 6.5 hours from 5, and at the end of the week I might to to 7 or 7.5, I'll see.

I'll remove any yellow leaves, thanks. Should I also remove the ones with holes in them?

I got some Vallisneria tortifolia on Sunday so I've added them to the back of the tank. Of course, since getting them I've found out they're a dwarf Vallis, but they should still hit about 20-25cm which isn't too bad. That said, they're a git to plant, as apparently you have to leave the top of the root system exposed, but in doing that there's not enough roots to keep the plant from floating up from the substrate. I think this is partly due to how 'light' the Manado substrate is.

Anyhow, I have them planted and not floating away (finally!) so we'll see how they get on. And hopefully increasing the lights a bit will help the others.

I must admit, if I keep on having difficulties with plants I might be very tempted by fake ones, I've never had any interest in gardening! :)

J.

More
26 Nov 2013 10:30 - 26 Nov 2013 11:02 #5 by blade (Michael G)
Hi ,
i would also add more stem type plants once established they will use up excess nutrients so in turn will keep algae at bay ,

increase light and maintain good flow here is a couple of easier stems to try mid to background Wisteria (Hygrophila difformis) , hygrophila polysperma , Shinnersia rivularis 'Weiss-GrĂ¼n ,

for ground cover you could try Dwarf Sagitaria is nice in front and easier to grow than most types

Michael
Last edit: 26 Nov 2013 11:02 by blade (Michael G).

More
26 Nov 2013 10:39 #6 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Thanks for your advice... Wisteria looks interesting, I could go with that if the Vallis doesn't work out...

J.

More
26 Nov 2013 11:03 - 26 Nov 2013 11:05 #7 by blade (Michael G)

Thanks for your advice... Wisteria looks interesting, I could go with that if the Vallis doesn't work out...

J.

No prob.
i changed the foreground plant as you may have trouble finding it.

Dwarf Sagitaria is the one to look for .
Last edit: 26 Nov 2013 11:05 by blade (Michael G).

More
09 Dec 2013 20:19 - 09 Dec 2013 20:19 #8 by Lauris (Lauris)
I managed to found this one on Russian aquatic forums.
I liked this example so much I did a translate on it..
It may help to better understand your plants and water chemistry needed

I am planted!
Last edit: 09 Dec 2013 20:19 by Lauris (Lauris).

Time to create page: 0.052 seconds