Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Looking for advice on Plant care / algae

More
14 Jan 2014 19:11 #1 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Hi there,

Just looking for some advice. Near the front of my tank I have one Crypto pontederifolia and two Crypto luteas. They're planted for a few months now, and aren't looking as good as they could be, I reckon.

Firstly, and most obviously, there's a dark algae on the leaves of them, especially on the luteas:

I've got two Nerite Snails in the tank, but they don't seem too interested in this algae. Is there anything I can do? I do plan to get some Otos, would they take care of this algae?

However, apart from the Algae, some of the leaves don't look the best and I feel like I should be doing a bit of trimming / pruning maybe? But I have absolutely no clue about how to do this? Any advice about how to get the plants looking their best? Please explain it as simply as you can, I really have no idea about it! :)

I should probably say, I put Ferrorpol 24 and Easy Carbo into the tank every day, and I do 6 hours of light (anything more really seems to give the Algae a boost). The substrate is Manado over AquaBasis Plus..

Thanks in advance...

J.
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
14 Jan 2014 19:32 #2 by Esoxluciouss (denis goulding)
I got some advice from a forum member to put a couple of bn catfish in and the tank will be cleared of algae within a week, also cutting down on light also works.... As regards trimming prunning I normally just cut off the dead dying leaves close to the stem .. any pics of the tank in full...

More
14 Jan 2014 19:47 #3 by Homer (Kevin)
I use Algumin, works wonders as does Tetra Nitrate Granules, Nitrate minus.

H.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
14 Jan 2014 20:56 #4 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
Saw a youtube video made by an aquascapist and he was treating the leaves with hydrogen peroxyde in a spray bottle and underwater. will try to find the video and post the link

More
14 Jan 2014 20:58 #5 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)

More
15 Jan 2014 15:53 #6 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Thanks for your replies...

That's an interesting video, though I'd be a little worried about spraying hydrogen peroxyde around the place! Am looking at a few other videos too.

Here's a recent pic of the tank:

I have the lights down to 6 hours a day, but I'm wondering if I have too many nutrients in the tank. There's AquaBasis Plus and then I'm putting in FerroPol24 (and EasyCarbo) every day. It's a Rio 180L tank (well, with 145L of water) with only 6 plants in it, so maybe I don't need all that Ferropol24?

Thanks...

J.
Attachments:

More
15 Jan 2014 16:29 #7 by Miamiheat (Stephane Lemaire)
My first reaction to Hydrogen peroxide would have been the same, but i see fish in this guy's tank. I have a collection of orchids and was very surprised to learn that HP is commonly used to cure some infections on the plants.
But really what happens is that HP turns into water and oxygen on contact, so it should in fact be harmless.
For extra safety i would take them out, line them up on a tray, and spray them on the tray outside the tank. After a few minutes i would rinse them in aquarium water and plant them again.

More
15 Jan 2014 20:39 #8 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
I must admit, the idea of taking them out and replanting them worries me a bit. I really should have gone with plastic plants! :)

I am trying to at least indentify this growth (I assume it's algae). Any ideas? It's brown in colour, and is pretty flat (i.e. not hairy or anything like that) and doesn't rub off the leaves. Occasionally I've encouraged one of the Nerite Snails onto one of the leaves, and while they didn't hang around on it, the path they took did clean it off. So any ideas exactly what this growth is? If I can identify it, that helps narrow down a cure / prevention.

Apart from that, any advice on pruning or triming to encourage growth is appreciated, I'd love the plants to be more full and bigger. i tend to remove dead / dying leaves, but I think maybe I should prune some other leaves too, to encourage growth? Maybe the ones with the worse algae on them?

Thanks...

J.

More
16 Jan 2014 17:34 #9 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
Unfortunately you started with Cryptocorynes which are not easy plants. They are not real aquatic plants which means in nature they grow submerged only for part of the year. From my experience Cryptocorynes do very well in moderate light, hard or very hard water and mature bottom. There are reports saying that they prefer if the roots are partially in anaerobic conditions(oxygen depraved bottom). For the moment leave them be, once properly established the growth should improve(sometimes it takes months tho)

More
16 Jan 2014 18:37 #10 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
This idea of spraying hydrogen peroxyde in the tank intrigues me. Is any one using this method?

Stephen.

More
17 Jan 2014 02:12 #11 by zabol001 (Marcin)
It will be difficult to answer your question if we do not know the parameters of your aquarium.
Lights, fertz, co2 ?
The more plants in your aquarium, the less chance algae has of taking over. Plants compete directly with algae for light and nutrients, and most often win if given proper conditions.

More
20 Jan 2014 16:54 - 20 Jan 2014 16:55 #12 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Thanks for your reply...

The lights are two 45W T5 bulbs, one Juwel Day and one Juwel Nature. I've reduced them to 5.5 hours a day now.

I put 3 drops of FerroPol 24 into the tank every day (as per their instructions) and I put 3ml of EasyCarbo into the tank every day (as per their instructions) as there's approx. 150L of water in the tank.

I hope that helps, thanks...

J.
Last edit: 20 Jan 2014 16:55 by Jasonb (Jason Browne).

More
20 Jan 2014 20:54 #13 by alan 64 (alan)
i would remove the damaged leaves and double ur dose of easycarbo for a while and see how that goes

More
21 Jan 2014 00:43 #14 by zabol001 (Marcin)
Need to feed plants.

FERTILIZER IN DEPTH: MACROS & MICROS AND THEIR BENEFITS

Macros / Macronutrients (NPK) – there are three major macronutrients: Nitrogen (N), Phosphorous (P), and Potassium (K).

Micros / Micronutrients / Trace Elements – the most popular include: Iron, Boron, Manganese, Plantex, Miller Microplex.

Nitrogen (N) – the most common source is Potassium Nitrate (KNO3). It is the staple nutrient of all plants. It helps plants produce enzymes, proteins, and amino acids. A lack of nitrogen halts plant growth and promotes decay.

Phosphorous (P) – the most common source is Mono Potassium Phosphate (KH2PO4). Assists in plant DNA and RNA replication, and growth related processes. A lack of Phosphorous can result in the decreased ability for plants to uptake or absorb nutrients, leading to excess nutrient in the water and potential algae conditions.

Potassium (K) - potassium is found in compounds such as KNO3 and KH2PO4. For tanks with potassium deficiencies Potassium Sulfate (K2SO4) provides the element of potassium. Potassium plays a very important role in photosynthesis optimization, while keeping plant processes and production in a constant state of activity.

More
21 Jan 2014 12:27 #15 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Pardon the silly question, but isn't putting in FerroPol 24 feeding the plants?

J.

More
21 Jan 2014 13:31 #16 by zabol001 (Marcin)
Read this
www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=dosing-with-dry-salts

Yes you feed them but not enough.
It's hard to find any information about ingredients of ferropol 24.
People said its like micronutrients, name said too its ferro Fe.
So you still miss macronutrients.

More
21 Jan 2014 16:15 #17 by Jasonb (Jason Browne)
Ok, so I had to read that a few times but it's an excellent article, thanks. My first, obvious, question, where do I buy the powders?

Thanks...

J.

More
22 Jan 2014 13:51 #18 by zabol001 (Marcin)
Dry salts its the cheapest way to fertilizers tank.
Its problem to buy them in Ireland but you can get them in UK.
If you want you can use other brands like Easy life, Ada, Aqua art. They have full package of fertilizers with will be working same way just you don't need to mixing powders (of course cost more)
Easy life you can make yourself if you will buy salts and make exactly same fertz what they have in bottle.
Our sponsors selling all of them.
I will send you pm about dry salts.

Time to create page: 0.067 seconds