Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

E.I. dosing advice v profito and easycarbo

More
09 May 2014 17:48 - 11 May 2014 13:22 #1 by Zebrapleco (samuel wasson)
Well fokes looking for advice on my planted tank. As some of yous might know its 72x20x20 in size. At the mo I'm dosing with tropica premium fertlizer, easy carbo and pressurized co2. This is working well but the tropica is only a 300ml bottom and does not last long. So I was wondering if anyone uses the ei dosing method and if they do how does it work and how good is it.
Also I have been considered getting easy life profito universal fertilizer cause I can get a gallon on ebay worth the money which will last 9 months there or there abouts.
My substrate is jbl mando and should I have put in abase layer of dirt or something else.

Any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Last edit: 11 May 2014 13:22 by Zebrapleco (samuel wasson).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 May 2014 17:14 #2 by Zebrapleco (samuel wasson)
Fokes can any of give me any advice on this.

More
11 May 2014 17:37 #3 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
I m personally really happy with profito but for the size of your tank i would definatly use the ei method.
I have never used it but i know people with high tech 6 footer who uses it with great results but you need to be prepared to do a 50 % weekly water change.
Hope someone with first hand experience will tell you more.
For planted substrate i have only used ada amazonia.

Anthony

More
11 May 2014 23:30 #4 by zabol001 (Marcin)
Hi
I use EI method in my 120l tank for 2 years. Cheap way and you know what you dosing in to your tank.
Hard to get dry salts in Ireland :(
Read this first. Then need to get salts.
www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=dosing-with-dry-salts
Working well you can have a look in to my tank :)

More
15 May 2014 21:15 #6 by Zebrapleco (samuel wasson)

Hi
I use EI method in my 120l tank for 2 years. Cheap way and you know what you dosing in to your tank.
Hard to get dry salts in Ireland :(
Read this first. Then need to get salts.
www.ukaps.org/index.php?page=dosing-with-dry-salts
Working well you can have a look in to my tank :)

Thanks for the info. Its a real good article but am still a bit unsure about the whole thing hopefully more foke will give me there thoughts and eexperience on this and if I deside to start ei dosing I hope it will be ok to pick your brain at the time. B)

More
15 May 2014 22:33 #7 by zabol001 (Marcin)
I don't think so anyone use ei on this forum because when i was looking for information nobody knew.
By ei you can do easy life fertz exactly same like in original bottles are. B)

More
16 May 2014 06:31 #8 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)
There are some people that use them. Here's a place you can read some more and pick up a nice starter kit. Only takes a few days to get the kit in from the uk. Hope this helps.

www.aquariumplantfood.co.uk/fertilisers/ei-starter-kit.html

More
16 May 2014 06:56 #9 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
I use EI in a 100l, it works very well and is much cheaper then buying premixed ferts. You may have to adjust the dose depending on how heavily your tank is planted. I got a EI starter kit from a site in the UK which lasted almost a year before I had to get a refill.

Stephen

More
17 May 2014 16:53 #10 by Zebrapleco (samuel wasson)

I don't think so anyone use ei on this forum because when i was looking for information nobody knew.

How do you do this exactly.

Also thanks for all the info fokes. I think ill have to do a lot of research and go from there . But I do belive this will be the way forward for me.

More
17 May 2014 19:43 #11 by Gonefishy (Brian oneill)

How do you do this exactly.

Also thanks for all the info fokes. I think ill have to do a lot of research and go from there . But I do belive this will be the way forward for me.

Just have a read of this, it's very straightforward. They have a youtube video you can just watch....

More
17 May 2014 23:24 #12 by zabol001 (Marcin)
use water from RO filter or distilled water

nitro
~ 82g KNO3 dissolved in 500 ml of the resulting solution, which - 10ml/500L NO3 rise of about 2 ppm and 1.3 ppm K

phospho
~ 4 g KH2PO4 dissolve in 500 ml of the resulting solution, which will raise 10ml/500L 0.1 ppm PO4

Kalium - Potassium
K2SO4 - ~ 45g K2SO4 dissolved in 500 ml of the resulting solution, which will raise the K 10ml/100L about 4ppm

More
02 Aug 2014 15:08 #13 by Lauris (Lauris)
I use EI in all of my tanks. with appropriate light and co2 dosage you will never go back to any other plant food.
I've got the starter pack of them about year ago. And I still have a lots of left. I just need to top -up one element.
It is cheap and the best way to feed your plants. You really have easy control of elements to dose.

the cost of it is priceless :) :)

I am planted!

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds