Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Plant ID

More
25 Aug 2014 13:09 #1 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
I've had this plant for a while it was doing well since I had it. Over the last two weeks I've noticed the roots on this plant get bigger and the roots on my frogbit disappear. I tripled my dose of profito as I was giving far from the recommended dose and added pressurised co2.

In just 1 week this has grown like crazy bout 10 inches my frogbit has roots again it might come back again. My tank is 2.5 feet in length and at least three of these plants are 1 an a half feet long. Anyone no the name of this?

Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 Aug 2014 13:19 #2 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Plant ID
I could be wrong (again) but it looks to me like African Fern - Bolbitis heudoloti.
Perhaps this could be confirmed/refuted by a proper plant person?

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
25 Aug 2014 13:20 #3 by joemc (joe mc)
Replied by joemc (joe mc) on topic Plant ID
Ceratopteris thalictroides

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
25 Aug 2014 14:18 #4 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
Replied by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella) on topic Plant ID
Thanks for the help was annoying me probably should write down all my plant names :laugh: .

More
25 Aug 2014 15:40 #5 by swai (Simon)
Replied by swai (Simon) on topic Plant ID
Take a picture on your phone!

Marino, Dublin 9

More
25 Aug 2014 17:09 #6 by JohnH (John)
Replied by JohnH (John) on topic Plant ID

Ceratopteris thalictroides

Ah well, not so bad - I had the 'Fern' part right - just the wrong continent (that was pretty close for me though!).

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

More
25 Aug 2014 17:57 #7 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
A picture? Do you mean a pic Of the names?

You guessed better than I did john since I hadn't the slightest clue. :silly: I was searching a few months ago for this plant in a few shops just to find out the name but never came across it.

Being a fern might explain all of the baby plants growing out of them. Reminds me of java fern.

More
25 Aug 2014 21:54 #8 by Mike53 (Michael)
Replied by Mike53 (Michael) on topic Plant ID
Hi Joe, where did you get the plant, wouldn't mind some of that myself
Mike

More
25 Aug 2014 22:32 #9 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
I got them from a forum member when I bought frogbit a good few months ago.

More
26 Aug 2014 09:09 #10 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Plant ID
Absolute mental plant, spectacular growth and easy to boot!

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
26 Aug 2014 09:21 #11 by Homer (Kevin)
Having looked a bit closer, I am not so sure now, looks more like Bolbitis , there are no juvenile leaves at the tips that you would normally see in Ceratopteris.

Kev.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
26 Aug 2014 09:37 #12 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
I no kev it's crazy. By juvenile leaves do mean baby plants? Cause I picked 20-30 plants before I took the picture.

It has interesting emersed growth.

More
26 Aug 2014 11:14 #13 by Homer (Kevin)
I am more convinced it is Bolbitis because of the translucent nature of the leaves and the membrane running down each side the central vein of the leaf , something I think is absent from Ceratopteris.

Remarkable growth though, I stand to be corrected.

Kev.

More
26 Aug 2014 11:54 #14 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
I've been taken pictures of this tank Since it was setup 2 months ago and ya can see the roots come out of no where 2 weeks ago and long leaves came this week :D I'll add better photos shortly.

More
26 Aug 2014 12:08 #15 by joemc (joe mc)
hi lads, it is Ceratopteris, it is a very variable plant depending on growing conditions, a great plant to create shade , provide hiding places for fry and suck up excess nutrients in a tank, actually I think it could even have been me that posted it to you joe!

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

More
26 Aug 2014 12:14 #16 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
Yea that's right I got it with frogbit. Doing amazing for me as you can see. Have you any experience with planting in substrate I've seen a picture of one growing upwards earlier taught i would ask before getting my arm moist :) .

More
26 Aug 2014 17:10 #17 by joemc (joe mc)
yeah, you can plant it in the substrate, it will grow differently, more upright, treelike, plant it towards the back or sides of the tank as it gets big, but if you have large active fish it will probably not do great as it is very brittle, if I was going to plant some I would remove a few of the leaves from a floating plant before planting it to reduce the buoyancy making it easier to establish, oh and leave the removed leaves floating to produce more plants.

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

More
26 Aug 2014 17:15 #18 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
Thanks Joe. I'll plant one of the smaller plants to see how it goes I think I seen what it looks like planted but I wasn't sure if it was the same plant. I'll try it on the side to see if I like it or not thanks for the tips.

Time to create page: 0.068 seconds