Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

What plants to get ? Help

More
06 Oct 2014 21:08 #1 by MickM (Mick)
Hi,
I'm looking to start planting my aquarium I know it's not ideal as my fish are in the tank but I would like some advice on different types of plants preferably tall plants or more easy to keep plants.
Also I'm a rookie on substrates and the likes all I have is a thin layer of gravel would appreciated substrate/DIY substrates which could support the plants.
Thanks Mick. :)

“Alive without breath,
As cold as death;
Never thirsty, ever drinking,
All in mail never clinking.”

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Oct 2014 21:31 #2 by Darkslice (Stephen Walsh)
If you still with gravel, then java fern.

With substrate, how big is your budget and how big is the tank :)

ADA is very good, but substrate is only half the battle for growing plants, I'd recommend using Co2 injection. Helps control algae. But lighting will be your biggest challenge.

Give us some more info on your tank :)

Size, lighting, what you want to grow, etc

More
07 Oct 2014 15:53 - 07 Oct 2014 16:57 #3 by Lauris (Lauris)
easy grow plants for a starter might be worth to consider:
Java Fern
Java Moss
Anubias Barteri
Anubias nana
Amazon Sword
Cryptocoryne Beckettii
Hornwort

ADA is good but also one of the top-priced ones in market. while if you getting easy
care plants - anubias don't need substrate at all. everything else, can live on with clay balls
or toot tabs to support the roots.

sure when you are the way own to planted you may consider in time accurate fertilizing
methods and pressurized Co2 system. but if you just want to have something to start with
you can get easy-carbo and something like JBL ferropol instead to keep your tanks going.
just don't go crazy about photoperiod. start with 6 hours a day and gradually increase it to 8

sure depends how strong are your lights too

I am planted!
Last edit: 07 Oct 2014 16:57 by Lauris (Lauris).

More
07 Oct 2014 23:06 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Hi Mick, as mentioned above a little bit of info on your tank will go a long way in pointing you in the right direction with plants.

What size tank? What lights are on it, what filter have you got and even what fish you have.
Also do you want just a few easy plants or a full blown planted tank with all the bells and whistles (Co2, high light, daily feeding of fertz..) ?

Any info will help.
Darren.

Time to create page: 0.036 seconds