Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Another plant ID

More
19 Jan 2015 22:35 #1 by Tommyk (Tommy Kearney)
Hi, can anybody tell me what the tall grass like plant is in this photo. It's doing really well in my tank and I would like to research it a bit more. Thanx
Attachments:

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
19 Jan 2015 22:53 #2 by Eric (Eric Corcoran)
I think is vallisneria. I'm not a plant man at all so someone with more knowledge will correct me if im wrong

Eric

More
19 Jan 2015 22:58 #3 by Tommyk (Tommy Kearney)
Thanx Eric, I was thinking it might be a vall alright but the ruffled edges were throwing me off.
Cheers

More
20 Jan 2015 00:49 #4 by joemc (joe mc)
Replied by joemc (joe mc) on topic Another plant ID
Aponogeton spcies, (or hybrid, most in the hobby are) i would guess from what i can see of the plant

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
20 Jan 2015 07:40 #5 by Tommyk (Tommy Kearney)
Just doing a bit more googling could it be crypt balansae???

I couldn't find a species of cal with th ruffled leaves

More
20 Jan 2015 07:48 #6 by joemc (joe mc)
Replied by joemc (joe mc) on topic Another plant ID
i don't think it is Cryptocoryne balansae, i might be wrong, but from you saying how well it is doing i would be more assured it is an Aponogeton as they grow fast whereas C. balansae is a slow growing plant,
can you check the base of the plant and take a pic? what do the leaves grow from?

FOR SALE
Catappa Leaves
PM FOR DETAILS

Ebay Fish Foods Click here!

More
20 Jan 2015 08:03 #7 by Tommyk (Tommy Kearney)
I can't get a pic now I've left for work. Not sure if I'll be able get one when I get back either it's fairly close to the back of the tank. The leaves are growing from what seems to be a central crown. It sat in the tank and did nothing for about 2 weeks grew a little in the following 2 weeks but has grown about 6 inches in the last fortnight and put on lots of new leaves. It's about 30 inches high now. Whatever it is I'm happy with it just curious. I got it the same time I got some jungle vals but they have done nothing yet smaller if anything but a little thicker. Found out after that ther don't like liquid carbon.

Time to create page: 0.043 seconds