Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Free Plants

More
22 Mar 2015 19:17 #1 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
Few swords 2 foot tall loads of leaves having counted, crypts purplish and green ones tall and small aswell, some hygro, java moss, java fern an others I dont know the names. All resting in a bucket as of ten mins ago these filled up my 4 foot tank. small bit of spot algae on some plants anubias is worst think the crypts have it on 2 to 5 leaves through out the whole bunch. Never had snails in this tank either.

I went away for the week and while I was away someone knocked my co2 canister over. When it hit the press (marked it) the valve changed from 1 bubble a second to about 20 bubbles (too many to count). I've lost my plecos, corys, discus and couple others and I am just heartbroken at this stage that I'm giving up on the hobby. I had to rip all the plants out to save what I could two gouramis and a betta. I cant guarantee will survive the night.

Collection in Navan up until tuesday at 11 am its 2 mins from Navan Town or else Tallaght, Killinarden from tuesday until wednesday I do not think they will survive much passed then.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
22 Mar 2015 19:49 #2 by Remy (Remy)
Replied by Remy (Remy) on topic Free Plants
very sorry to hear Joe :S Can I take the plants,its for my new projeckt.thanks

More
22 Mar 2015 19:57 #3 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
Pm sent.

More
22 Mar 2015 20:28 #4 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Replied by JustinK (Justin Kelly) on topic Free Plants
Don't give up Joe.
You could either go low-tech or else bracket the canister to the cabinet or even turn it off when away.

More
22 Mar 2015 20:46 - 22 Mar 2015 20:46 #5 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
I've had mixed feelings about it for a while with maintenance and time. I feel now would be the time to get out for a while. I'm holding onto my tank and equipment I'm just gonna move them into storage until I decide to get back into it. It's not permanent probably just a few months or a year.

Last edit: 22 Mar 2015 20:46 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella).

More
22 Mar 2015 23:24 #6 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic Free Plants
What bad luck, so sorry, yes, its very tempting to throw the towel in but please just hold on to your equipment, I did not and regretted reacting too quickly.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
23 Mar 2015 08:06 #7 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
A break is never a bad thing if you have lost some of the passion for a while.we all have mishaps and question contuining in the hobby but as Kev said sometimes we can react too quickly when the mishap occurs.Take a few weeks and see how it goes.Give the tank a good spruce up and maybe a slight redesign and if that doesnt get you back into it then fair enough.Doing the redesign or spruce up can often be the hardest part to actually find the motivation to do it after being fed up of the hobby.
Gavin

More
23 Mar 2015 11:13 #8 by Joekinsella (joe Kinsella)
I agree with not letting go completely if I take a few months off I will probably feel different again I want to set up a piranha tank or a pleco tank just haven't got the energy or the head for it at the moment betta and gourami's are surviving found a two inch pleco this morning in the tank moved her to a 90l for now wasn't much fight in it but at least this one was moving.

I'll be on here looking for information when I do recover from this one XD.

Remy just collected plants.

More
23 Mar 2015 11:36 #9 by Homer (Kevin)
You'll be fine Joe, shit happens, I lost some wonderful Ivanacara adoketa some while back because an air line came off a sponge filter, they were showing signs of breeding and bang, gone, i was goung to chuck it in but came across some Apistogramma trifasciata and hey ho, off we go!

Kev.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
23 Mar 2015 11:36 #10 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Replied by hammie (Neil Hammerton) on topic Free Plants
Joe
If it wasn't for bad luck lately you'd have no luck at all!
Glad to hear your hanging onto the equipment and all

Take it handy brother

More
23 Mar 2015 13:53 #11 by Fishowner (Gavin fishowner)
We all get bad days in this game,its a sign we give a damn i guess.I lost some stunning rams dome yeard ago after a water change,temperature change wiped them out within minutes....I was so gutted at the time,ive yet to find ones as colourful.
Sounds like you have plans anyhow to start again so its great you havent let it beat you. Gesh Kev if you pack it in then we all may as well forget about it! Id say alot of people and myself on here would be lost for advise from yourself and John and a few more.
Gavin

More
23 Mar 2015 16:36 #12 by Homer (Kevin)
Ah, ta very much!!! :blush: :blush:

Kev.

Time to create page: 0.056 seconds