Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

EI Alternative?

More
21 Apr 2015 19:28 #1 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Hello all,

Ok so I have a 250l heavily planted tank. Mostly easy plants, running co2 and EI ferts as per instructions. All growing very well and requiring weekly pruning. The issue I have is I am getting tired of the 50% water changes. My question is what are the alternatives to EI? When I started EI I had a 100l planted tank so water changes were easy but when I got the 250l I soon realised I would have to find an alternative. Any suggestions are greatly appreciated.

Stephen.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
21 Apr 2015 20:41 - 21 Apr 2015 20:46 #2 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
The best thing i ever bought in my years of fish keeping is my JBL Aqua In/Out water changing device..In America they are known as Pythons..I can do 50% water changes on my 240 litre aquarium in 50 minutes and not a bucket in site..no mess, no spills, no lifting heavy buckets of water, no siphoning dirty fish hoses with your mouth..You connect it to your taps, run the long hose into your tank and away you go.....When you have removed the waste water dose the aquarium for its full volume with dechlorinator and only then fill it back up...ive never had any issues with my fish using this method....

Heres a link....

www.jbl.de/en/aquatics-freshwater-produc...2454/jbl-aqua-in-out

There are also good videos on You Tube demonstrating the device..
Last edit: 21 Apr 2015 20:46 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered).

More
21 Apr 2015 21:57 #3 by baan (Fintan Breen)
Replied by baan (Fintan Breen) on topic EI Alternative?
I'm doing EI and thinking about the water change aspect (I use rainwater so wondering about if I'll have enough over the summer!). Only I haven't got it working 100% for me yet (6-8 months later!!). I'm still fiddling.

However, it should be possible to fiddle with EI to make it work for you. See www.barrreport.com/forum/barr-report/est...a-small-modification for further details. It just means finding the amount you need and then playing with the dosing versus water changes.

More
21 Apr 2015 22:08 #4 by Q_Comets (Declan Chambers)
Like baan says maybe halfing the ferts and maybe reducing the co2. Maybe have less pruning to do also :)

More
22 Apr 2015 18:48 #5 by Hicker12 (Stephen Hickey)
Thanks for the reply's lads. Will start reducing the ferts and see how it goes. If I can get it down to 50l or less a week I will be happy. I do have access to RO water so might start using it for water changes in the planted tank as my tap water is very hard.

Stephen.

More
29 Jan 2016 17:16 #6 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
Don't reduce the co2 or you'll end up with algae. Reduce either lighting or the ferts.

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds