Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Vallisneria in a pot?

More
28 Oct 2015 14:23 #1 by ger310 (Ger .)
Hi I recently had success with growing Vallisneria 'Gigantea' by using only a thin layer of play sand as substrate,but I was overrun with runners shooting up all over the place and it became pretty unsightly so I got rid............now I think they make a great background plant especially if you have a high tank so I was wondering has anybody got success with it growing it in a plant pot?........I know the runners will still shoot up but with it being in a pot it would be easy to keep them in check,cheers

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
29 Oct 2015 21:39 #2 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Either way you still have to cut the runner ☺

More
30 Oct 2015 22:13 #3 by ger310 (Ger .)

Either way you still have to cut the runner ☺

Yeh I know man but it would be much more manageable to do it if they are in a pot,that's my thinking anyway...........I'm just wondering even though they are easy to grow would they grow reasonably well in a pot or not?

More
30 Oct 2015 22:25 #4 by tankedup (Johnny Tanked)
I have potted vallis and others in terracotta pots, John innes number 3 compost (make sure it has no herbicide or pesticide added) and a thick layer of gravel on top. To stop the soil being washed out. Works well

More
30 Oct 2015 23:29 #5 by ger310 (Ger .)

I have potted vallis and others in terracotta pots, John innes number 3 compost (make sure it has no herbicide or pesticide added) and a thick layer of gravel on top. To stop the soil being washed out. Works well

Cheers for that dude.........and did it grow the same as it normally does when planted in tank substrate were the runners would run wild all over the place?

More
31 Oct 2015 00:50 - 31 Oct 2015 00:52 #6 by tankedup (Johnny Tanked)
Ger I didn't even notice it was your post, was thinking of you the other day did an order from lamp specs think it was you put me onto them! They do send out runners but it's basically like a spider plant rather than a full on substrate invasion, cover the hole in the bottom of the pot with an old sock or something on the inside, then the runners have to go out the top of the pot and you can just clip them off before they grow back down to the tank floor if that makes sense. Only sold the last of your white tail acei a couple of months back got out of the Malawi!
Last edit: 31 Oct 2015 00:52 by tankedup (Johnny Tanked).

More
31 Oct 2015 00:52 - 31 Oct 2015 00:53 #7 by tankedup (Johnny Tanked)
Hope I have the right Ger
Last edit: 31 Oct 2015 00:53 by tankedup (Johnny Tanked).

More
02 Nov 2015 12:31 #8 by ger310 (Ger .)

Ger I didn't even notice it was your post, was thinking of you the other day did an order from lamp specs think it was you put me onto them! They do send out runners but it's basically like a spider plant rather than a full on substrate invasion, cover the hole in the bottom of the pot with an old sock or something on the inside, then the runners have to go out the top of the pot and you can just clip them off before they grow back down to the tank floor if that makes sense. Only sold the last of your white tail acei a couple of months back got out of the Malawi!

Ah Johnny whats the craic?......yeh Lampspecs,they are great for cheap bulbs aren't they :)........ah yes the Acei's ha,now that was a lot of fry you left with :lol: gas

yeh I am gonna put some plastic in the pots so the runners only route would be up through the pot were I can snip snip (Georgie Burgess moment :lol: ).......I just wanted to make sure they grow decent enough doing it like this before I invest in a load of them that's all,and I think I have some of that John Innes compost buried somewhere down in the shed so i'll get going on them in a week or so,cheers dude :)

More
02 Nov 2015 17:41 #9 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
Just buy a small few and re-pot the new growth

More
02 Nov 2015 19:16 #10 by tankedup (Johnny Tanked)
No problem dude let me know how you get on

Time to create page: 0.046 seconds