Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

IKEA plants

More
15 Nov 2015 22:14 #1 by JustinK (Justin Kelly)
I was in IKEA today and saw they have assorted "water plants".
They are in a container of water with the plant/roots held in the usual wrap and terracotta pot.
I bought one that most resembled a grass like plant. I wasn't too sure of the others available.
Just wondering if anyone has bought/used them ?
Should be planting tmoro.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Nov 2015 22:32 - 15 Nov 2015 22:37 #2 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic IKEA plants
Justin, you have now way of knowing what pesticides and algicides have been used in their cultivation so be careful, most plants advertised in places like Ikea would most likely be either plants that will survive a few weeks submerged or are marginals and rarely true aquatic plants, one usually offered is Ophiophogon , aka Japanese mondo grass or something like scirpus or equisetun.

I just checked the site, the pics are too small in my phone to identify but they actually do look like proper water plants, you might be in luck, I have to check out a worktop for my kitchen there tomorrow so I'll check them out!

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!
Last edit: 15 Nov 2015 22:37 by Homer (Kevin).

More
15 Nov 2015 22:47 #3 by LemonJelly (Johnny Cowley)
I found this on Youtube. Looks pretty promising.

"The only thing that burns in Hell is the part of you that won't let go of your life; your memories, your attachments. They burn them all away. But they're not punishing you.They're freeing your soul."

More
16 Nov 2015 09:54 #4 by trent (trent)
Replied by trent (trent) on topic IKEA plants
i had them about 6 years ago with angels, corys and tetras. i got a mix of about 10 of them and they lasted a good few months and i didnt know anything about lighting and fertilisers ect. about aglecides ect the fish were pretty hardy so wasnt a problem for me

More
16 Nov 2015 19:05 #5 by anthonyd (Anthony Debesne)
When you consider the price, it is worth a shot as long as there are no inverts in the tank.

More
16 Nov 2015 19:28 #6 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic IKEA plants
I checked them out today, I only recognised one, creeping Jenny, that's about it.

Kev.

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
16 Nov 2015 19:32 #7 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
I was only out there on Saturday never seen them( probably because I was to busy having the meatballs in the foodcourt :) )

For 1.50 it's not bad I might go back out to get them when I'm setting up the aqua one Betta trio.

I seen some pretty cool led light strips that could be used on an aquarium.

Regards
Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

Time to create page: 0.044 seconds