Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

help with plants

More
05 Dec 2015 18:02 #1 by robert (robert carter)
hi all ,looking for a bit of help with my plants, very new to keeping live plants , tank 350 litres ,lighting 4 by30w t8 tubes , should point out the tank is 24 inches deep . I am getting small amounts of brown algea on the leaves but the thing that worries me is that a lot of the leaves have small holes in them as though they are being eaten ,don't mind this if this is the cause ,but watching the tank I have never seen any of the fish eating then . lights are on timer 10.5 hours daily adding easy carb daily and easy life profit weekly after water changes . as I said new to live plants so any help would be welcome . keep safe all on this stormy night . thanks Robert

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
07 Dec 2015 13:15 #2 by ger310 (Ger .)
Replied by ger310 (Ger .) on topic help with plants

hi all ,looking for a bit of help with my plants, very new to keeping live plants , tank 350 litres ,lighting 4 by30w t8 tubes , should point out the tank is 24 inches deep . I am getting small amounts of brown algea on the leaves but the thing that worries me is that a lot of the leaves have small holes in them as though they are being eaten ,don't mind this if this is the cause ,but watching the tank I have never seen any of the fish eating then . lights are on timer 10.5 hours daily adding easy carb daily and easy life profit weekly after water changes . as I said new to live plants so any help would be welcome . keep safe all on this stormy night . thanks Robert

I'm not very knowledgeable myself when it comes to plants (among other things) but 10.5 hours of lighting a day seems a lot to me and 30w tubes does not seem strong enough especially as it's 24 inch deep but that would probably depend on the plants you have really............Anubias and Java fern are all I can grow and I once fluked successfully growing Vallisneria (all easy to grow plants really) so i'm probably not the best guy to be giving advise!!.....All the best

Ger

What do you call a three legged Donkey?

A Wonkey....duh ha :)

More
07 Dec 2015 13:32 #3 by robert (robert carter)
hi .thanks for your reply ,the lighting set up is what came with the tank , I was hoping that more hours lighting might help balance the fact that the lights 4x 30 watt t 8s probably arnt the best , so next question how do I improve the lighting level ,is it just a matter of renewing tubes ,which are only 3 months old or do I need to change the hole system which sounds expensive . although the tank has never been used before myself I understand it was lying around for a couple of years ,as its a Rena 350 and understand Rena haven't made tanks for a couple of years . please lads need some your help on this its driving me mad .Robert

More
07 Dec 2015 20:11 #4 by robert (robert carter)
Hi surly with all the experienced people on this forum someone must have the knowledge to assist me please

More
08 Dec 2015 17:52 #5 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Holes in leaves is indicator of lack of nutrients, i would increase fertilizer amount and also get macronutrients.

Good practise is to fertilize daily instead of weekly. Plants will use it all and nothing will be left for algae.

Light period over 9h can actually do more harm than good to plants even that your light is not so strong.

Try above for a month and see if any improvement. Then you can think about upgrading the stronger light, it really depend on plants you have. Some doesnt really need strong light especialy when you dont inject co2.

Hope it helps.

Tom

More
08 Dec 2015 19:28 #6 by robert (robert carter)
hi Tom thanks for your reply ,I was down with seahorse aquariums ,they some of the problem is the depth of the tank being 24 inches ,anyway have replaced all four t8 tubes with jewel high lite day tubes , a massive improvement ,they have also ordered for me a 90cm led light bar ,this will sit across the tank braces so should further improve things .One point you sudject to fertilize daily ,at present using easylife profito at weekly water changes so do I use this daily at the weekly dose ?. robert

More
08 Dec 2015 22:00 - 08 Dec 2015 22:01 #7 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Yes, simply just devide weekly dose by 7 and that dose daily. Levels of available nutrients wont fluctuate this way which is good for plants.

Also SAE and oto affinis are top algae eaters so I would recommend to get a group of these.

Post some photos when you get a chance.

Tom
Last edit: 08 Dec 2015 22:01 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak).

More
08 Dec 2015 22:34 #8 by robert (robert carter)
Thanks tom will give that a go

More
09 Dec 2015 03:01 #9 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Robert if your having alagae issues i recommend Nerite snails...In my opinion they are the best algae eaters available....
They will even eat green spot algae off glass and that stuff only comes off with a razor blade...

Nerite snails come in different shapes and sizes...I recommend Horned Nerites as they are smaller and can get about the
tank better....They get to the most awkward inacessible places and as a result are awesome algae eaters...They wont damage
plants either....The other bonus is that they dont breed in normal fresh water (they need brackish conditions) and as a result you
wont end up with a snail plague that comes along with other snails....

I also recommend you reduce your lighting period to a max of 8 hours....

Toms idea of dividing the Profito dose into 7 is also an excellent idea...I actually divide it in to 3 over a 7 day period and find it works
well for me...

More
09 Dec 2015 13:48 #10 by robert (robert carter)
hi thanks for your help ,any idea who might have the snails and how much

More
09 Dec 2015 13:59 #11 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Seahorse Aquariums got a bundle of them in last week (Horned Nerites)

3 Euros each

I have nine in a 240 litre and they are doin a great job for me!

I put them in all my tanks as the initial inhabitants when setting up new tanks so algae cant take hold...

More
09 Dec 2015 15:21 #12 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Also your water changes will have an impact on the plants your growing
what are your nitrate and nitrite levels like?
are you adding additional oxygen to the tank etc

Bare in mind that the nutrients will be removed during waterchanges etc

More
09 Dec 2015 17:20 #13 by robert (robert carter)
hi thanks for your reply, my nitrate level 12.5 ppm and my nitrite is zero also ammonia is zero , have just brought 8 horned nerites snail as was sudjested from seahorse aquariums . after researching this forum and the internet I think my main problem is the depth of the tank 24 inches and the fact I am running t8s . thanks Robert

More
09 Dec 2015 19:44 #14 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Deeper tanks prefer t5's (or leds)but good strong new t8 bulbs should be fine! Their output does deteriorate over time tho!

It'll take a bit of time but soon you will see a difference! I have 1 planted tank at the min, nothing fancy just easy to grow plants and a single t5 bulb! No reflectors no nothing! It's growing slowly but healthily so I'm happy! I don't dose with frets as much as I did at the start, I haven't done any waterchanges in months and the fish are healthy and happy! (Channa don't even have heaters or filters this time of year)
So it's more a case of letting everything bed in properly, and finding your balance between dosing, water changes and healthy happy fish!

More
09 Dec 2015 22:36 - 09 Dec 2015 22:42 #15 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Flourescent tubes should ideally be replaced every 6 months......

The light output rapidly depletes after that....This will lead to poorer growth...

Also the tube replacement (if there are multiple tubes) should be staggered over a period of a couple of weeks..
Dont change them all at once...It can shock the plants and encourage algae to grow...
Last edit: 09 Dec 2015 22:42 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered).

More
10 Dec 2015 08:34 #16 by robert (robert carter)
oh dear made a mistake changed all the tubes on Tuesday for new ones from seahorse .the information on this forum is brilliant ,as I said in my introduction only back with a tank short while after a 20 year gap .feel that I am very much a new cummer so different from keeping koi .

More
10 Dec 2015 08:39 #17 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
Keep an eye on it and if you start getting algae growth, cut back the light hours a bit!
Other than that I don't see many major issues arrising

More
10 Dec 2015 09:59 #18 by robert (robert carter)
ok will keep an eye on things . thanks a million for all your help .robert

More
10 Dec 2015 14:27 #19 by robert (robert carter)
just a quick update just checked my tank looks as though the clown loaches had a busy night upturning and eating my nerite snail I put in yesterday, 5 empty shells so guess the prospect for the remaining 3 isn't good .20 euro down the drain or should I say down the clown . life is a big learning experience

More
10 Dec 2015 18:53 #20 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Damn sorry to hear that, ya clown loaches are snail killers lol.

So now its either snails or clown loaches, or you can get SAE or oto but they might not be as good with green algae as nerite snails, they are great for brown algae though.

More
13 Dec 2015 20:08 #21 by robert (robert carter)
After some serious thinking I think my problem is not enough light seeing that the tank is 24 inches deep . My present lighting is 4 t8s jewel day light 30 watt 6500 k and 2400 lumina per tube . All Pond Solutions now do a direct LED replacement unit that fit the existing fitting it is made by aquatlantis and not Chinese, Each replacement unit is 44 watt 6800k and 3824 lumina.. now the big problem is cost after postage and exchange rates they are 240 euro per unit, was wondering could I leave two t8s and replace the other two with the LED units . any views from you experienced people would be great . don't really mind the cost as future proofing the tank would be good ,but don't want to spend this amount unless its going to solve the problem . thanks Robert

More
14 Dec 2015 11:21 #22 by hammie (Neil Hammerton)
looks a bit expensive to me to be honest
have a look at the Aquaone Tropiglo range of LED bars, they come in 4 sizes from 45cm (13watt) to 122 cm (37watt)
and the price seems to be not too bad!!!!! or the Plantglo range that is slightly stronger, again 4 sizes 45cm (18watt) to 122cm (49watt)

perhaps this would be a good way to suppliment some of your T8's instead of changing the whole system?

Ive used some of these lighting systems in the past (mainly the smaller plantglo and mariglo ones) with some good success

More
14 Dec 2015 12:57 #23 by robert (robert carter)
thanks for your reply ,spoke to all pond solutions this morning they will be bringing in their own range of these lights but don't have a price as yet . I have ordered a light bar 90 cm from seahorse which should be in on Wednesday this week , again not cheap 167 euro so I will try that first and see how it goes .thanks Robert

Time to create page: 0.074 seconds