Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

How to keep plants healthy

More
15 Dec 2015 20:17 #1 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Hello everyone when it comes to keeping plants my skill levels are well in the minus.

I set up a aqua one betta trio a few weeks ago put some decor in and planted some Anubis and some Java fern and for once I was actually happy with the set up at the first attempt usually I take a step back move a stone take a step back move another stone :crazy: but this time I was 100 percent happy with the set up.

So plants are in 2 weeks and the Java fern seems to be going discoloured at the tips of the leaves and the Anubis is getting some algae on it and holes in the leaves and a bit of patch discolouration on one of the leaves.

I have 7 hours of light a day and am using Ada Amazonia substrate.

So can someone help a brother out because when it comes to plants I'm useless :( .

Regards Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
15 Dec 2015 21:02 - 15 Dec 2015 21:11 #2 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)

Last edit: 15 Dec 2015 21:11 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle).

More
16 Dec 2015 09:08 #3 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Craig it looks from the picture that you have the rhizomes (base) of the plants buried in the substrate...This will kill both Anubias and Java Fern as it causes the Rhizomes to rot...The base of both of these plants should be tied to rocks or wood and exposed to the water circulation..

More
16 Dec 2015 10:49 #4 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)

Craig it looks from the picture that you have the rhizomes (base) of the plants buried in the substrate...This will kill both Anubias and Java Fern as it causes the Rhizomes to rot...The base of both of these plants should be tied to rocks or wood and exposed to the water circulation..

Oh so you can't plant these into the substrate ?? .

I kinda wanted them planted could you suggest any lo maintence plants that I can plant.

Thanks for that I would t of had a clue plants arent my strong point.

Regards
Craig

More
16 Dec 2015 14:38 #5 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Most Sword plants are easy, Cryptocornes are handy enough...the Tropica website is a good source of info for plants as regards lighting requirements etc..

More
29 Jan 2016 17:11 #6 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
Hygrophilia Polysperma
Hornwort
Water sprite
Java moses

Time to create page: 0.047 seconds