Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

co2

More
24 Dec 2015 20:18 #1 by robert (robert carter)
co2 was created by robert (robert carter)
Hi all , my 24 inch deep 350 litre community tank is planted, I have just upgraded the lighting and am thinking about adding co2 . Using liquid co2 at present. I know absolutely nothing about this , firstly is it worth doing ,what about cost for a system and running cost, and how difficult is it to set up and maintain .thanks robert

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
24 Dec 2015 21:50 #2 by Homer (Kevin)
Replied by Homer (Kevin) on topic co2

The Glass is always greener on the other side.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
25 Dec 2015 12:03 #3 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Replied by helix8008 (Tomas Novak) on topic co2
You can get some second hand system to save money. I got mine for cca €140 from co2art.co.uk, 2kg fe will cost you around €50 online.

I have mine set up with 2kg fe in 100l tank for 3 months, 6-8 bps and pressure didnt drop even by mm. It really depend how big and densely planted is your tank. I have no regrets going with injected co2, plants grow like crazy and my hc cuba love it.

You should know that liquid co2 like easy carbo is not same as injected co2 (didnt know this myself until recently :crazy: ) so you can use both.

Get as much info to make sound decision, Kevs link is great source. Ultimately you need to test what suits your tank.

Tom

More
25 Dec 2015 13:34 #4 by robert (robert carter)
Replied by robert (robert carter) on topic co2
I find liquid co2 quite expensive in a 350 litre tank was hoping that once set up costs sorted that ongoing costs would be less . What to you think?

More
25 Dec 2015 15:13 #5 by robert (robert carter)
Thanks for the link horner very useful ,I can get a 2kg fe free it was last serviced june 2014 does that mean it was refilled at this date. Would the co2 in this be medical grade or would I be advisable to get it refilled
, sorry for all the questions but don't have a clue about this so am relying on you guys that have the knowledge and experience to guide me through this . Thanks lads

More
25 Dec 2015 15:45 #6 by robert (robert carter)
Loozing at ebay I see co2 regs that include solinoid valve for about 30 sterling from China , are these safe? and will they fit a 2kg fe . Or is it safer and better to get a system for seahorse. .sorry for all the question but want to get this right . Don't think the wife wants a big hole in the ceiling

More
25 Dec 2015 17:52 #7 by Homer (Kevin)
There really is no difference between FE CO2 &Medical grade, the only difference is the container it is dispensed from, I sell FE and a lot cheaper than those refills, also, with modern FE, the date is irrelevant as the containers no longer corrode and are therefore safe. The only difference is that the inner tube is omitted in the Food Grade, otherwise, identical.

Kev.

It's NOT "Chee lick", NOT "Chee Chee Licks"!!! Cichlids is pronounced as "Sick Lids"!!!!!

More
26 Dec 2015 08:31 #8 by robert (robert carter)
Now this is silly guestiion ,the fe I can get looks a bit the worst for wear paint wise and seeing that the only space I have will be beside the tank it will be seen , now if I sand it down etch prime it and paint it silver will the company in tallaght still refill it seeing that in would no longer be red or have any fe signage on it .its just a thought

More
26 Dec 2015 10:55 #9 by Homer (Kevin)
Anyone competent in filling a FE would know what the container is for, sanding it down and painting it etc, would not render it unusable, however, if you were worried about aesthetics, you could always wrap it in contact paper, any colour or design you might like.

More
26 Dec 2015 13:44 #10 by robert (robert carter)
thanks

More
26 Dec 2015 23:43 #11 by robert (robert carter)
A couple of question ,1. Does co2 increase algee growth , 2. How much co2 would I need to put into my 350 lt tank , 3 how long would a 2kg fe last . Robert

More
27 Dec 2015 08:02 #12 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Replied by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered) on topic co2
Co2 encourages healthier plant growth which in turn helps plants outcompete algae for nutrients which basically means in a well planted tank Co2 injection will discourage algae growth...In fact in well planned Co2 injected planted tanks you will see no algae growth at all!

Your tank must be sensibly stocked as well......

More
27 Dec 2015 16:01 #13 by robert (robert carter)
Thanks for your help , what you say certainly makes sense . Any chance of advise with the two other question , 1. How much co2 do I put into the tank ,2. How long should a 2kg fe last on a fill . Thanks robert

More
27 Dec 2015 22:04 #14 by robert (robert carter)
Anyone any views on co2 inline diffusers, hoping to go to seahorse and get the stuff to set the system up now I have a 2kg fe tomorrow. So any views would be great tonight if poss . Thanks all

More
27 Dec 2015 22:16 #15 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Definitely go with inline difuser, higher disolution rate.

Depending on you plants and bubble rate, 2kg should last between 6-9 months.

Tom

More
27 Dec 2015 22:20 #16 by robert (robert carter)
Thanks Tom ,just watching a couple of vids on them on utube seems to be a difference of opion as to fit it on intake or return on the external filter . Whars your view

More
27 Dec 2015 22:30 #17 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
I have it on return pipe, also read some put it on intake.

More
27 Dec 2015 22:41 #18 by robert (robert carter)
That's what I thought would be best ,

More
28 Dec 2015 08:35 #19 by Homer (Kevin)
Make sure you use tubing rated for CO2

Kev.

More
28 Dec 2015 15:52 #20 by robert (robert carter)
Well was down with Darren in seahorse this morning cashed in the Xmas vouchers picked up the crystal profi e1500 as a second external and the works to set up the co2 system tomorrow evening . So if you see a red cylinder travelling across the sky at great speed you will know I didn't get it set up right . Thanks lads for all the info and sorry for being a pain in the but with all the question .

More
29 Dec 2015 18:48 #21 by robert (robert carter)
ok , filter up and running ,and so is the co2 , just find the regulator very hard to set to two bubbles a second ,I set then a few minutes later it has either stopped or is running mad fast . reg from seahorse so should be decent quality , has anyone else had this problem . thanks Robert

More
29 Dec 2015 21:14 #22 by Homer (Kevin)
When the co2 is off, the tube is under no pressure, when your solenoid clicks in, co2 enters and it takes a fraction of a second to reach fur turgidity, it will escape slowly first to the tendency is to increase the flow, when the tubing is full it is under pressure and co2 exits quicker, more quickly than desired, you will learn to tweak it in a short time and it will work properly each time you switch it on.

I hope I made sense, anyone else care to chip in, I may be wrong.

Kev.

More
29 Dec 2015 21:34 #23 by robert (robert carter)
thanks kev , its just gone off now and set to come back on at 12 noon 2 hours before the lights come on ,anyway will stick with it and see what its like tomorrow

More
01 Jan 2016 13:32 #24 by robert (robert carter)
hi a couple of days on and still cant get a constant bubble count on my co2 , it varies from stopping to about 10 bubbles per second , and needs to be set each time the solenoid works . two questions is my set up correct ,reg to one way valve, to bubble counter, to inline difusher . secondly would it be possible to put in an in line reg in the line after coming out of the reg on the cylinder ,have seen these on ebay but don't know would this help my problem .

More
02 Jan 2016 17:45 #25 by dub320d (Derek)
Replied by dub320d (Derek) on topic co2
Hi Robert sorry that your having probs with your co2 set up
My set up is a 6 kg co2 bottle Ag Edge in bray €10.00 refill and i have a regulator that has a built in glass bubble counter on top of cylinder then the co 2 tubing has a one way valve and then goes into the diffuser which is placed directly under the filter in this tank . the bubble counter is set at one bubble per second 24 hrs per day { my solenoid is lying in the wardrobe disconnected for the last 18 months as i found that I needed to check it far to frequently and was consistently adjusting same
I do recommend using a glass co2 indicator in the tank and i would look at this every day.
What you could try is set up yours as above without the solenoid and run it for 2 or 3 days and if all is ok then link up the solenoid to a timer switch (€8.00) and instead of turning off the solenoid off for 12 hours at night i Would set this timer to come on for 10 minutes every 3 hours at night and this will prevent bubble counter water going into co2 tubing due to far too much pressure in the regulator due to being turned off for so long at night as i found out that water in the co2 tubing between the bubble counter and the one way valve will give you incorrect / unstable bubble counter readings/ settings . I think this is worth a try and you might even have a spare timer switch that you could try Best of luck Robert

More
03 Jan 2016 00:27 #26 by robert (robert carter)
Hi all ,well I think the erratic co2 is sorted ,was down with Darren in seahorse today ,he said he would replace the blau reg I got from him, replacement is now fitted and co2 appears to be constant and stable . So thanks again to Darren and seahorse aquariums

More
03 Jan 2016 17:36 #27 by dub320d (Derek)
Replied by dub320d (Derek) on topic co2
glad you got sorted

More
03 Jan 2016 20:19 #28 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Glad you got it sorted, good luck and post some photos

Tom

More
03 Jan 2016 22:03 #29 by robert (robert carter)
Just can't get into the photo posting thing my cannon camera just take too big mp photos and I am useless at the computer thing

More
03 Jan 2016 22:09 #30 by helix8008 (Tomas Novak)
Upload to photobucket (free service) and put links into post

Time to create page: 0.082 seconds