Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

sterilizing aquarium plants

More
22 May 2016 19:03 #1 by nomad (pat murphy)
Am going to be getting some wild caught plants so to speak so want to get rid of any nasties they may be harbouing,what would be a good way of doing so,cheers..

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
23 May 2016 01:35 #2 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
Potassium Permanganate baths are the best option!

More
23 May 2016 13:35 #3 by nomad (pat murphy)

Potassium Permanganate baths are the best option!

Thanks is it a chemist where you buy this stuff and is it pricey,also could you give me the breakdown of the way you do your plants,amount to use,what water to mix with,is the whole plant inc roots soaked etc etc etc,it would be much appreciated :)

More
23 May 2016 13:42 #4 by nomad (pat murphy)
Ive had some different growths on some wood I,ve used after even power washing it first,bogwood,mopani,redmoor wood etc had some green algae on bogwood but that suddenly cleared.Had a big root not sure what it was but it started getting covered in a hairy white furry growth,took it out and used the powerhose again and later after being put back it started growing again :(

More
23 May 2016 14:42 #5 by fishmad1234 (Craig Coyle)
Just a thought here never used this method but what about putting the plants into a container and using eye wash solution that's sterilised but would depends on what the solution was made up of

Regards
Craig

at the end of the day it becomes nite

More
23 May 2016 14:51 #6 by nomad (pat murphy)
I would assume that its so sterilized especially seeing as though its an eyewash that theres no chemical at all in it that would kill bacteria,snail eggs and other nasties ....

More
23 May 2016 22:07 #7 by gunnered72 (Eddy Gunnered)
It can be bought on Ebay UK and its pretty cheap...

You basically put a tiny amount in a container of lukewarm water and soak the whole plant in the solution for about an hour...You only put enough in to make the water turn transparent blue or purple...

Be very careful with it because it will die anything it comes in contact with and dont let it get on your hands (wear gloves)

After you bathe the plant you wash it thoroughly under the tap (again with lukewarm water) then soak it in dechlorinated lukewarm water for about half an hour (that will neautralise any remaining traces of the Potassium Permanganate...

More
23 May 2016 22:35 #8 by nomad (pat murphy)
Appreciate your reply,not knowing how much to use and so if using too much I could kill the plants that are costing a few bob is putting up red flags with having no experience .I googled earlier about dosing amounts for PP and it varies so much,even as to the length of time to soak and rinse,also read that on one website that the roots shouldn't be dipped in it :(

More
23 May 2016 23:09 #9 by igmillichip (ian millichip)
I used to use potassium permanganate, but WaterLIfe Myxazin will do a good job.

ian

Irish Tropical Fish Society (ITFS) Member.

More
23 May 2016 23:30 - 23 May 2016 23:47 #10 by nomad (pat murphy)
Thanks very much for info Ian it looks like it would be maybe the safer option in unskilled hands,would have hated being in the position of untreated wild plants arriving and not knowing how to make them safe.
p.s meant to ask what dosage would be recommended for dipping the plants,how long soaking and a rinse under the tap after or a wash off in a bucket of tank water.
Last edit: 23 May 2016 23:47 by nomad (pat murphy). Reason: p.s

Time to create page: 0.048 seconds