Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Dutch Tank

More
25 May 2007 14:27 #1 by HairyMolly (damien kenny)
Hi Guys,

I've been running a rio 180 planted tank for some time now , and i was wondering is anyone here familiar with a dutch tank set up, i eventually want to try and have the set up, but would be looking towards the later half of the year before i have the money to invest in one. I'm looking towards a 4ft tank and was wondering could anyone guide me in the right direction , i'm investing in a good co2 system, undergravel heating and arcadia luminar for this project can anyone guide me anywhere further?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
25 May 2007 16:27 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
There will be one of these displayed at the fish show this Sunday.
I'm sure the owner (zig) would be more than willing to talk you through it.

More
25 May 2007 16:30 #3 by HairyMolly (damien kenny)
unfortunately i wont be able to make the show have other commitments for sunday but should be going to next meeting in harolds cross they look like a lot of work though but im up for the challenge. cheers

More
30 May 2007 06:09 #4 by KenS (Ken Simpson)
Replied by KenS (Ken Simpson) on topic Re: Dutch Tank
The tank Peter (Zig) displayed at the show was amazing. He truly has green fingers!

Regards,

Ken.

• georgina (georgina)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
30 May 2007 06:54 #5 by georgina (georgina)
Replied by georgina (georgina) on topic Re: Dutch Tank
in fairness to him it was amazing. Does it take a lot to get a tank looking like that?

More
02 Jun 2007 06:13 #6 by zig (zig)
Replied by zig (zig) on topic Re: Dutch Tank
HairyMolly dutch style tanks usually don't have any hardscape in them, rocks wood etc, they usually just have groupings of individual plant species built into a foreground, midground and background planting. Each plant should be chosen to fit your size tank when it grows out, so you would choose the plants to go in each area bearing in mind the final size of the plant. so no point in putting for instance sword plants in a midground area because they will eventually get to big.

The other most important thing in dutch style tanks is colour, there should be a good mix of red, green and brown plants layed out in a pleasing fashion. Pruning of the plants is also an important consideration in this type of layout, these type of layouts are usually meant to last some time, even years in some cases.

Good dutch style tanks are rare enough these days though, not a lot of people do them anymore although in Holland they still have a yearly competition of this style tank (I will try and find a link to last years winners) these days people are more orientated towards nature style layouts, where the plants will not be grouped together so much in order to emulate what you would see in real life nature, a more wild natural look.

You won't need a substrate cable, they offer no benefit in a planted tank.

If you want to follow the other threads I am going to start this should give you some ideas, one of my own tanks is 160l so not to far off your own 180l, you will have lots of maintainence to do in a CO2 injected 4ft planted tank to keep it in good order, so just bear that in mind especially if you go with highlight.

Best of luck with it.

Time to create page: 0.039 seconds