Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Live plant aid please.

More
27 Jun 2020 10:50 #1 by trik (KIRT .)
Hi all.
As some of you may know, I'm new to live plants. You probably seen my other post in tropical tanks beginners.

I have some plants in my tank, only been in there for 2 weeks or so, & they have some sort of white-ish powdery dust spots on them. ( & All the plants not just the odd 1 or 2). I can get you the name of the plants if you need this information.

The tank is set to 23 *c (there abouts) my temp' clock is digital & says 23.4 *c at a max when the heater clicks on, & it's 22.8 *c at is coldest. ( My temp' clock is the opposite side of the tank to the heater).

Also, there is no fish or any water additives in the tank. Yet . I don't really want to use additives, I'd prefer to keep it natural.
I have not used any fertilizer.
My substrate in seachem black clay gravel only. At about 1 & half inch depth.

Is this white-ish stuff algae.?
I thought algae was green.

Can I also ask, my tank will be ok / plants be ok, as there's no form of carbon going in there, ( no fish breathing out, or no waste ) are the plants going to suffocate with only oxygen they give out?
Thanks all.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2020 18:38 #2 by trik (KIRT .)
hi all.

about the white-ish dusty above..
im not sure if i said earlier, but my tank is in a dark-ish corner.
so, plants like the natural sun light to grow or for them to do there thing. so i thought my light is no good, (it works yes, but not for the plants health).
I had a look at the description of my light & its this 1 i got off amazon.uk back in 2018. I got the 11 inch size.

www.amazon.co.uk/MPANDA-Aquarium-Submers...ibious/dp/B07HP3YQR9

if you read down the link, it does say full spectrum (blue light).
So im thinking that my light is ok for plant growth / health.

with the light on it seems plenty bright enough.

So i took another look over the internet for white-ish dust from any body else.

I found this....

www.myaquariumclub.com/plants-covered-in...p-please-515575.html

could 1 of you take look over this & see what you think.

Half way down in this above new topic i found, some 1 say use excel.....
They are making this excel stuff to be next best thing to slice pan.

or am i reading something that not there.

any ideas on it all please.

thanks..

More
29 Jun 2020 09:55 #3 by trik (KIRT .)
Hi.
I have a few photos to show you my plants with the issue.
Hope I've done this post/reply correct. (I'm hopeless with the phone)
Thanks..

Also, I hear that seachem excel clears a lot of problems in the tank.?
Any views on that, please.
I have just got (the missus) as just pick me some up. Il take look tonight.

Thanks again.

Attachments:

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds