Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Lighting (Mid-day break)

More
16 Aug 2006 04:20 #1 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Does anyone know the reasoning/logic behind having your lights switch off for a couple of hours during the day i.e on a timer.

I'm trying it out at the moment in my planted tank. Growth seems normal but i definitely have less algae on the glass.

Lights are now on from 10am to 12am and then 2pm to 10.30pm. Total 10.5 hours.

Previously had the lights on for about 13-14 hours a day. Is my reduction in algae growth merely that i have the lights on for less time or is the break in the daytime the answer?

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Aug 2006 11:33 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
"It is possable to combat algae in the aquarium by controling the intensity and period of lighting and creating a siesta period."
Quote by Peter Hiscock from the book Aquarium plants.
He suggests a hour and a half break in the middle of a 12 hour period.
But this also depends on your light intensity.

So i would say the break has helped in the reduction of algae.

• conor (conor)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
17 Aug 2006 10:17 #3 by conor (conor)
Replied by conor (conor) on topic Re: Lighting (Mid-day break)
Yeah, 13 hours is too much. It will cause algal blooms.
the reduction to 10.5 hours is exactly the right amount ogf light, but switching off during the day? Why? That makes no sense.

Why not use an automagic timer thingy. I use them on mine to great success.
I had added too many nutrients and with the addition of T5's to the planted tank, I got some algal blooms.

Out with the clippers and changed the lighting (and feeding) and all is grand again.

Will take new pics very soon. :?

Time to create page: 0.031 seconds