Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Hydor co2 kit

More
27 Aug 2006 06:07 #1 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Check your phone book for fire extinguisher refilling.
Not all the refill places will refill for you and some just want crazy money.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
02 Sep 2006 07:45 #2 by Gavin (Gavin)
Replied by Gavin (Gavin) on topic Re: Hydor co2 kit
I use em on my planted tanks. Best thing around if you ask me. Expensive intial outlay (it's the regulator that you are really paying for) but the diffuser is a nice dilivery system.65 days worth of co2 for a 300 litre tank and no mucking around with fire extinguishers and trying to get refills.stay away from yeast based ones as they are a bit on the naff side.

dont make me come over there.

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
04 Sep 2006 08:26 #3 by iffymike (iffymike)
Replied by iffymike (iffymike) on topic Re: Hydor co2 kit
Hi John,
I bought a Co2 system off ebay, from Germany, was a very good service, heres a link to one of them.
cgi.ebay.de/CO2-Anlage-bis-ca-300-l-incl...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
hope this helps.
Mike.

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
05 Sep 2006 04:44 #4 by iffymike (iffymike)
Hi,
I get mine filled at a Beer Gas facility, they refill it for £5 over here, i'm not sure if the regulators would fit on a normal Co2 Bottle, if they did that would solve a lot of your problems, will have a look tonight see what size the thread is.
Mike.
Know what youmean about plastic, not the same :(

• will (will)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
06 Sep 2006 08:19 #5 by will (will)
Replied by will (will) on topic Re: Hydor co2 kit
John, I have one of these from eBay, which is working very nicely attached to a fire extinguisher:

cgi.ebay.ie/New-Deluxe-Dual-gauged-CO2-r...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Zig is the man to ask about getting cheap fire extinguishers and refills, zig u around?

More
24 Nov 2006 03:42 #6 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
I'm looking for a solenoid valve that will fit onto the Hydor Kit. Is this possible???

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Nov 2006 04:30 #7 by iffymike (iffymike)

More
24 Nov 2006 12:28 #8 by zig (zig)
Replied by zig (zig) on topic Re: Hydor co2 kit

I'm looking for a solenoid valve that will fit onto the Hydor Kit. Is this possible???

Yes it should be possible, the solenoid fits onto the airline tubing between the tank and the regulator, it just acts as a electromagnetic on and off valve to stop and start the flow of CO2, it operates completely seperatly from the regulator normally via a timer, basically just split your CO2 tubing attach the solenoid, set up your timer, and bobs your auntie or words to that effect.

The one linked looks fine, just one thing to watch with solenoids is the wattage rating or VA (the one linked is 2 watts which is fine) the higher the wattage the hotter they run, basically some of the very cheap solenoids are very hot to the touch, ive come across some that in my opinion were a fire hazard because they ran so hot when in the on position.

More
24 Nov 2006 16:47 #9 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I was looking at this; cgi.ebay.de/CO2-Nachtabschaltung-Magnetv...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
But how do i translate this into english?

• iffymike (iffymike)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
24 Nov 2006 16:58 #10 by iffymike (iffymike)
Try sending him a message asking him for an english translation?

More
24 Nov 2006 17:14 #11 by zig (zig)

I was looking at this; cgi.ebay.de/CO2-Nachtabschaltung-Magnetv...QQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem
But how do i translate this into english?

Hiya Platty252

Use something like Altavista Babelfish, just paste the link or the text of the web page you want translated and tell it what language you want it translated to/from and it does the rest with reasonable accuracy.

Check it out babelfish.altavista.com/ here.

Also if you go to google and use the "more" feature above the search bar it will bring up many other options for you to choose from, one of them under the heading Communicate is a language translater, basically it will translate English to German, German to English and many other languages besides. Also if you download google toolbar the language translation feature is built in and will translate any web page for you at the click of your mouse.

Regards

More
25 Nov 2006 03:22 #12 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Thanks for the info, i didn't realise the solenoid goes directly onto the tubing. I had it in my head that if it did go in between the tubing the pressure of the Co2 would bulid up and spit the tubing out.

Thats grand now, i can pretty much go for any kind of solenoid, i don't have to wait ages for hydor to make one for this system.

More
25 Nov 2006 06:17 #13 by zig (zig)

Thanks for the info, i didn't realise the solenoid goes directly onto the tubing. I had it in my head that if it did go in between the tubing the pressure of the Co2 would bulid up and spit the tubing out.

Thats grand now, i can pretty much go for any kind of solenoid, i don't have to wait ages for hydor to make one for this system.

Hi Peter

Heres a shot from one of my own setups, the solenoid is attached about 2 inchs away from the regulator with just a small section of tubing seperating them, the solenoid is attached to the tubing with a sort of clamp (clamp aint a good word to use here but you get my drift I hope) which is built into the solenoid, you basically tighten it, so no fear of the back pressure blowing the tubing off. The solenoid is at the bottom section of this picture. I think once the CO2 tubing on the Hydor unit is the regular size then this should not be a problem to attach the solenoid. The regular size is just the same as normal airline tubing whatever that is, 6mm I think

More
25 Nov 2006 07:57 #14 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Nice one zig, thanks for the info & pic.

More
25 Nov 2006 15:28 #15 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Thats the one.
google toolbar downloaded and translater works fine. Cheers zig.

More
26 Nov 2006 05:41 #16 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Ok heres a quick question for the C02 experts out there, i have been checking my KH versus my PH and it appears i have about 15-20ppm of co2 in the water, i'm injecting about 15 bubbles per minute. (KH 3, Ph 6.8)

What is the optimum ppm i should have for my plants, and how many bubbles per minute should i be injecting to a 300ltr tank (Rio 300).

Also there is very little/no surface aggitation at the moment, should i aggitate the surface even a little or will this have a huge effect on the co2 being disolved.

I'm getting reflectors on the net, should be delivered in a couple of days, to increase light as theres no point in having co2 without proper lighting.

(Solenoid has been ordered on e-bay, £26 sterling.)

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
20 Feb 2007 16:08 #17 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Co2
If you get the Co2 unit The main bit is the solenoid. & to make life easier why not get a Ph Controller from Monitors Direct, it comes with Ph probe which is linked via the monitor and keeps the Ph set at desired level

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
21 Feb 2007 02:14 #18 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Hydor co2 kit
What do you need to know about it? I can have a look or ask the seller questions on your behalf

Time to create page: 0.058 seconds