Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Adding Laterite or similar fertiliser.

More
06 Sep 2006 06:39 #1 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
I am considering adding laterite or some other type of plant fertiliser under my sand substrate.

The tank will need to be stripped down and it will probably be messy and time consuming getting sand/fish/bogwood/rocks out etc.

Has anyone done it before? Any tips or ideas? Any adverse effect on Ph or water chemistry?

Is there an easier way to do it? How much laterite (In kgs) would i need for a Rio 300 tank?

Sorry, loads of questions but i want to know what i'm doing before i even consider it?

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
06 Sep 2006 15:35 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
For removing the contents of your tank i suggest you get a large plastic tub or 2 (100L OR SO) and a couple of plastic buckets from BandQ or woodies.
Using water from the tank fill the tubs so you can keep the wood,rocks and fish in. This will be a temporary tank.
Use one of the buckets to keep your filter media in, also filled with tank water. You will need to airate both of these.
I think this will keep the bactaria alive in your sponges but i'm not 100% sure.
Scoope out the sand and place in to buckets. Discard the remaining water.
You now have an empty tank to work with.
I'm not familiar with your tank but 1 Oz of pure Laterite for every U.S. gallon (4L).
If you tank is 300L you will need 75 Oz's of Laterite.
This is mixed with a 1" layer of gravel. Something like Aqua grit would do.
This is normaly covered by a fine mesh to prevent you syphoning during gravel cleaning.
The remander of your gravel goes on top of the mesh.
If you are using sand as the subtrate then you may be better off using aquarium soil instead of Laterite.
I have never used sand with a planted tank so it is hard for me to comment.
Now you can start to put water,rocks,wood and fish back into the tank.
You should be able to do all this in the same day, but if not your fish should be fine in the tub over night.

The Laterite will not effect your water. You will have to rinse it first to remove the dust. It can make your tank cloudy at first but this will clear.

For more ideas on planted tanks try www.plantgeek.net/

I hope some of this info is of use to you.

More
07 Sep 2006 02:02 #3 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
I was thinking that i might mix laterite with my existing sand substate,( i.e working it in by hand without moving any fish or water) and then putting a 1 inch layer of sand on top of this.

I think this might work as my sand isn't deep at the moment. Any thoughts on this?

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

• MistressAlphaFemale (MistressAlphaFemale)
  • MistressAlphaFemale (MistressAlphaFemale)'s Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
13 Sep 2006 03:01 #4 by MistressAlphaFemale (MistressAlphaFemale)
Replied by MistressAlphaFemale (MistressAlphaFemale) on topic Re: Adding Laterite or similar fertiliser.
I did this and the sand will keep down the subreight but beware when your vac the top. don't use your python just larger air tubing. Pickes up all the brown yuckies.

But for substrieght I have 1 Flourite (WILL NEVER do that again) and 1 Ego Earth and I love that stuff.

This way you don't loose that much of your sand. And your fish can still help you move it around lol.

More
14 Sep 2006 18:34 #5 by zig (zig)
The laterite will help, but personally i would not use sand if you intend to try grow carpeting type plants, a small gravel sized 1-3mm will work much better if mixed with the laterite, personally i would remove the sand alltogether.

Just my .02 cents others may differ!

• MistressAlphaFemale (MistressAlphaFemale)
  • MistressAlphaFemale (MistressAlphaFemale)'s Avatar
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
15 Sep 2006 19:36 #6 by MistressAlphaFemale (MistressAlphaFemale)
Replied by MistressAlphaFemale (MistressAlphaFemale) on topic Re: Adding Laterite or similar fertiliser.
did he say he was doing a carpet ? Im sssssooooooooo lost lol. I don't have a carpet I love watching the cories swimming around on the sandy bottom. :oops:

Time to create page: 0.042 seconds