Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Easy-Life Easy Carbo - any opinions

• S180de (S180de)
  • S180de (S180de)'s Avatar Topic Author
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Nov 2007 13:55 #1 by S180de (S180de)
Easy-Life Easy Carbo - any opinions was created by S180de (S180de)
I read a lot about this stuff. both positive and negative. has anyone here ever used this fertiliser? is any of the stores stocking this?

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
11 Nov 2007 14:05 #2 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I have never used this brand of liquid carbon.
I have used there profito plant fertilizer and found it to be a shrimp killer. There is something in the ingredients that dosent agree with invertebrate.

I use Flourish excel liquid carbon on a low light planted tank with success.

More
12 Nov 2007 12:47 #3 by zig (zig)
I have used this on and now for a good while, its about half the price of Seachem excel and is basically exactly the same product.

You can use it as a carbon supplement its primary use, or as an algaecide, its effective if you spot treat algae with it using a syringe.

Be careful overdosing with it as it can harm your fish, I normally don't overdose with it, I find the spot treatment more effective for algae. It can also as a side effect kill certain plants, this seems to vary from tank to tank but the main plants it effects are Vallis species ,Cabomba and Egeria densa. I found that Seachem excel would kill Riccia whereas Easy life carbo does not.

Overall I think its a very good product and I would recommend it, at the moment I'm usng it on a low light tank as a carbon supplement and its working very well but I also do occasionally use it as an algaecide.

I have never seen it in any shops over here I usually buy it online.

More
12 Nov 2007 13:53 #4 by Pablo (Pablo -)
The best liquid fertilizer for a low light tank in my opinion is \"Tropica Master Grow\" the people of Fish FX use to sell it but i don't know if any other LFS have it in stock now...

Pablo

• S180de (S180de)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Nov 2007 15:06 #5 by S180de (S180de)
Replied by S180de (S180de) on topic Re:Easy-Life Easy Carbo - any opinions
zig, do you know how that stuff actually works? what is that liquid carbon source? its probably not dissolved co2. but what else is taken up by the plants?

More
12 Nov 2007 17:02 #6 by zig (zig)
I believe the active ingredient in both excel and easy life carbo is polycycloglutaracetal:huh: Im not sure exactly how it works.

There was some concern in the early days of excel that it contained Glutaraldehyde which is cancerous but Polycycloglutaracetal is the isomeric form of glutaraldehyde so its safe to use.

It works well on low medium light setups but on higher light setups you would need to use CO2 as plants absorb the carbon better from CO2 at higher light levels. There seems to be a cut off point to the effectiveness of using polycycloglutaracetal as a carbn source at higher light levels where CO2 is more effective.

• S180de (S180de)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
12 Nov 2007 18:56 #7 by S180de (S180de)
Replied by S180de (S180de) on topic Re:Easy-Life Easy Carbo - any opinions
cool, thanks for the reply. might give it a try and order a bottle of that stuff.

More
21 Nov 2007 13:28 #8 by Trillian (Mary Russell)
I started off with only a few plants and low light but now I have high light and quite heavily planted tanks. I have only ever used Seachem Flourish Excel as a carbon source as I couldn't be bothered with the CO2 palaver. I know it works out more expensive but it's so easy to just add a capful twice a week. The plants are thriving and no algae problems. :)

Time to create page: 0.040 seconds