Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Ahhhhhhlgae

More
16 Nov 2007 23:20 #1 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
I have small high light planted tank that has been going successfully for the past couple of months.
I cleaned the filter 3 days ago and forgot to replace the carbon so i placed a bag temporarily in the tank.
Yesterday hair algae started to grow so i tweaked the Co2 up slightly to see if this was the problem.
Today the algae increased dramatically.
Also the water is slightly cloudy ( not tannings ) Possibly the start of a bacteria bloom from cleaning the filter.
I am dosing with PMDD mix ( KNO3, PO4, MG, K ) and Tropica master grow.

The problem is i am going away for the weekend so i wont be able to keep an eye on it.
Should i dose heavily ( EI method ) while i am away or should i shut down the lights, Co2 and fert's?
A quick reply would be appreciated since i will be gone from early tomorrow morning.

Darren.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Nov 2007 23:30 #2 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re:Ahhhhhhlgae
If you have fish in it only run the lights for a couple of hours to give the plants a chance to use any CO2 that is dissolved in the water. Massive water change tonight I should think since there are obviously to many nutrients in the tank.
Also aerate the tank well just top make sure that your filter bacteria can deal with any algae that possibly will die off while you are away.
You can balance your tank again when you get back

More
17 Nov 2007 00:39 #3 by zig (zig)
Replied by zig (zig) on topic Re:Ahhhhhhlgae
Darren I would just close the tank down. You could do a 48 hour blackout on it in the meantime, just cover the tank with a towel or something so no light gets in, aerate the water surface during the blackout and knock off the CO2, if you have time to do a water change tonight I would do that as well, if you dont it might not do any harm but it would help!!

When you come back do another water change and dose the fertiliser back in and run the CO2 etc, just as normal.

The blackout and the water changes are the best thing to do right now, it will help kill the algae and could clear up the bloom as well (if its the start of green water)

The hair algae sounds like A CO2 issue to me, those diffusers really need to be cleaned every couple of weeks with a bleach dip or they get clogged up and don't mist as well as they should.

Anyway hope that helps, have a good trip anyway. Any problems on your return let me know.

More
17 Nov 2007 02:19 #4 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Tank is shutdown for the weekend.
Thanks holger and zig.

Time to create page: 0.035 seconds