Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

The start of something beautiful (I Hope!)

More
16 Sep 2009 01:49 #31 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
It's a big change since you started 20 months ago. Well done and thanks for keeping us posted.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2009 18:05 #32 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
thank you. I'm in it for the long haul:)

More
30 Sep 2009 20:54 #33 by neil0r (Neil Sisson)
Looks amazing. The more I read about planted tanks the more I realise how little I know!

More
13 Apr 2010 19:59 #34 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
Well well its been a while. The tank is still going strong. I've had to tailor the tank, plants wise to my resident Bristlenose Plec. He didn't much like my carpet plants so I had to get rid of them. I have robust plants in the tank. I had Bacopa australis in the tank but he kept on breaking the stems so it had to go. The Staurgyne sp. i had as a foregorund had to go too for the same reason.

More
13 Apr 2010 20:47 #35 by mickdeja (Mick Whelan)
Love the tank dude.........:P

Follow me up to Carlow

More
11 Sep 2010 19:32 #36 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
2 years 9 months on. My God how time flies.

july 2010

September 2010

More
11 Sep 2010 23:21 #37 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
Tank looks amazing Ted how are you getting on with the co2 system do you think you really need one?

Im thinking about going the planted root my self can you give me a few tips on plants i should go for.

Thanks Ted

Mark

More
12 Sep 2010 09:42 #38 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
dickiedocker wrote:

Tank looks amazing Ted how are you getting on with the co2 system do you think you really need one?

Im thinking about going the planted root my self can you give me a few tips on plants i should go for.

Thanks Ted

Mark

The Co2 system has worked flawless for over two years. You dont need a co2 system if you have a low light aquarium, but it helps. When you have a medium to high light tank a co2 system become a necessity.

All the plants I have grow quite easily. Species like Hygrophilia sp, Ludwigia sp, Java moss, Bacopa sp, Cryptocorne, Rotala rotundifolia, Vallisneria spirallis and Sagittaria subulata. Other ones to add to the list are Java fern, Egeria densa, Indian fern etc, etc.

More
12 Sep 2010 13:30 #39 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)
ted30 wrote:

dickiedocker wrote:

Thanks Ted

Mark

The Co2 system has worked flawless for over two years. You dont need a co2 system if you have a low light aquarium, but it helps. When you have a medium to high light tank a co2 system become a necessity.

All the plants I have grow quite easily. Species like Hygrophilia sp, Ludwigia sp, Java moss, Bacopa sp, Cryptocorne, Rotala rotundifolia, Vallisneria spirallis and Sagittaria subulata. Other ones to add to the list are Java fern, Egeria densa, Indian fern etc, etc.

Sorry Ted what do you mean by low light aquarium/medium to high? is that the amount of hours there on or the kind of blubs im using.

I have two T5 running 8hours a day
A life Glo and a Power Glo
And im using EasyCarbo

Thanks Ted

Mark

More
12 Sep 2010 17:40 - 12 Sep 2010 17:41 #40 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
dickiedocker wrote:

Sorry Ted what do you mean by low light aquarium/medium to high? is that the amount of hours there on or the kind of blubs im using.

I have two T5 running 8hours a day
A life Glo and a Power Glo
And im using EasyCarbo

Thanks Ted

Mark

I'll link you to a website that taught me most of what I know rexgrigg.com/
Read, read and read again:)

Last edit: 12 Sep 2010 17:41 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird).

More
More
16 Sep 2011 18:27 #42 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
Well ppl I tore down the tank in this thread. With work and all I just couldn't find the time to keep up with the maintenance. Well I have a 60 liter tank that I'm planning to start a new planted tank. I just couldn't turn my back on this hobby. Will have submerged brances, stone and the plants obviously. Will get a school of Cardinal Tetras around 15 hopefully and Cherry shrimp. CAN'T WAIT!!!!!! I'm like a boy in a sweet shop :cool: :crazy:

• stretnik (stretnik)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Sep 2011 19:24 #43 by stretnik (stretnik)
Replied by stretnik (stretnik) on topic Re:The start of something beautiful (I Hope!)
Hi Ted,

Looks crackin', if the Filter IS an Eheim, Sean in FFF was showing me some expensive but really good looking intake and output connections made by Eheim for Eheim returns etc, mad money but very tidy.

Kev.

More
17 Sep 2011 11:31 #44 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
I sold the filter from the last aquarium. All the equipment was sold from the last tank except the CO2 and lighting systems. I have an Eheim Ecco filter with 12mm pipes. Would the intake and return fit these connections? I would be interested because I hate the stock connections.

Hi Ted,

Looks crackin', if the Filter IS an Eheim, Sean in FFF was showing me some expensive but really good looking intake and output connections made by Eheim for Eheim returns etc, mad money but very tidy.

Kev.

More
19 Sep 2011 21:40 #45 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
Not what I want at the moment but good things will happen with patience

More
19 Sep 2011 21:50 #46 by BlueRam (Sean Crowe)
kev have u got a link to these connections?

some setup mate great growth

sean

Sean Crowe

ITFS Member

Always Remember Surviving Is Not Thriving

More
20 Sep 2011 09:23 #47 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)

Not what I want at the moment but good things will happen with patience

Looks like the start of another stunning setup. You certainly have the gift, fair play :)

More
22 Oct 2011 20:11 #48 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
The latest picture before a trim. Enjoy

More
22 Oct 2011 20:23 #49 by SpiderMonkey (Mark O'Neill)

More
23 Oct 2011 07:42 #50 by Pat (Pat Coogan)
Fantastic thread and great links. Oh and the tank looks brill. :) :)
Is CO2 essential or will liquid ferts do the job.
Am currently using easy carb but not really getting the results I want?
Pat

More
23 Oct 2011 12:51 #51 by bart (Bart Korfanty)
Is that hydrocotyle verticillata bottom right?
Despite many tries was never able to grow it successfully
What's the growth rate, does it cover with algae easily?

More
23 Oct 2011 17:40 #52 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
thanx for the complememts ppl :) I'm using two grobeam tiles on the aquarium. I've never used the liquid carbon so cant comment on it. Id imagine its ok for small tanks with low to medium light. Co2 gas is essential for high light tanks like mine. Pat are u using nitrogen and phosphate ferts? The plant I have front right is indeed hydrocotyle verticillata. It took a while to get goin but now it grows at a steady rate. It was an algae magnet at first but now its algae free.

More
23 Oct 2011 18:48 - 23 Oct 2011 18:49 #53 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)

Here is a picture of my tank after a trim. It took a bit of patience but this tank is turning out better than my last tank. Who says small cant be beautiful.

Last edit: 23 Oct 2011 18:49 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird).

More
19 Nov 2011 21:11 - 19 Nov 2011 22:38 #54 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)

Setup since September
Aquarium: Eheim aquastar 60 (15 gallon)
Filter: Eheim Ecco 320
Heater: Hydor External heater
Seneye sensor
Fire Extingusher for CO2
Two TMC led tiles for lights
Fauna: 13 Green Neon Rasbora and Bee shrimp, Pearl blue shrimp and Cherry shrimp
Flora: many (will give more details in a few days)
The Seneye sensor is amazing. This device gives readings for ph, Ammonia and temperature nearly instantly. It connects to a pc via usb. This will add a new demension to water testing.

Last edit: 19 Nov 2011 22:38 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird).

More
10 Dec 2011 18:12 #55 by paulcavan (Paul Gileoold)
Where did you get the seneye sensor sounds like a great job new smaller tank looks amazing

More
10 Dec 2011 21:38 #56 by christyg (Chris Geraghty)
Stunning set (again! :cheer: )

Quick question, do you have a problem with evaporation without a hood and you don't seem to be using a condensation tray/ cover glass :)

More
26 Feb 2014 17:05 #57 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)

More
26 Mar 2015 18:58 #58 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
I still have this 60 litre aquarium except i now live other side of monaghan but it still looks good. Pictures to follow.

More
26 Nov 2015 14:05 - 26 Nov 2015 14:10 #59 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird)
Can't upload pictures

Last edit: 26 Nov 2015 14:10 by ted30 (Damo Mac an Bhaird).

More
26 Nov 2015 14:16 #60 by JohnH (John)

Can't upload pictures

Here's Valerie's tutorial:

www.irishfishkeepers.com/index.php?optio...id=106751&Itemid=200

Works for me.

John

We're just two lost souls swimming in a fish bowl - year after year.

ITFS member.

It's a long way to Tipperary.

Time to create page: 0.094 seconds