Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

new picture of me planted tank

More
05 Jan 2008 06:14 - 16 Feb 2008 04:31 #1 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski)
File Attachment:

NOWA ARANZACJA

Akwarium :
1 feb
File Attachment:

27 jan after cut
File Attachment:

File Attachment:

technical stuff

o[wietlenie,
40 w arcadia 7000k, 36w diy warm light, 20w t4 6500k 2700 lumen
96w/180 litrów zbiornik
filtration:

fluval 305,carbon, rings, sponge

CO2
polish pucin maker
water

PH 6,8 sprawdzane co 3 dni
no3=4
no2=0
kh gh ok

flora:

Hygrophila stricta
hydrophila difformis
ludwigia repens
ludwigia inclinata
anubias
4xanubias barteri var nana
5x lotos tygrysi
4x kryptokoryna wendti
lobelia cardinalis
File Attachment:

microsorum
fauna:
4 Corydoras melanistius brevirostris
4 corydoras auenus
4 neon axelrodi
6 angels
File Attachment:

2otocinclus affinis
2botia
4x plecostomus plecostomus
other
3 frogs

akwarium 120 l
after flood
File Attachment:

today
File Attachment:

size 101/35/45

light
40w daylight 6500k

filtration
juwel crab filter :(
fluval 3

flora
microsorum
java moss
hydrophila difformis
ludwigia inclinata

fauna
13 neonow red
pair Pelvicachromis pulcher
about 200 fry

akwarium 72l juwel
new
File Attachment:

old
File Attachment:

older
File Attachment:

snails factory

wielozadaniowe akwarium experymentalne

technical stuff
filtr wew. juwel
400l/godzine
grzaBka 100w
[wietlowka 20 w juwel
compact 15 w aquel

flora
valisneria nana
Echinodorus tenellus (
Vesicularia sp. 'Christmas'
Lilaeopsis brasiliensis
Monosolenium tenerum
riccia fluittas

fauna

snails
guppies fry
cardinia babutti and red

File Attachment:
Attachments:
Last edit: 16 Feb 2008 04:31 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski).

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
05 Jan 2008 11:41 #2 by Tom (Tom Brecknell)
Tank looks great, all your plants are very healthy looking. With plant names people will know what to buy if they want to replicate your plants.

Tom.B)

More
05 Jan 2008 17:38 #3 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Beautiful tank, very nicely layed out.

Tesco Plant food ??........... please tell me more!!!

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

More
06 Jan 2008 12:33 #4 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski)
tesco baby bio :D:D:D thats chip :D:D:D

More
12 Jan 2008 15:27 #5 by zig (zig)
I don't think I would use Tesco baby bio tbh, nearly all terrestrial plant food contains urea or ammonia of some type. Ammonia is one of the easiest ways to trigger algae in planted tanks.

Tank looks nice anyway.

More
12 Jan 2008 19:46 #6 by Sean (Fr. Jack)
Regardless of the guys knocking it, who probally replace their plants every 2 months:laugh: this photo is one of the healthiest plant tanks around, you can tell the new growth happen in YOU TANK, when I started tropical freshwater in 1981, Ian from Aquaria LFS in Dun Loe Haire recommended pososfergen,(used for terrestrial flowers) instead of aquarium plant food and it worked!!!

That would be a ecumenical matter!!!

More
16 Jan 2008 10:33 #7 by Dobarchu (Adrian Redican)
Nice tank. I've just planted my first tank. I was wondering how long dit it take your plants to grow to that stage? Also, I'm curious how you add the plant food, is it just added to the water?

More
16 Jan 2008 12:43 #8 by zig (zig)
Fr. Jack wrote:

Regardless of the guys knocking it, who probally replace their plants every 2 months:laugh: this photo is one of the healthiest plant tanks around, you can tell the new growth happen in YOU TANK, when I started tropical freshwater in 1981, Ian from Aquaria LFS in Dun Loe Haire recommended pososfergen,(used for terrestrial flowers) instead of aquarium plant food and it worked!!!

Fr Jack with all due respect advocating the use of terrestrial fertilisers, phostrogen, baby bio etc, is most definitely not good advice to give anyone.

Adriano no disrespect to you either, you are obviously getting good results but I cannot advocate the use domestic fertiliser in planted tanks, you may unwittingly do untold damage to your live stock and no doubt your plants as well. Domestic plant fertilisers nearly all contain UREA or AMMONIA, both very harmful substances in high concentrations especially to fish.

We now have new members Dobarchu, no disrespect to you either Dobarchu, wondering how to dose this fertiliser thinking that it may be OK, I can assure you it is not OK, if it was we would all be doing it in the wider planted tank community.

If you want cheap as chips GOOD SAFE fertiliser make up your own stock solutions from powdered KNO3 PO4 etc, this information is widely available around the internet on any of the dedicated aquatic plant forums, or just ask here. You can make this fertiliser for pennies per 500ml or 1000ml compared to what you would pay in a shop for aquatic fertiliser (or domestic fertiliser for that matter) the initial outlay may be high (20-30 euro)for the chemicals, but you will get several years supply of fertiliser in return and its perfectly safe to use.

Fr Jack I know you say it partially in jest here in this section but lets face it if I were advocating and believed the use of domestic salt for marine tanks was OK and broadcasting it in the marine section of this forum I would reckon I would be called out pretty quickly by the members there.

Im sorry guys, but it has to be said loud and clear. I cannot advocate, and the wider planted tank community will not advocate the use of domestic fertilisers simply because THEY ARE NOT SAFE TO USE. There are couple of exceptions where they can be used, but very few, and usually just specific chemicals that are safe to use but in general NEVER USE DOMESTIC TERRESTRIAL PLANT FERTILISERS IN FISH TANKS UNLESS YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING.

With the relative cheapness of powdered fertiliser chemicals there is really no need to take risks anyway.

More
22 Jan 2008 10:19 #9 by Seboos (Sebastian Josiek)

NEVER USE DOMESTIC TERRESTRIAL PLANT FERTILISERS IN FISH TANKS UNLESS YOU KNOW EXACTLY WHAT YOU ARE DOING

That's right. But you suggest that Adriano doesn't know what is he doing ...
If all parameters is OK so what is the problem ...
Plants grow, parameters are ok so i think that is OK :) You can see it on photos ...
I can gues that adriano made some experiments and test to select a good portion of fertiliser that will be good for his tank.
I use a line of fertiliser but i do some fertilisers by myself (KNO3 or K2SO4) because my plant need it more and it's OK.
Of course is not good for aquarists with low experience but Adriano is quite advanced aquarist and i think He has some experience in chemistry

The best thing in aquaristic is to do experiments, test etc, and only that way we have chance to be a good aquarists

P.S.
Look there is no algaes - so it works properly

More
22 Jan 2008 10:21 #10 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski)
i know and i have results plants grow about 5cm a day
no3 level is trace thats why i have to use that stuff pls tell me were can i buy here a full plants food system (like PG line ferlitizers)
only what you can get in here is a ferrum+ plant food based on the chip chellats (even not on the EDTA)
and prise is crazy compare to results what can you get on them i study chemical and process engenering and i spend fuew years in chemical laboratory
and i tell you something
do you know a tropica plant bottom substrate 3kg costs about 30e
is axacly the same as a chippest cat sand clay based make by tesco

More
22 Jan 2008 10:36 #11 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski)
Dobarchu wrote:

Nice tank. I've just planted my first tank. I was wondering how long dit it take your plants to grow to that stage? Also, I'm curious how you add the plant food, is it just added to the water?

before you put enything to your tank you must exacly know what is your no3 level
and P, and k
you must observe your tank every day
most important in planted tank is this:)

Liebig's Law of the Minimum, often simply called Liebig's Law or the Law of the Minimum, is a principle developed in agricultural science by Carl Sprengel (1828) and later popularized by Justus von Liebig. It states that growth is controlled not by the total of resources available, but by the scarcest resource. This concept was originally applied to plant or crop growth, where it was found that increasing the amount of plentiful nutrients did not increase plant growth. Only by increasing the amount of the limiting nutrient (the one most scarce in relation to \"need\") was the growth of a plant or crop improved.

Liebig used the image of a barrelnow called Liebig's barrelto explain his law. Just as the capacity of a barrel with staves of unequal length is limited by the shortest stave, so a plant's growth is limited by the nutrient in shortest supply.

Liebig's Law has been extended to biological populations (and is commonly used in ecosystem models). For example, the growth of an organism such as a plant may be dependent on a number of different factors, such as sunlight or mineral nutrients (e.g. nitrate or phosphate). The availability of these may vary, such that at any given time one is more limiting than the others. Liebig's Law states that growth only occurs at the rate permitted by the most limiting. For instance, in the equation below, the growth of population O is a function of the minimum of three Michaelis-Menten terms representing limitation by factors I, N and P.

from wiki:)

and plants can use a ferlitizers only if there is a proper light and proper co2 level in a water
if you just start dont put any plant food to your water
wait few weeks, and start wqhen the plants start growing

More
23 Jan 2008 01:09 #12 by Deeco (Deeco)
i know nothing bout planted tanks but have got advice on minor things from zig on this forum
over the last year and half and he is always spot on

the guy is a aquarium plant genius just check his previous posts and pfk magazine

i defo listen to him as he would have expeienced it all i'd imagine

once again zig i wish i were you

(but it must be hard work!!!)

:P :P :P :laugh: :laugh: B)

You know yourself

• russell (russell)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
23 Jan 2008 10:36 #13 by russell (russell)
Replied by russell (russell) on topic Re:new picture of me planted tank
Hi Deeco

I use nothing but Tertra \"Plantamin, 100mil bottle cost 7 euro, but I only dose once a week and only about 3 mil at a time.. so it is ecconomical,. and if you look at my planted tank you can see the results. there has been constant growth for the past 6 months, and I have to thin out every 2 weeks.

More
08 Feb 2008 12:32 #14 by fdx (Ludwik Wlodarz)
What you are using for water testing?

More
  • Valerie (Valerie)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Feb 2008 06:10 #16 by Valerie (Valerie)
Replied by Valerie (Valerie) on topic Re:new picture of me planted tank
Hi Adrian,
I think this is the wrong link. When clicking on it, I land in a Polish online shop for fish stuff. ;-)
Thanks and regards,
Valerie

More
26 Feb 2008 03:54 - 26 Feb 2008 03:57 #17 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski)
if you look on a picture you will see if i use a crazy test kit made by polish company - zoolek it cost about 20 e and its a verry good quality
if price is good,
anyway is a polish shop but the stuff what they have there is inpossible to get in ireland, they have about 300 species of plants, all types off ADA soils and ferlitizers, proffesional co2 systems, ph computers and everything what can you u immagine - unfortuntly that all nice things are not to buy in ireland, and i prepare a shipment from the shop if anybody is intrest pm me we can share shipment cost to safe a many
some of prices :
NEUTRAL PLANS SUBSTRATES
www.roslinyakwariowe.pl/sklep/podÂBoÂ|a-...tralne-c-26_295.html
SCROOL TO DOWN
www.roslinyakwariowe.pl/sklep/podÂBoÂ|a-...wozowe-c-26_294.html
bottom substrates with plant ferlitizers
scrool down
ADA SOILS
www.roslinyakwariowe.pl/sklep/podÂBoÂ|a-podÂBoÂ|a-c-26_296.html
SCROOL DOWN
www.roslinyakwariowe.pl/sklep/podÂBoÂ|a-...dÂBoÂ|a-c-26_30.html
PLANT ROOT FERLITIZERS (TO ADD TO THE SOIL)
SCROOL DOWN

IM LOOKING FOR A BLACK GRAVEL - LAST MONTH. IS A INPOSSIBLE TO GET IN DUBLIN
OFF COURSE I CAN GET A GLASS ONE BUT ITS CRAB AND DANGER FOR YOUR FISH AND YOUR HANDS TO

THEN IF ANYBODY WANT GET SOME PROFESIONAL AQUASCAPER STUFF PLS PM ME :)

PRISEZ ARE IN POLISH ZLOTY TO GET A PRISE IN EURO JUST 20 PLN = 5 EURO
AND IT WILL BE ABOUT 50E FOR 20 KILO DELIVERY
Last edit: 26 Feb 2008 03:57 by adriano210 (adrian kraszewski).

Time to create page: 0.080 seconds