Retirement and forum shutdown (17 Jan 2022)

Hi,

John Howell who has managed the forum for years is getting on and wishes to retire from the role of managing it.
Over the years, he has managed the forum through good days and bad days and he has always been fair.
He has managed to bring his passion for fish keeping to the forum and keep it going for so long.

I wish to thank John for his hard work in keeping the forum going.

With John wishing to "retire" from the role of managing the forum and the forum receiving very little traffic, I think we must agree that forum has come to a natural conclusion and it's time to put it to rest.

I am proposing that the forum be made read-only from March 2022 onwards and that no new users or content be created. The website is still registered for several more years, so the content will still be accessible but no new topics or replies will be allowed.

If there is interest from the ITFS or other fish keeping clubs, we may redirect traffic to them or to a Facebook group but will not actively manage it.

I'd like to thank everyone over the years who helped with forum, posted a reply, started a new topic, ask a question and helped a newbie in fish keeping. And thank you to the sponsors who helped us along the away. Hopefully it made the hobby stronger.

I'd especially like to thank John Howell and Valerie Rousseau for all of their contributions, without them the forum would have never been has successful.

Thank you
Darragh Sherwin

Java UK Plants

More
01 Nov 2006 02:45 #1 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Does anyone get there plants online from Java Plants in the UK?

I've bought stuff off them a few times now, they are very cheap and have a big selection of healthy plants.

I ordered a load of Amazon Swords and Java Fern recently. They arrived in perfect condition and the Swords were huge.

Recommend it to anyone with a planted tank. Even with the Sterling changeover they are very cheap.

The Tropica Plants in the shops are nice and healthy too but they are way too expensive.

Smoke me a Kipper, I’ll be back for breakfast.

Please Log in to join the conversation.

More
01 Nov 2006 05:09 #2 by Damian_Ireland (Damian_Ireland)
I am going to be ordering some plants from them later today.
So much cheaper than the Tropica stuff its not funny...

More
01 Nov 2006 06:31 #3 by essjay (S Jackson)
how much is shipping to Ireland?

More
01 Nov 2006 06:46 #4 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
£1.95 for shipping!!!!

Usually arrives fairly quickly too.

More
01 Nov 2006 08:41 #5 by essjay (S Jackson)
cheap alright. Might give them a bash soon....

More
01 Nov 2006 13:11 #6 by Mr Algae (mralgae mralgae)
havnt ordered any my self as of yet but know folk who have and had no problems. price is more than resionable even with shipping.

May your fish be with you:

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Nov 2006 17:01 #7 by Didihno (Didihno)
Replied by Didihno (Didihno) on topic Re: Java UK Plants
Hi Peter,
I'm looking for a floating plant with lots of leaves.
My aquarium light is freaking out the fish, they go beserk when its on and they keep ramming the glass to get out of the light.

Its only a 15w flourescent!
I went to Java and had a look around, very nice site!
But no leafy floaters, like lily leaves.
Its either plants like that or glue something to block most of the (direct) light to the bottom of the lamp enclosure.

Any suggestions?

D

More
08 Nov 2006 17:26 #8 by platty252 (Darren Dalton)
Hello Didihno, You could try some water hyacinth ( Eichhornia crassipes).
This is the only broad leaf plant i can think of for an aquarium.
I never had much luck with this myself in a tank due to the lights been to close to the surface and been to bright. The leaf's would end up burnt.
I keep this outside in the summer and it grows like crazy.

For the moment you could scatter some plastic plants across the surface.

I hope this is of some help.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
08 Nov 2006 17:40 #9 by Didihno (Didihno)

Hello Didihno, You could try some water hyacinth ( Eichhornia crassipes).
This is the only broad leaf plant i can think of for an aquarium.
I never had much luck with this myself in a tank due to the lights been to close to the surface and been to bright. The leaf's would end up burnt.
I keep this outside in the summer and it grows like crazy.

For the moment you could scatter some plastic plants across the surface.

I hope this is of some help.

Interesting idea!

Just realised I kind of hijacked Peters thread, oh well, thats what he gets for falling for my one and only football trick EVERY time.

More
09 Nov 2006 02:52 #10 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Didi,

Sounds like they need some type of sanctuary. A few plastic plants and some clay flower pots should do the trick. Its probably the best way to start.

You can then add a couple of real plants to see how they get on. What substrate have ya got, coarse gravel fine gravel or sand??

I can give ya a couple of Amazon Sword plants from my tank, give them a try. If they live, happy days, if not, no great loss. Got them cheap from Java in the UK.

Peter.

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
09 Nov 2006 08:39 #11 by Didihno (Didihno)

Didi,

Sounds like they need some type of sanctuary. A few plastic plants and some clay flower pots should do the trick. Its probably the best way to start.

You can then add a couple of real plants to see how they get on. What substrate have ya got, coarse gravel fine gravel or sand??

I can give ya a couple of Amazon Sword plants from my tank, give them a try. If they live, happy days, if not, no great loss. Got them cheap from Java in the UK.

Peter.

Sanctuary? Well they have three caves, but the plants aren't great, you know the fake dyed ferns (the real chaepo ones!!) and one fake plant with real thin leaves like a spider plant.
So theres no high level cover for the poor little mites, and this is what I should fix.

Today I left on the light when I left the house, they were going a bit mad, not as spooked as usual. I hope they're not all dead when I get home!

I might try some of those plants of yours, but I reckon I need something that sits along the surface.

More
14 Dec 2006 05:37 #12 by monty (monty)
Replied by monty (monty) on topic Re: Java UK Plants
I've ordered some plants from Java. - went for one of the plant collections. With Christmas they are indicating that any order placed between 12th Dec and 4th Jan will not be sent out until week of Jan 8th which is understandable. Once I receive them I'll let you know how they are.

One point is the price of them which is so much cheaper than buying in a LFS, leaving aside the variety available.

Monty

More
14 Dec 2006 06:12 #13 by davep (davep)
Replied by davep (davep) on topic Re: Java UK Plants
I have boght from them many times in the past. I always found that the collections were of a lower quality than buying individual plants. The only problem I ever had with them was that they would substitute one plant with another if what you ordered was not available.
Never any problems with delivery.

More
14 Dec 2006 16:11 #14 by Deeco (Deeco)
Replied by Deeco (Deeco) on topic Re: Java UK Plants
got a shipment last week 25 amazon sword's 25 JAVA fern 25 malayan swords and 25 valis corkscrew for 35 euro how are those malayan swords i gave you peter

You know yourself

More
15 Dec 2006 03:38 #15 by Peter OB (Peter O'Brien)
Grand, I bunched them together. I took all of the dodgy looking stems off them and planted them. They are looking well.

• apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
22 Dec 2006 03:45 #16 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Replied by apistodiscus (apistodiscus) on topic Re: Java UK Plants
They sell plants that are not suitable for the aquarium (for example Caladium Bleeding Heart). Big minus. They are also not particularly cheap when you compare what's available on ebay.

More
03 Jan 2007 08:49 #17 by monty (monty)
Replied by monty (monty) on topic Re: Java UK Plants
I must have ordered prior to the Christmas deadline as my plant collection 36 inch Discus arrived 22nd December. I was a little concerned prior to opening as I was guessing that the delivery may have been delayed due to the bad weather in UK that week - remember the fog and the impacts to flights and ferries ... anyway all OK. Everything I expected was there, packed nicely and comes with some foam and lead weight. All plants are growing well. Only comment was the size of some of the plants could have been a little larger - however the main objectives of - checking them out for myself and getting a range of plants I have not used before and have not seen readily available in LFS have been met

Monty

More
10 Apr 2007 08:26 #18 by steven (steven)
Replied by steven (steven) on topic Re: Java UK Plants
Got my delivery from Java plants today 2 and a half weeks since original order. I ordered 25 mixed plants to be divided between 2 tanks. When i opened the box this morning i was suprised to see 25 mixed brown plants in brown water and when opening a bag the smell was unmercyful needless to say they all have pride of place in my wheelie bin...i contacted java plants and they told me that once it leaves there warehouse its outta there hands and its An Post thats at fault so im probably the first unhappy customer.

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

More
10 Apr 2007 08:44 #19 by Deeco (Deeco)
They Would have been left in sorting office from thursday maybe even wednesday

You know yourself

• Didihno (Didihno)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Apr 2007 02:05 #20 by Didihno (Didihno)
And you have learned a very important lesson my friend.
Our postal system is shit.
So is the english one.

If there is ANY public/bank holiday or event of any kind you can rely on delays of up to a week. I buy a lot of stuff on ebay and have experience with postal systems from all over the world.

I have no hesitation in saying this.

Of all of the worlds postal systems, the Irish and English ones are by FAR the worst in terms of price structure, delivery times, quality of looking after the parcel and approachability of the staff to explain just why your box marked delicate has been used as a fucking football on its way from Essex to Dublin.

• Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Apr 2007 04:24 #21 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
I would not let Java plants get away with it. They damn well knew that there was a bank holiday coming up. They have Easter in the UK as well... They shouldn't have mailed the parcel off.
I also order a lot of stuff on ebay. A parcel from Egypt got to me in 3 days, my credit card statment coming from Dublin needed more than a week. And that despite my wife's shopping habits still comes as a letter...
Once stuff comes from outside the EU it seems to get to you faster even though officially it still has to clear customs. Pair of shoes from LA took 4 working days, a spare part for a powerhead from Germany took 2 weeks.
I also ordered some LEDs from Germany and they only took 2 days mailed on the same day as the spare part for the powerhead. And the two sellers I bought it from have their shops not 20 miles away from each other.
Best thing is to use internet sellers who use private shipping companies. As I have mentioned it in some post before, I have ordered plants from two ebay shops in Germany before and I was very happy with them. Delivery time was 3 working days

• S180de (S180de)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Apr 2007 06:21 #22 by S180de (S180de)
Replied by S180de (S180de) on topic Re: Java UK Plants
I actually ordered from Java about two weeks ago and gave them a call to delay the shipment until the 10th due to the Easter break. No problem at all, very friendly service. Will let you know when the plants arrive and what their conditions are.

• lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden)
  • Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Apr 2007 15:07 #23 by lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden)
Replied by lucky_dresden (lucky_dresden) on topic An Post
Our postmen don't even bother bringing the boxes to the door. They sneak up to the door, drop the notice through the letterbox and feck off.

My wife caught the post "person" who hadn't rang the bell and tried to leg it, she admitted she hadn't brought the parcel as nobody is ever in.

An Post can stick their benchmarking up their a*se.

Lucky

• Visitor
  • Visitor
11 Apr 2007 15:13 #24 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
I have a hilarious one for you, that is if you share my sick sense of humour. One of my buddie's brother died about four years ago over in the UK and got cremated. The ashes were sent to Ireland to be scattered at various locations. The postman put the parcel at the back of the house. The dog tore it apart and the ashes got scattered liberally over serveral backyards.
I'm sure they could have sued for mental anguish but everybody was too busy laughing their arse off :D

More
11 Apr 2007 15:25 #25 by Deeco (Deeco)
Had an order delivered Thursday to mothers cause never home when postman is around from aquatics online.
She Got the notice to collect from sorting office Thursday she says this was strange as she was there all day,
Mother, the wonderful woman she is, decides to collect it obviously Tuesday morning,
Then gets told she was lucky it was still there, half an hour later he was shipping it back to Jackie in aquatics

Shams

You know yourself

More
16 Apr 2007 11:30 #26 by steven (steven)
Replied by steven (steven) on topic Re: Java UK Plants

I would not let Java plants get away with it. They damn well knew that there was a bank holiday coming up. They have Easter in the UK as well... They shouldn't have mailed the parcel off.
I also order a lot of stuff on ebay. A parcel from Egypt got to me in 3 days, my credit card statment coming from Dublin needed more than a week. And that despite my wife's shopping habits still comes as a letter...
Once stuff comes from outside the EU it seems to get to you faster even though officially it still has to clear customs. Pair of shoes from LA took 4 working days, a spare part for a powerhead from Germany took 2 weeks.
I also ordered some LEDs from Germany and they only took 2 days mailed on the same day as the spare part for the powerhead. And the two sellers I bought it from have their shops not 20 miles away from each other.
Best thing is to use internet sellers who use private shipping companies. As I have mentioned it in some post before, I have ordered plants from two ebay shops in Germany before and I was very happy with them. Delivery time was 3 working days

Took you're advice rang them back and happy to say a Female supervisor rang me back this afternoon and the order will be replaced immediatly and she assures me its a 1 off doesn't happen often and the holiday weekend delayed the order by 5 days which was fatal to the plants. At least a happy ending and thumbs up for Java Plants and there customer relations. :P

Treat every day like your last, some day it will be??

• Visitor
  • Visitor
16 Apr 2007 12:30 #27 by apistodiscus (apistodiscus)
Just goes to show. Sometimes you need to bitch to get your way

Time to create page: 0.083 seconds